Sponsored

So Are We Supposed to Wave to Renegades?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The newer vehicle should initiate the wave.
So if you meet up with another JLU driving the other way, do you pull over and compare build dates to decide who waves first? :idea:

Marlene

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
So if you meet up with another JLU driving the other way, do you pull over and compare build dates to decide who waves first? :idea:
LOL... I was thinking the same thing.

Dang, I been doing this wrong the whole time ;)
Newer Jeep... Guess I will be initiating a whole lot of waving!

Sponsored

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Ha ha, no :cwl:, that's statement was mainly for Jl -> JK -> TJ -> YJ -> CJ. If you see another JL/JLU, it's up to you, but I usually wave once I see them :like:

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
Here's someone with a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk doing a few trails in Moab at the Jeepnanigans 2018 event. They've got a lift kit, front winch bumper, rear bumper, and a snorkel from AVID Essentials . To each their own but as @Sean L says they do cost ~10k less than a JL.

#jeepnanigans 001.jpg

#jeepnanigans 002.jpg

#jeepnanigans 003.jpg

Jeepnanigans 2018 - Jeep Renegade.jpg

Jeepnanigans 2018 - Jeep Renegade AVID.jpg
Love those pictures! Well, we bought our Renegade for my wife because it had better road manners than a Wrangler and it seemed to have the off road capabilities we need? We must drive bad roads and off road on a daily basis. The Renegade does that better than any vehicle we have owned INCLUDING our 4WD trucks. Nope, I can't pull stumps with her Renegade nor can I pull another vehicle. But the Rene will go many places our F-150 can't and other SUV's, including a full-sized Durango wouldn't.

Funny thing is my wife and I likely drive off road more than those with their "Trail Rated" Rubicons? And I was driving a Jeep Scrambler before most of these posters were on this earth. If you don't wave at me, so what. I'll still be waving at you and it will make ME feel good!

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
This is my first Wrangler and I'm loving that every other Wrangler on the road is giving me waves when I'm out driving. I also had a fair number of JK and even TJ owners approach me and ask for my opinion on the JL. It's been really fun.

This morning I had an awkward encounter at a red light. As I was sitting there, I looked across the intersection and saw an orange Renegade looking over at me. As soon I glanced his way, the wave came up. It felt like a desperate plea for validation - like when a nerdy guy waves to the hottest girl in school when he thinks she's looking his way.

Me being the guy I am, I threw a wave back his way. But now I'm wondering if this is a breach of protocol. Are Wranglers the only Jeeps that exchange waves? Are Jeeps supposed to only wave to like models? Are Renegades even considered Jeeps?

Veterans - help me out here!

I have never been aware of any specific rules in 30+ years. In the early 80's, Cherokee and Wagoneer drivers weren't waving. I wasn't driving in the 70's & I don't know where/when this started.

The Jeep wave used to be a simple congenial acknowledgement; a subtle gesture amongst the CJ drivers saying, "I like what you've done there" ...whether it be for a lift, rims, off-road tires, clean or dirty, custom paint, etc., a sunny topless no door day, a smiling driver, or for just driving a stock CJ (& descendants) down the road.

The wave is much more of a treat than an obligation.

Today, whether you're rolling stock with kids and groceries in the back or burning up your wheel bearings with 3" spacers, deep offset rims & fat rubber, I will probably wave. I always wave back.

If somebody doesn't respond, I'm still happy.

We have the Jeep Wave because we are free happy people. No rules!

Cheers,
Jake

jee20pca20.jpg

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
When you see a Mojito Wrangler be sure to wave...the youngest member of the family, guaranteed!

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
The wave was started many, many years ago with CJ's, for me 1965. In 1965 there were probably only100 of them in NE!

I think the wave should stay with the CJ/Wrangler format. I've had two Cherokee Trailhawks since 2015 and only had occasional waves from others Cherokees exactly with the same color and TH's.

I think you can wave at all the jeeps you want but I truly believe it should stay as above. Yup the Renegade is still a Jeep and pretty darn nifty! Yes my remaining Cherokee TH with the electric locker rear axle will go anywhere my JLU will go just gotta be really much more careful of ground clearance! I don't wave at Cherokees, yup stuck up! lol

Go Jeep!!!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
As someone who drives a Renegade, I take offense. ...
I'm hard to offend, and I wasn't offended by the comment, but I also own a Renegade. They're surprisingly great vehicles.

Not to mention, my brother drives a Renegade and that thing is bloody awesome. Compared to any other vehicle in that segment I would take one of those every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Agreed. For that segment, it is by far the best choice. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.
In fact my wife's Renegade is what prompted me to buy my first Wrangler. I traded my Ram, which was just plain awesome. I've had various trucks for over 20 years, and decided to buy a Jeep because that Renegade was so dang fun to drive, and capable to boot.
The Renegade was a bit small for me (perfect for my wife who traded her Grand Cherokee for it), so I bought a Wrangler.

I'm a little disappointed in the LACK of waves I've gotten since I got my JL....
Really? I got a wave the day I was test driving my JL.

.... In any event, no reason not to wave back if someone waives at you. No special Jeep rules about being courteous.....
Exactly.

...Here, if you happen to catch someone's eye you just wave. Or if someone lets you in while merging you give them a little wave. Or sometimes it's a nice day and you are in a good mood and you just wave.

Doesn't matter what they are driving.
Not just a southern thing, it's a midwest thing too. Heck I wave at people if they're sitting on the porch and they catch my eye. It's just a nice thing to do.

Wave ediquite in Wichita Kansas...
  1. .......
  2. .......
  3. If a peace officer does not see a returned wave, he legally has the right to stop you for
    1. Inattentive driving
    2. Texting
    3. Drinking
    4. If you have Colorado tags, you are probably stoned, and your going to be sentenced to the big house.
Ha ha. I may have laughed at that a little to hard, but that was funny.

I... I had a Renegade, and it's an awesome little car. Thing is spectacular in the snow. More than a few snowstorms where I'd chug along just fine while big, tough pick up trucks would be spinning their wheels and sliding into sidewalks lol
I'm still amazed at how capable my wife's Rene is. They don't look like much, but there is definitely Jeep blood under that passive exterior. I don't think any Renegade owners think they're going to compete with a Wrangler off road, and the only people I've heard make that argument/comparison are Wrangler owners.
It's like a corvette owner touting superiority to a mustang. Well duh, it's not the same market. How about you compare the mustang to the camaro, which are like models. When comparing the Renegade to its like models it wins, hands down, in true Jeep fashion.
My wife's lift just showed up yesterday, which I'll be putting on soon, but even with that we don't expect it to compete with the Wrangler. She didn't want a Wrangler. She wanted something smaller that was still capable of handling the Lake Effect Snow we get here in N.E. Ohio. The lift is just something to make it a little tougher looking, and maybe add a little more ground clearance.

If someone waves at me do I wave back? Yes....Why?
Because I'm not a "Dick" and I grew up in the MidWest where everyone gives you a wave and they stop to make sure you're ok if you are parked along the road. It just the right thing to do.
Amen to that.

They are definitely Jeeps, but I think the discussion here was whether to wave or not to wave.... ....I'm sure it's the same with other specialized car models.
Cars maybe, but when you're on 2 wheels you get waves from every type of motorcycle, not just one specific brand or trim.

.... If you don't wave at me, so what. I'll still be waving at you and it will make ME feel good!
Truest post of the thread right there. Bravo.
Sponsored