OP
OP

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon granite 2 doors; 2021 willys Sarge
Vehicle Showcase
you must buy a jeep like a used vehicle, after you buy it check torque of all front end bolts and push fuses all the way in. pull off stickers off engine and exhaust if you dont like burning smell.

My steering started fine then got worse, then the electrical stuff starts, it could not seem to charge second batter for stop start properly.

Sure some are better than others, and one story here or there either way on any brand means little. however, I have seen enough to know the quality is lower than it should be, and owning a jeep means working on a jeep.
I refuse this idea. We are paying 40k+ for a NEW vehicle. Jeep needs to step up in quality control.
Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
My 6 week old Willys tracks perfectly straight, and stays where I put it. No complaints at all.
Running those tires at 37 cold.

G.

OP
OP

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Could you be a little more descriptive in your experience?
It was like my first JL. Changing of lane was a scary move, because I had to counter steer to keep it in the lane. dead spot, 2-3 inch. It was really like it had the old box. I even checked under to make sure she had the black new steel box...who knows

OP
OP

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you order and test drive before signing, you have nothing to worry about. This could have been caused by several things but overall the new iron box has solved the major steering issue. Also, there have been numerous reports of tires being over inflated by 15+ PSI...One of my tires was at 49 PSI when I took delivery...
I live in south, I asked maryland dealer to deliver. can i refuse the jeep after they drove down and put $1000 miles on it to deliver? lol I dont think so.

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software
Well, for my own curiosity and looking to add another wrangler in the family, today I test drove a 2021 sahara. the steering wheel was all over the place.....I was thinking to maybe custom order a 4xe, but after today I am not. not risking a sloppy steering. ONLY test driving now on
Test drive until you find one you like the way it drives. As previous posters have mentioned the majority of the jeeps drive fine but there are some that do not (wandering and/or dead spot). My '19 Rubicon came off the lot with a 3" dead spot in the center (I test drove another color jeep before buying mine so lesson learned). While there are less intrusive fixes you can try (torquing, ensure fuses are set.....no kidding this can help), what ultimately helped mine was the new beefier steering box. I would think the new ones have it but I also realize current owners with issues are in line to potentially get the new steering box from their dealers. BTW, mine drive great now.

Sponsored

22Mag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Willy's
My 20 Willys came from the dealer with 45 LBS in the tires, it was all over the road. Lowering the pressure to 35 LBS made a world of difference. I had the steering TSB done to the new box and that was the final fix. It drives very nice now, no issues.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I live in south, I asked maryland dealer to deliver. can i refuse the jeep after they drove down and put $1000 miles on it to deliver? lol I dont think so.

Again, if you are that concerned about ordering and taking delivery of a vehicle that may not meet your expectations, it is up to you to either deal with a local dealer or for you to travel the 1000 miles to save a few dollars for inspection and test drive before signing!

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
If you order and test drive before signing, you have nothing to worry about. This could have been caused by several things but overall the new iron box has solved the major steering issue. Also, there have been numerous reports of tires being over inflated by 15+ PSI...One of my tires was at 49 PSI when I took delivery...
Yes, thank you. I do not think my dealer did the PDI. They said they did but all of my Mopar factory ordered accessories were in the back. I had to install them all myself including the roll bar mounted grip handles. I am not complaining. I am happy to do the PDI myself. This way I know it was completed correctly.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
for what it’s worth my 2021 JLUR steering is fine. Tracks WAY better on the highway than I expected for a wrangler and I’m running 35’s.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I refuse this idea. We are paying 40k+ for a NEW vehicle. Jeep needs to step up in quality control.
obviously, but the reality is its not there NOW. There is nothing to suggest its going to get better, Fiat Peugeot is not a quality company, they are known for cheapo little cars of rock bottom quality,

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
2021 JLUR here and no steering issues. Best handling Jeep I have driven actually and I have owned every variation of the Wrangler. Sounds like something was off on that particular Jeep. My PSI is 36.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Listen to the voice of reason.

We all love Jeeps but we understand the quality control issues that affect them.

It seems as if the new steering boxes have made a difference but you should still do your due diligence.

JaysJL

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Altitude
This was one of my concerns when looking also. Took my 21 on the freeway at 80 removed my hands from the wheel and it drove straight. Applied the breaks when getting off and it didn’t pull either

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have a 20 Willys 2dr with the aluminum steering box. Drives great. When I first bought it, it wandered quite a bit. Dealer had the tires at 40 PSI cold, got up to 42-43 hot. Lowered the tires to 36 cold and all was well, plus it takes about 500 miles for aggressive tires to break in and loose that squirmy feeling.
Sponsored