First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
So I had a 2011 JKU with the 3.8l. It had an oil consumption issue. Known issue. Ended up blowing up the bottom end at like 53,000 miles.

At the same time I had a brand new Cherokee Trailhawk. The Cherokee ended up having massive transmission problems (which no there is a recall for) and a leaking rear trans axle.

My local dealership was (and still is) completely inept and incapable of doing the right thing.

They patched up the bottom end of my wrangler and gave it back. I told them that it wasn't going to fix it and within 500 miles I dropped it back off. The eventually put in a rebuilt motor. Which the should have done 3 months earlier. The dealership charged me a $500 warranty fee (which I think was illegal).

So, for well over 5 months, I was living out of rental cars. @JeepCares was the worst and they really let me down. It was such a stressful time that after the 6th or 7th time of having the Cherokee in the shop, one night I picked it up and drove it straight to the Toyota dealership. I bought a Tacoma and a Corrola. I was defeated. The truck was cool but the car was lame. I lost over $6,500 on the cherokee and over $9,000 invested in my Wrangler.

My wife vowed to never buy a wrangler again. 5 years later. I found a used 2dr JL Rubicon with some aftermarket parts on it. It had only 4,500 miles. So I sat and watched its price go down for a few months. Then bought it. Its been great and have had zero issues with it. I will however rather burn the thing to the ground over taking it back to the dealership. I pray I never have to get corporate involved in any issues. If I'm lucky, I'll baby this thing and it will do alright.

I'm soo glad to be back in a vehicle that fits my lifestyle. I'm actually going early next month to Moab, Colorado, and the Rubicon for a week or so. Oh, and the wife tries to drive it all the time.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
So I had a 2011 JKU with the 3.8l. It had an oil consumption issue. Known issue. Ended up blowing up the bottom end at like 53,000 miles.

At the same time I had a brand new Cherokee Trailhawk. The Cherokee ended up having massive transmission problems (which no there is a recall for) and a leaking rear trans axle.

My local dealership was (and still is) completely inept and incapable of doing the right thing.

They patched up the bottom end of my wrangler and gave it back. I told them that it wasn't going to fix it and within 500 miles I dropped it back off. The eventually put in a rebuilt motor. Which the should have done 3 months earlier. The dealership charged me a $500 warranty fee (which I think was illegal).

So, for well over 5 months, I was living out of rental cars. @JeepCares was the worst and they really let me down. It was such a stressful time that after the 6th or 7th time of having the Cherokee in the shop, one night I picked it up and drove it straight to the Toyota dealership. I bought a Tacoma and a Corrola. I was defeated. The truck was cool but the car was lame. I lost over $6,500 on the cherokee and over $9,000 invested in my Wrangler.

My wife vowed to never buy a wrangler again. 5 years later. I found a used 2dr JL Rubicon with some aftermarket parts on it. It had only 4,500 miles. So I sat and watched its price go down for a few months. Then bought it. Its been great and have had zero issues with it. I will however rather burn the thing to the ground over taking it back to the dealership. I pray I never have to get corporate involved in any issues. If I'm lucky, I'll baby this thing and it will do alright.

I'm soo glad to be back in a vehicle that fits my lifestyle. I'm actually going early next month to Moab, Colorado, and the Rubicon for a week or so. Oh, and the wife tries to drive it all the time.
Apparently time heals some wounds! Good luck.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I think you have reason to be optimistic. First, Jeep has improved markedly in the most recent quality ratings. Secondly, I own a JK (yes, a 3.8) and still love it, but the JL is just better in every way imaginable. Mine was very early production in the first year and 2.5 years/34k miles later, it has been nearly perfect. I had a steering damper recall (I put in a Fox) and now the manual transmission recall, (mine has exhibited no problems whatsoever) and that's it. I haven't found so much as a paint run on it. I've flogged the hell out of it off-road, too, so it has taken a beating. So it is as tough as it is fun.

