Sponsored

Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff??

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
Actually that's what I probably will get. That or the kanati trail hog which is very close to the duratrac
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
So is KO2s and duratracs the only option? Im in wisconsin and wanted a little more aggresive looking tire. but also be able to handle icy roads.
I switched from KO2’s over to Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s. They are winter rated (the 3 peaks symbol).

i have found them to have better snow & rain traction than even my KO2’s had.

BUT, The 35’s are E rated, so you need to get the pressure right. (The KO2’s were C rated)

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
That green cat looks like my old sled a F8000 snow pro. Man that thing was a blast. On this day we rode approx 40 miles on Lake Superior in the UP of Michigan. Overall almost a 250 mile day. There are trails in the UP that you can run over a 100 mph for extended time.

1624536078319.png
Nice!!
I had a '12 XF Cat 800 as well as that '15 RR in my pic. I've since moved onto Polaris sleds. They're all good, I love sleddin!!
My Jeep will be parked when the White Fly's.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So is KO2s and duratracs the only option? Im in wisconsin and wanted a little more aggresive looking tire. but also be able to handle icy roads.
Naw there other good tires out there that do OK on ice but still dig well in 2-3ft of snow. I've heard guys say they really like the Yokohama Geolandar M/T, and I think the BFG KM2 would be decent but not sure. Best thing to do is find people on forums that have ran them.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Nice!!
I had a '12 XF Cat 800 as well as that '15 RR in my pic. I've since moved onto Polaris sleds. They're all good, I love sleddin!!
My Jeep will be parked when the White Fly's.
I had a 12 XF Cat 800 also.
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? 1624559032137

I tell people, if you think Jeeps are expensive, try snowmobiling......

Sponsored

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? 1624559032137

The more I see the painted fenders and top on a red Jeep the more I like it !

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent

Snowmobiling is my #1 passion. Currently on a 2020 Arctic Cat Hardcore Alpha 154" Thinking hard about getting a 2022 version...

IMG_0041.JPG

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Tire Rack has a test of 5 tires and BFG KO'2s did the best of all on ice, packed snow.
I use my 2020 Rubicon with stock KO2's in 25" of snow last winter and did ok.
It did get up a hill the F350 4x4 with Michelin LTX M&S did not crest.
I would not swap until you try them.

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
Snowmobiling is my #1 passion. Currently on a 2020 Arctic Cat Hardcore Alpha 154" Thinking hard about getting a 2022 version...

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? IMG_0041.JPG
I have to admit the same thing. Sleddin has been my passion also. Going on my 4th decade. Wouldn't leave that sport if I had to. Nice Masheen!!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? IMG_0041.JPG
Snowmobiling is the most fun I have ever had. I love it. If it fit into my life still, I would be doing it. The funny thing is my sled got worse mileage than my lifted JLUR pulling my camper and was about the same as my 36ft Class A Motorhome. I have burned $165 in fuel in one day. Note that does not include the $40 a gallon in pre-mix oil.......

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Snowmobiling is the most fun I have ever had. I love it. If it fit into my life still, I would be doing it. The funny thing is my sled got worse mileage than my lifted JLUR pulling my camper and was about the same as my 36ft Class A Motorhome. I have burned $165 in fuel in one day. Note that does not include the $40 a gallon in pre-mix oil.......
Damn, never knew snow machines went through fuel like that.. crazy! I figured it was a sport for folks with more disposable income than me and that confirmed it lol.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Damn, never knew snow machines went through fuel like that.. crazy! I figured it was a sport for folks with more disposable income than me and that confirmed it lol.
My typical Colorado mountain ride day uses about 6-7 gallons of premium and half a qt of the $50/gal 2 stroke oil. That is all day, ride your butt off. I have gone through as much as 10 gal in a day but that is unusual. Riding trails in the midwest where you can put on tons of miles in a day definitely uses more gas. Mountain ride days are more like 30-40 miles. The ticket for a new machine is close to $14k though and as much as I ride they only last 2 years, 3 tops. Probably costs me $3-4k/yr, really not bad. By far the best way to explore the mountains.

IMG_1817.JPG

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My typical Colorado mountain ride day uses about 6-7 gallons of premium and half a qt of the $50/gal 2 stroke oil. That is all day, ride your butt off. I have gone through as much as 10 gal in a day but that is unusual. Riding trails in the midwest where you can put on tons of miles in a day definitely uses more gas. Mountain ride days are more like 30-40 miles. The ticket for a new machine is close to $14k though and as much as I ride they only last 2 years, 3 tops. Probably costs me $3-4k/yr, really not bad. By far the best way to explore the mountains.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? IMG_1817.JPG
Oh yeah, I've sat and watched guys run them in the winter on the mountains. They look like a ton of fun. I'll break down and get one eventually.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
On the subject of tires, KO2's and Duratracs are excellent options. Last season I tried Firestone XT's on the F250 and have really been liking them for a little less than KO2's and substantially less than Duratracs. Duratracs can be studded which is legal in CO. I like the XT's because they fall between the two for aggressive tread. I also carry a full set of heavy tire chains as I plow snow with the truck and need to access forest roads for sledding.

Haven't owned the Jeep in snow yet. I am a little concerned about the 2 door being squirrelly with the short wheelbase but I will be running the KO2's on it for sure. Hoping to pick up a set of 35" C rated General Grabber X3's with the red letters for summer if they ever come off backorder...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I recently swapped from 35'' toyo mt's (pretty bad in winter) to 37'' nitto ridge grapplers. The grapplers will hopefully do better in snow and ice. I love toyo mt's and have been running them year round on several vehicles but they're pretty scary in the winter. I figure the hybrid will handle four seasons better.. hopefully. They have a lot more siping than the MT's for sure...

I didn't want a larger, much more expensive tire that was so ineffective in our CO two seasons of snow. And really don't care to run summer/winter tires.
Sponsored