Sponsored

Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff??

Rc162

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I live in SW Montana. Snows 8 months out of the year here. Snow isn’t the problem. The problem here is after the roads are plowed, there is a sheet of smooth shiny ice to drive on. Road department here, thank God, doesn’t use salt. They use sand. This helps a lot. My wife’s JK and my JLUR handle it without any issues. Use 4hi a lot on the ice. We both have BFG AT’s on our Jeep’s and they do pretty well.
Sponsored

Rc162

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Great thread!
So what does everybody run for tires in the winter. Not worried about the extreme 2 or 3 foot off-roading but daily commuting in the snow. Are the KO2s sufficient or will I need to get dedicated winter tires. If so, which ones?
Can't wait t drive in the snow! (I just don't want some guy in a minivan drive past me as I'm stuck in the snow with my KO2s;)).
I would say that short of studded snow tires, the KO2’s are about as good as it gets. That’s what I see the most here in Montana.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I would say that short of studded snow tires, the KO2’s are about as good as it gets. That’s what I see the most here in Montana.
Do you think the K02's are as good as the Duratracs? Don't the duratracs have more snowflake ratings?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The company that I plow snow for in Michigan has KO 2 on about 40 snow plow trucks. So I am guessing they are great tires for snow. The F250 that I drive handles great in the snow.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
The company that I plow snow for in Michigan has KO 2 on about 40 snow plow trucks. So I am guessing they are great tires for snow. The F250 that I drive handles great in the snow.
That's great to hear. I can save my money for more accessories!

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Do you think the K02's are as good as the Duratracs? Don't the duratracs have more snowflake ratings?
I like the Duratracs better. Had a 2007 JLR with Duratracs and it handled 20 inches of unplowed snow getting out to the plowed road great. On plowed and snow packed roads I always had good traction. New 2021 JLUR with KOs does well but not as good as the Duratracs did. They are very comparable in deep snow but on packed down roads the Duratracs performed better. Just 1 opinion.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is 100x more fun in the snow than the jeep. It's heavy, has over 100 ft lbs more torque and just plows through stuff. I've never really enjoyed snow in the jeep.. it will do it.. just not my weapon of choice.

Rc162

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don’t have any experience with the duratracs. However, I have seen a lot of vehicles in Montana with them as well. Just seems the KO2 is more popular, but not by much.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
I like to go bombing around the back roads before the snowplow wakes up and to bash through some of the snow covered summer trails that aren't used by the ATV and snowmobile crowds. The first winter I swapped out the OEM tires for a set of Firestone Winterforce, they worked quite well in all situations except for when the left side was on hard packed snow and the right side was in the soft ditch snow...
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? FB_IMG_1582029616221

Since then I've had Cooper AT3's on it year round and am very satisfied with their grip in all weather and road conditions. And there's a winch on it now, just in case.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My factory KO2s were good on ice, hard packed snow, and maybe shallow snow less than a couple inches. In deep snow the MFers damn near stranded me twice (2019 JLUR). Never again.

In deep snow you need something with bigger lugs that clean well.

I went to Duratracs, in deep snow they dig like a badger on bath salts. Kids and I in the jeep were the first rig that made it through our mountain road above our house this spring after the road opened, fun times.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
No pictures, but i must have hit at least 1/2 - 3/4” of snow on my way to the mall early this past winter. (My therapist tells me i need to talk about it to get over the trauma)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Don't drive the Jeep in the winter. I have other "Masheens" for that. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? 20161210_133021
That green cat looks like my old sled a F8000 snow pro. Man that thing was a blast. On this day we rode approx 40 miles on Lake Superior in the UP of Michigan. Overall almost a 250 mile day. There are trails in the UP that you can run over a 100 mph for extended time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Stories .... How has your JL beasted through some of the white stuff?? 1624536078319

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
So is KO2s and duratracs the only option? Im in wisconsin and wanted a little more aggresive looking tire. but also be able to handle icy roads.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So is KO2s and duratracs the only option? Im in wisconsin and wanted a little more aggresive looking tire. but also be able to handle icy roads.
The new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T is 3 peak rated too but they just came out in April. I’m curious how they’ll do for those who have much worse conditions that we have here in KY. So far so good in the wet with my set.
Sponsored

Last edited: