rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Please, try them both, and report back.

I often read people say that snow tires will be outperformed by mud tires in deep snow. In most cases, I suspect they don't even own snow tires, and have never tried them though.

I've never owned mud tires, so I'm unable to contribute any first hand knowledge on those myself.

I've never driven in snow deeper than about 14" (+ drifts), but my snow tires were excellent.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Anyone have experience with and feedback for the Ridge Grapplers? Are they better in the powder than a KO2 AT being as they are supposed to be a hybrid AT/MT? Thanks

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps. All Jeeps. LJ, XJ, CJ, WK2
Anyone have experience with and feedback for the Ridge Grapplers? Are they better in the powder than a KO2 AT being as they are supposed to be a hybrid AT/MT? Thanks
I have them in 37x12.50. So far they work well. If you care about such things, they are heavy and don't get as good of mileage as KO2s, but not by much. They work well in deep snow.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Now that the snow has started dumping up here in the Pacific Northwest, I'd like to try some snow wheeling. The question I have is two parts (near term and long term). In the near term I have two set of tires for my JL; the Falken Wildpeak M/T (285-70-17) and studded Hakkapeliitta LT3 (315-70-17). Which tire is the better option to head out on for a day of snow wheeling?

If using an A/T or M/T is better than using my snow tires offroad, then long term I may look to the Goodyear Duratrac (with the mountain snowflake rating) - any experiences with them?
The biggest thing you'll notice about a snow tire is that they're often studdable, and will have siping. Some mud tires will offer them too, but not many.
I've run Duratrac tires, and absolutely loved them in the snow. I don't really go play in the powder, but we do get a LOT of snow (lake effect) in N.E.Ohio so I drive in deeps stuff often. That said, there IS a hard base if you can dig down to it, so I keep my tires 285 or narrower. On the road narrow works better, in the field floating (wider) will usually work better.
So to answer your question, If I was going to go play in the snow, I'd put studs in those LT3's and not think twice about it

I'm following. I just put KO2's on my Sahara and I'm curious how they will perform (we're having a cold spell of below -30c, so I may or may not go out this week. lol)
I had KO2's on my wife's Grand Cherokee. They were amazing. Not quite as good in the deep stuff as the Duratracs were, but in slush, ice, and moderate snow they were every but as good. The KO2 is a great tire.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have them in 37x12.50. So far they work well. If you care about such things, they are heavy and don't get as good of mileage as KO2s, but not by much. They work well in deep snow.
Thanks! I don’t know if I can trust tiresize.com but they list the 275/70/18 RG as being 58.5 lbs vs the KO2 at 57.7. Hopefully it’s not too much but we have mud around here and we just came back from the Michigan U.P. and we enjoyed driving in some powder so we’re trying to find a good all around tire. We considered the KO2 but I had concerns about mud with them. It’s a daily driver too.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Now that the snow has started dumping up here in the Pacific Northwest, I'd like to try some snow wheeling. The question I have is two parts (near term and long term). In the near term I have two set of tires for my JL; the Falken Wildpeak M/T (285-70-17) and studded Hakkapeliitta LT3 (315-70-17). Which tire is the better option to head out on for a day of snow wheeling?

If using an A/T or M/T is better than using my snow tires offroad, then long term I may look to the Goodyear Duratrac (with the mountain snowflake rating) - any experiences with them?
I’m not sure what you mean by snow wheeling. Snow on county maintained roads? For forest service roads, I like the heavier lugs on the Falkens and would carry set of chains/cables as backups for gnarly snow wheeling. A set of traction boards/ shovel comes in handy for quick extractions. The Hakkapeliitta’s are hiway SUV tires, very good on maintained roads.
It’s been my experience, on unplowed roads nothing beats chains/cables for packed snow/ice and snow up to frame deep. Snowflake tires w/studs by far are second best. I always preferred a good set of heavy lug A/T tread studded tires and carried chains. Always worked well around Spokane, Wa. and Tahoe City, Ca. where I got 30+ years experience. Haha that’s why I retired to SoCal, too much snow/ice experience. I have yet to try these...tire stud screws
If you haven’t seen what Icelanders do for snow wheeling on glaciers, goggle it. Amazing big tired rigs. BTW, I saw this JK in Colorado back county this summer.
JL with tracks.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks! I don’t know if I can trust tiresize.com but they list the 275/70/18 RG as being 58.5 lbs vs the KO2 at 57.7. ...
Per the manufacturers' websites, Nitto RG is 58.47 lbs, and BFG the KO2 is 58.73 lbs (both 275/70/18)

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Per the manufacturers' websites, Nitto RG is 58.47 lbs, and BFG the KO2 is 58.73 lbs (both 275/70/18)
Thank you!

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I believe that’s the 10-ply. We just bought 6-ply KO2’s (285/70r17) and I’m almost certain they showed as 51.something lbs on the website. It wasn’t much different, but still...

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yes that's 10 ply. They only show load E on the website for 275/70/18. The 285/70/17 is available in both load C and E (6 and 10 respectively). Your 6 ply 285/70/17 is 51.37 lbs per BFG.
Sponsored