Sponsored

So, can you drive off with your Jeep plugged in?

ChadP

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Unlimited 4xe Rubicon
Just wondering if the Jeeps are smart enough to not let you drive off with the cord attached. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored

pmlane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Only one way to find out! 😁

In all seriousness starting and engaging Drive should tell you real quick. I don't think you'd actually have to "gas it" to get a warning/be stopped.

It'd be easy enough to implement (they won't let you get out of the car in drive already, don't ask me how I know). Maybe I'll give it a go later and report back!

OP
OP
ChadP

ChadP

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only one way to find out! 😁

In all seriousness starting and engaging Drive should tell you real quick. I don't think you'd actually have to "gas it" to get a warning/be stopped.

It'd be easy enough to implement (they won't let you get out of the car in drive already, don't ask me how I know). Maybe I'll give it a go later and report back!
Yeah, I'd give it a try, but it isn't "my" jeep to mess around with.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I keep my non 4Xe on a trickle charger. When it is plugged in I have a “Remove Before Flight” type tag on the driver door handle.

Please don’t ask me why I do this. 😅

Sponsored

pfletcher229648

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR w/SOT, 2024 JLUR X w/SOT(On Order)
Occupation
CIO
I often times use remote start to crank up the Rubicon, many time after I jump in and wonder why I can't put the car in drive, open the windows, or a host of other things, I then realize I haven't actually started the Jeep. Jeep has done a lot to try and help people from doing stupid stuff.

The one thing that always puzzles me though, is I can remote start my jeep and no one has to push the brake. However, I can't just hop in and push the start button without putting my foot on the brake. The Jeep knows it's in park, I don't see what the issue is.

OP
OP
ChadP

ChadP

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Confirmed! Plenty of idiot lights and It won't shift out of park.

Jeep Wrangler JL So, can you drive off with your Jeep plugged in? 20230110_105911
Good to know. Thanks for testing it for me. 23.3 is pretty good average

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I often times use remote start to crank up the Rubicon, many time after I jump in and wonder why I can't put the car in drive, open the windows, or a host of other things, I then realize I haven't actually started the Jeep. Jeep has done a lot to try and help people from doing stupid stuff.

The one thing that always puzzles me though, is I can remote start my jeep and no one has to push the brake. However, I can't just hop in and push the start button without putting my foot on the brake. The Jeep knows it's in park, I don't see what the issue is.
then we would lose the important Run stage

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
just so I'm following ;) In this scenario would Mike Meyers be the "Jeep," and the jungle gym the "charger?"

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
Already answered but just chiming in, you cannot. It won't let you shift, and it will tell you on the cluster screen; "You are still plugged in, idiot!" - maybe not the idiot part, but that's how I feel every time I forget to unplug it.

wardo5757

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4Xe Rubicon
When you’re plugged into the charger it will not go into gear. You can move the shifter to reverse or drive but it will blink the park light and not go into any gear. It will do the same if you try to move from park with the door open, but that function is disabled when the doors are off thankfully!
Sponsored