So anyone run 2 sets of tires?

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
So I'm thinking of running 2 sets of tires off road and street tires. Street would be 35's and off road would be 37's. So a little back ground info. I have a sport JLU with rubi axles, 8 speed auto and currently 35's. I am thinking of regearing and was thinking of 4.88 gears. My question is would that work for 35's on road (pretty sure it will from all the research I've done and things I've read), and 37's off road? Just trying to avoid some of the wear and tear of running 37's on my daily driver, and I'm not sure how long I will still live by some awesome trails out in Cali. So I guess my main question is how well will a Sport crawl with 37's and 4.88's?
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
4.88's will be fine with 37's.

What type of tire are you wanting to run and what is your use case? Assuming you're rock crawling you could run a set of beadlocks on 37" Nitto's for instance, and daily drive stock wheels on 37" KO2's. That's what I would do. Then you're not worrying about changing speedo all the time either.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
4.88's will be fine with 37's.

What type of tire are you wanting to run and what is your use case? Assuming you're rock crawling you could run a set of beadlocks on 37" Nitto's for instance, and daily drive stock wheels on 37" KO2's. That's what I would do. Then you're not worrying about changing speedo all the time either.
I 2nd this. The OP's idea of having street & off-road tires is good but switching somewhat randomly between different sizes introduces all sorts of problems. In addition to speedo, it will also confuse the trans shift points if it's an auto and could confuse the driver if it's a manual.

I run two sets of tires myself but it's summer off-road tires & winter on-road tires, same size.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I think the gearing wouldn’t be an issue, but I’d look at how much you drive and how soft the tread is.

Haven’t run two sets for off road, but swapping for track tires was a PITA and wouldn’t have done it if I could have actually run them on the street and had them last. And you have to get them there with you.

OP
OP
Bluebeast

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Well I love my Duratrac's for DD, and quick day trips up to the mountains with the family especiallywhen it's snowing or icy. I was thinking of 37 milestars for off reading. By off roading it is a bit of rock crawling out here in Norcal. If Goodyear would ever make a 37 Duratrac I wouldn't be debating on this at all (huge hint just incase any Goodyear reps ever stop by). I know a few friends at work that feel the same way. So how bad is it on the tranny to run one size 85% of the time and another 15% of the time? I can change tire size for the computer.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Well I love my Duratrac's for DD, and quick day trips up to the mountains with the family especiallywhen it's snowing or icy. I was thinking of 37 milestars for off reading. By off roading it is a bit of rock crawling out here in Norcal. If Goodyear would ever make a 37 Duratrac I wouldn't be debating on this at all (huge hint just incase any Goodyear reps ever stop by). I know a few friends at work that feel the same way. So how bad is it on the tranny to run one size 85% of the time and another 15% of the time? I can change tire size for the computer.
I wouldn’t worry about your tranny.

Whats your concern on your DD’s tread wear?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried KO2?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I run 2 sets of 35s.

Im going to strongly suggest you buy yourself a cordless 1/2 drive impact for quick wheel changes, assuming you dont already have one. I use a rigid 1/2” with 5mah battery and its amazing. Id recomend Milwaukee since theyre king of tools.

It takes me 10 minutes on average to set up, swap and re torque my wheels. I couldnt imagine being stuck with a ghetto breaker bar trying to change over tires and wheels.

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I run two sets... the 285/65R/17 Cooper Discoverers I run for back country exploring in the summer time, and the stock 245/75R/17 wheels & tires that came on the unit for long road trips and schlepping around in the winter.

I swap sets just about the time I'm ready to rotate anyway, so it's no added hassle whatsoever.

OP
OP
Bluebeast

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Concern is mainly just wear and tear on steering and axle components. I also figure I would get just a smidgen better gas mileage on 35's vs 37's. I've run the KO2's before and although they are nice I wasn't a huge fan.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Concern is mainly just wear and tear on steering and axle components. I also figure I would get just a smidgen better gas mileage on 35's vs 37's. I've run the KO2's before and although they are nice I wasn't a huge fan.
Gotcha. I've had great luck with them in snow/ice going up to Flag here in AZ but I also haven't tried Duratrac's. The issue that I see going to 37's is weight if you are not going to run a KO2. I'm sure there are other 37's out there in an AT form (that are light) -- I'm just not aware of them off the top of my head.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Interesting, why do you prefer Duratrac's over KO2s?

OP
OP
Bluebeast

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
The main thing was all the rocks they would collect while on the trail and throwing them every which way at speed. Other than that just I feel the Duratracs do a little better out in the snow, but that's just personal opinion because the KO'S where really good also. I guess the main question is will it wheel alright with 37's and 4.88? I guessing it will be something similar to the 4.10's and 35's that I have at the moment. That way I can have the middle ground (unfortunately not the best but good) of both worlds maybe.
Sponsored