Sponsored

So!!! Getting ready to go rough camping? Show your gear!!

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Here is my current setup

I’ll do around 17+ major trips a year and a dozen or more day trips, roughly around 90 days or so a year off road camping. We try to go to places less traveled and where you need a good off road rig to get there.

The cabinet system is 100% carbon fiber, the drawer faces are carbon fiber Kevlar composite, weighs in at 30lbs.
Built in grill
ARB twin air
ARB 50qt fridge
Baja design OnX6 lighting.
Warn Zion platinum S10 winch
And the list goes on.

I can set up my entire camp in under 5 minutes, break down ready to roll in 10-15 minutes depending on the mess from the night before.
Let me know if anyone has any questions

B714B240-40F7-4D9B-85E9-A47767D83D5C.jpeg
Hey James, Looks good!

It looks like you do some crazy trails with that iKamper. My wife likes that tent since we could get our kids in it. I am trying to decide between that and a roofnest Falcon and making the kids sleep in the Jeep.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Popgun05

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU RUBICON
Do you build these as a business or take commissioned work?
Just little side business for me. I have another one done and for sale right now if you’re interested we can make a deal.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Built from scratch. 2” square tube and sheet metal.

6E67B7C8-9E53-4E1A-81A4-141467D82053.jpeg

FDBB3ABB-CEA5-4536-AAA0-70947D9FD861.jpeg

12F9DCD1-9D61-488D-A3E9-BC3EF24A9075.jpeg
Very impressive!

Realize what I’m about to say is based on absolutely no understanding of trailer building, but I was surprised that it costs $2000. Again please realize I have no knowledge what-so-ever and I know you can’t read tone in a post so I’m hoping I sound like I’m impressed (because I am) and also honestly curious!

Also I was wondering why you left the inside hollow? After multiple builds I’m sure you’ve found what works for you. I’m asking this because I’m starting to get interested in getting a trailer and I’d like to learn from the more experienced.

I would likely need to haul 4 bikes, possible a kayak or two ( I like to fly fish and mountain bike)
I’d be mainly camping 2-3 nights at a time, so I’m also wondering about cooking/cooling. Would I need a portable fridge.

And then there’s the question of RTT vs. Ground!

Basically I’m just rattling stuff from the top of my brain here.

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
This is packing for a family of 4. Not much space in the JL but i make do. Most of the boxes contain sleeping bags and pads.

Jeep Wrangler JL So!!! Getting ready to go rough camping? Show your gear!! Ipix27m

Everything is behind the rear seat since we need the space

Jeep Wrangler JL So!!! Getting ready to go rough camping? Show your gear!! Ipix27m
Looks like you are ready for a good time

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We just did 4 days of camping at Rausch Creek, Pennsylvania

Jeep Wrangler JL So!!! Getting ready to go rough camping? Show your gear!! 1603708596503

Jeep Wrangler JL So!!! Getting ready to go rough camping? Show your gear!! 1603708620589

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Just little side business for me. I have another one done and for sale right now if you’re interested we can make a deal.
So it's ~2k to make, but what would you charge for a finished one? I'd be interested around tax return time. You're not too terribly far from me

I do kind of want to try building one. It looks like fun

Sponsored

DylanBrown

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Rough camping? It's when your car stopped to function and you have to call a tow truck to escape, lol. Yeah, it wasn't the best camping in my life but at least I checked out my new tactical flashlight which I bought several months ago. It turned out to be very bright and persistent. If you want to make your camping safe at night you should check https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight-Flashlights-Water-resistant-Accessories/dp/B089T8HDBV and choose among these flashlights. I think if I didn't have it during my camping it would be absolutely awful.

Last edited:

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, I'm planning on a 3-4 week cross country road trip in my 2 door JL.

Got pictures of your cargo area? I'm building mine out, hopefully will finish in the coming weeks.

https://donmontalvo.com
this is before we got the new Jeep, now we split the load between two 2 doors, much nicer.
Sponsored