Sponsored

So Are We Supposed to Wave to Renegades?

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
Renegades, maybe. I would only return a wave though. You go around waving to all the renegades you see and there will be a lot of confused soccer moms out there.

Under no circumstances should you ever wave to a compass. It's an embarrassment to the Jeep name. They should spend whatever it costs to recall them all and destroy them. Replace it for the owners with a Subaru or something. Wait I take it back, perhaps it would be ok to wave at a compass provided only one finger was extended.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Renegades, maybe. I would only return a wave though. You go around waving to all the renegades you see and there will be a lot of confused soccer moms out there.

Under no circumstances should you ever wave to a compass. It's an embarrassment to the Jeep name. They should spend whatever it costs to recall them all and destroy them. Replace it for the owners with a Subaru or something. Wait I take it back, perhaps it would be ok to wave at a compass provided only one finger was extended.

New Compass or the original Compass that didn't even get a trail rating?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's someone with a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk doing a few trails in Moab at the Jeepnanigans 2018 event. They've got a lift kit, front winch bumper, rear bumper, and a snorkel from AVID Essentials . To each their own but as @Sean L says they do cost ~10k less than a JL.
Nice, looks like there is a good cult following for the Renegade actually.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I didn't know there was a new compass. Sad. I'm referring to any compass. Not a Jeep.
Yeah, I though they'd kill it when they killed the Patriot (also terrible), especially because one could just buy a Renegade (a bit smaller) or a Cherokee (a bit bigger) and be well within the same price range ($20-30k). Instead, they redesigned it to look exactly like the Cherokee. But, at least you can get a Trail Rated Trailhawk version, so it is officially a Jeep (at least in that incarnation).

2018-Jeep-Compass-Capability-Mastering-Hill-Descent-Control.jpg.image.1440.jpg

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I though they'd kill it when they killed the Patriot (also terrible), especially because one could just buy a Renegade (a bit smaller) or a Cherokee (a bit bigger) and be well within the same price range ($20-30k). Instead, they redesigned it to look exactly like the Cherokee. But, at least you can get a Trail Rated Trailhawk version, so it is officially a Jeep (at least in that incarnation).

2018-Jeep-Compass-Capability-Mastering-Hill-Descent-Control.jpg.image.1440.jpg
I came pretty close to checking out the new Compass, and I test drove a Patriot before (Not sure where the complaints come from) but to me, I just liked the Wrangler better, even though I don't NEED the capabilities. I found the Cherokee (until MY 2019) to be too oddly styled to really consider, and the Renegade was just too small.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I. Only. Wave. To. Jeeps. To me a jeep is a wrangler tj, yj, cj, ect. No compass, no renegade, no cherokee. Love me or hate me. My hand only goes up in a happy lil peace sign for what I consider a true jeep. Dont care if it goes off road or to target. My wave is for the people who love the unique awesomeness of the only vehicle like it in the world.

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I. Only. Wave. To. Jeeps. To me a jeep is a wrangler tj, yj, cj, ect. No compass, no renegade, no cherokee. Love me or hate me. My hand only goes up in a happy lil peace sign for what I consider a true jeep. Dont care if it goes off road or to target. My wave is for the people who love the unique awesomeness of the only vehicle like it in the world.
This^ for me , with the addition of old Wagoneers also. Just because I still think they are awesome.

Never had another Jeep model even attempt to wave, although I would wave back out of general politeness.

Last edited:

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
It's not a southern thing at all. We wave a ton here in New York, but because we're number one, we wave with just the one finger...I mean, almost everyone I pass aggressively waves at me in this fashion. Good ol' NY hospitality.
Wish I could like twice! :clap:

Marlene

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a little disappointed in the LACK of waves I've gotten since I got my JL. There are many wranglers out there and I have only gotten 3 waves. I wave every time I see one (i know...a little desperate) and had only 1 returned. New Yorkers are a little jaded :facepalm:
Me Too... Had a 2009 Wrangler X Sport for 9 years before and Waves Galore Everywhere... now with my new 2018 Wrangler JL ... NADA!
Feel like the ugly stepchild.
:crying::(:brokenhearted:
LOL

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I really love the wave. Every time I drive I get at least one. Although yesterday some guy walking his dog was waving enthusiastically at me. My kids concluded that he was: 1. just a nice guy. 2 mistake for someone else (doubt this bc we were 5 feet away) 3. An enthusiastic Jeep owner or 4. Creeper

Marlene

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Wait. Are you a time traveler?!
tenor.gif
Bhahahaha!!!! Sorry meant I HAD a "2009 Wrangler Sport X". My Bad...

Me Too... Had a 2009 Wrangler X Sport for 9 years before and Waves Galore Everywhere...
now with my new 2018 Wrangler JL ... NADA!
LOL

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Bhahahaha!!!! Sorry meant I HAD a "2009 Wrangler Sport X". My Bad...

Me Too... Had a 2009 Wrangler X Sport for 9 years before and Waves Galore Everywhere...
now with my new 2018 Wrangler JL ... NADA!
LOL
My return wave ratio has also taken a hit. Let's hope it's just growing pains. I wave no matter what. I'm a dork that way.

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
TLDR...

The newer vehicle should initiate the wave.

I only wave to Wranglers & CJs. I'll return the wave from other Jeep brand vehicles if I notice them. I also wave to a handful of former CJ/Wrangler owners (I know personally) driving other Jeep vehicles.
Sponsored