Sponsored

Snowboard / Ski rack for JL Rubicon Unlimited

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Anybody do a box for skis?
I've been on the hunt (unsuccessfully) for a thule style cargo carrier for 2-4 sets of cross country skis, AND NOTHING ELSE. My husbands skis are 197cm, so it needs to be long and skinny, but all the long ones are generally XL and could fit like 22 pairs. LOL I'm exaggerating, but if anyone knows of one I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I've been on the hunt (unsuccessfully) for a thule style cargo carrier for 2-4 sets of cross country skis, AND NOTHING ELSE. My husbands skis are 197cm, so it needs to be long and skinny, but all the long ones are generally XL and could fit like 22 pairs. LOL I'm exaggerating, but if anyone knows of one I'd be interested in hearing about it.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I do a lot of backcountry skiing and would love to bring both my all mountain skis and my dedicated powder skis that way I have options once I get up the hill and can see the conditions. But when I'm parked outside of the resort at some random side road or turnout I don't want the pair of skis I didn't use visible inside my jeep through the windows.

A roof top box would be great, but they are so expensive. And you have to buy roof rails too.

And you are right, the ones I've seen that would fit my 186cm skis are also very tall, which I don't want.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I do a lot of backcountry skiing and would love to bring both my all mountain skis and my dedicated powder skis that way I have options once I get up the hill and can see the conditions. But when I'm parked outside of the resort at some random side road or turnout I don't want the pair of skis I didn't use visible inside my jeep through the windows.

A roof top box would be great, but they are so expensive. And you have to buy roof rails too.

And you are right, the ones I've seen that would fit my 186cm skis are also very tall, which I don't want.
My husband and I are trying to configure a DIY something but so far the only thing we've come up with is a large PVC pipe of some sort. LOL A long plastic plumbing tube, closed on one end and a screw lid on the other. LOL

Edit. If it would fit inside your Jeep, there's next to no chance of someone stealing that... LOL

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I just installed the Mopar roof rails with the Rhino Rack ski/board/fishing rack and can’t wait to use it soon! Very simple install as well and fits in and out of my garage, although I have to add the skis outside.

EC530EE8-8585-49CF-ADAD-32E410B2DFE1.jpeg

A0B111F6-2D33-4EB3-A6FC-889AD9F20EE3.jpeg

5468323D-73BF-4AD3-BACF-4208461DC7F0.jpeg

E27B4E22-B548-4796-98E2-7764BA04347E.jpeg

CBDC8A2F-6EE2-4AC9-ABC0-05F9C5123BA9.jpeg

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
My husband and I are trying to configure a DIY something but so far the only thing we've come up with is a large PVC pipe of some sort. LOL A long plastic plumbing tube, closed on one end and a screw lid on the other. LOL

Edit. If it would fit inside your Jeep, there's next to no chance of someone stealing that... LOL
I was actually thinking the same thing! Like minds. In order to get my powder skis (158 mm at the tip) in a tube, it's going to have to be an awfully large tube, though.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I was actually thinking the same thing! Like minds. In order to get my powder skis (158 mm at the tip) in a tube, it's going to have to be an awfully large tube, though.
Mine are classics (186, I think), and my husbands are 197. We did buy the Thule pulse yesterday as we found it on sale for $495 CAD, but it's huuuuuuuuuge (long). And now I'm concerned (again!) about lift (it's almost as long as my paddleboard). :headbang:

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
β€˜19 JLUR, β€˜06 LX 100-series
Update to my previous post:

I placed my floor mats on each side between the roll bar and tailgate. I placed my kids skis and my poles sideways with an end on each floor mat. This freed up a ton of floor space as well make a convenient load/unload. My expensive skis no longer have other skis/poles piled on top of them! The height of the sideways skis allows boots to be placed underneath which puts a little pressure under the skis as well as (somewhat) secure the boots.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Update to my previous post:

I placed my floor mats on each side between the roll bar and tailgate. I placed my kids skis and my poles sideways with an end on each floor mat. This freed up a ton of floor space as well make a convenient load/unload. My expensive skis no longer have other skis/poles piled on top of them! The height of the sideways skis allows boots to be placed underneath which puts a little pressure under the skis as well as (somewhat) secure the boots.
My dilemma is mostly related to my 2 door. My skis are 187 cm long and as I've said previously the powder skis are really wide at the tip. When I ski, I ski backcountry so I have a dog or two in the back + two sets of skis + a backpack + boots + poles + ...
If I put the skis inside the have to be in a ski bag and go through the little dog door in the raingler net and sit on the center condole. In that position they are almost touching the dash.
I would love a roof-top-box but I think that one long enough to fit my skis would overhang my windshield way too much.

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
So after trying the roof bars by rhino rack and not liking the wind noise it created when I had my skis and snowboard on the roof I finally found this. I have the one touch roof so the bars mount really close to the top which I hate. this is an awesome option found it for 300 bucks on Amazon and I absolutely love it. Made by buzz rack, I made a small modification and cut the bracket off that only allows it to tilt back halfway so that now I can open up the tailgate and it folds all the way down to the floor

7A336D04-9337-4279-80A7-BCF4D64F7B73.jpeg

1F3963C3-3255-4630-B671-95214508EC73.jpeg

EFC3ADFC-B7BD-47AC-A993-473A6E830B8C.jpeg

D94A0923-FE00-4E73-81EF-3C922EE26A9C.jpeg
Sponsored