Good luck with your Jeep! Btw, I've had some issues with the JK over the years, but I wouldn't trade them for a boring vehicle. My kids have so many great memories growing up taking adventures in that Jeep. It has given us FAR more than it has taken. And, it still soldiers on, looking and driving like new while drinking 3/4 quart of oil every 1k miles, LOL! One day, I'm sure the bottom end or something will drop out of it, but who knows? It is at 142k now.

Let's see some pics!

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Dealer ineptitude is a really big deal in the FCA world. Over the last two years I have bought two Jeeps which I love and always figured if I decided to keep them past the warranty I could buy the Mopar extended warranty and be fine. I am beginning to rethink this since having warranty and getting things fixed doesn't seem to happen easily.

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
I am new to Jeeps, and even though I'll still never have one of those "you wouldn't understand..." stickers, the reason I bought it was because I was convinced that the JL represents a fundamental quality shift for Jeep. It's build quality, fit and finish, comfort, and usability all remind me of my 2012 4Runner, and the Jeep has much more personality than the lobotomized Toyota ever had. The dang thing sure is fun to drive and we look forward to taking it on trips too.

Hoping I got a good one, as I'd like to keep it for the long term, too.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I know exactly how you feel. I also went to Toyota...briefly.

If Wranglers weren’t so addictive Jeep would be out of business by now —and FCA would be in financial trouble.

I now have a 2018 JLU Sahara with 4,500 miles on it. It’s been surprisingly trouble-free as well. But I have learned not to take anything for granted. I enjoy my Jeep one day at a time, and try to keep away from the dealer, and from FCA.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I have a 18 sport JLU and its been pretty trouble free. only issue i have had is a rear main seal failure at 4500 miles. but the local dealer was able to get it fixed within a week after i found it...( waiting on the part from fca) i am now at 11500 miles and most have been in the dirt as the wrangler is not a daily driver more of the weekend warrior. I am thankful to not have gotten the extended warranty as i will not be returning my jeep to a dealer unless it is warranty work until its up. took it for the recall on the manual trans... worst mistake look up the test procedure they're doing more harm than good with their terrible test procedure. anyways other than that the jeep has been 100% reliable and one of my more fun vehicles to drive. I don't think it can take away the number one spot from my 76 gmc k15. nothing like 400 horses rumbling down the road.

OP
OP
Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I know exactly how you feel. I also went to Toyota...briefly.

If Wranglers weren’t so addictive Jeep would be out of business by now —and FCA would be in financial trouble.

I now have a 2018 JLU Sahara with 4,500 miles on it. It’s been surprisingly trouble-free as well. But I have learned not to take anything for granted. I enjoy my Jeep one day at a time, and try to keep away from the dealer, and from FCA.
enter the Bronco... lol. but seriously all the "its a Jeep" things need to be rectified if the Bronco ends up being a reliable competitor.

OP
OP
Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I think you have reason to be optimistic. First, Jeep has improved markedly in the most recent quality ratings. Secondly, I own a JK (yes, a 3.8) and still love it, but the JL is just better in every way imaginable. Mine was very early production in the first year and 2.5 years/34k miles later, it has been nearly perfect. I had a steering damper recall (I put in a Fox) and now the manual transmission recall, (mine has exhibited no problems whatsoever) and that's it. I haven't found so much as a paint run on it. I've flogged the hell out of it off-road, too, so it has taken a beating. So it is as tough as it is fun.

Good luck with your Jeep! Btw, I've had some issues with the JK over the years, but I wouldn't trade them for a boring vehicle. My kids have so many great memories growing up taking adventures in that Jeep. It has given us FAR more than it has taken. And, it still soldiers on, looking and driving like new while drinking 3/4 quart of oil every 1k miles, LOL! One day, I'm sure the bottom end or something will drop out of it, but who knows? It is at 142k now.

Let's see some pics!
I keep finding improvements over the JK. its insane. to modify a JK to make it a JL would cost 10's of thousands of dollars. overall I am really impressed with the evolution
Sponsored