Sponsored

Snow Plowing with a 2020 Sahara (V6 Motor)

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati GT, Ferrari 355 F1 GTS, Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, BMW 335xi
James - I appreciate the reply - thank you.

So, when I first built the house 2000 until 2008 I did my own driveway with a John Deree compact tractor and snow blower. It worked OK but took a long time and shear pins often broke at the foot of the driveway. Until 2008, I had an SUV so I could get in and out of the drive and use the tractor at my leisure. After 2008 when I hired out plowing, I would use the tractor with the bucket just to scrape the driveway clean between plows.

All of this took a lot of time and I froze my ass off doing so - I'm done with that plan :)

I also have zero desire to look at the equipment anymore - I want my garage to remain a show room look and not a tool shed ;)
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
All of this took a lot of time and I froze my ass off doing so - I'm done with that plan :)

I also have zero desire to look at the equipment anymore - I want my garage to remain a show room look and not a tool shed ;)
I bundle up in my insulated motorcycle riding gear when running the Honda, so I'm reasonably comfortable. I agree, though: it isn't warm work.

At the risk of asking the obvious, are you able to have a shed installed on your lot, to serve as an equipment depot? Where did the Deere live when it was in active service?

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I see lots of new Jeeps with plows in Minnesota and some are far to big for the vehicle but if you're only doing your own driveway and not using it commercially you should be OK. Popular brands in Minnesota are Boss and Western but I know in the NE the Meyer & Fisher brands seems to be more available.

I would not recommend one of the "homeowner" models especially if you have lots of wet heavy snowfalls.

Check out these brands and contact a local dealer that specializes in installing them. You may also want to consider adding Timbrens if you plan to keep the plow mounted all season to help front end sag. Keep in mind that adding a plow may void the manufacturer warranty.

Boss
Western
Meyer
Fisher
Sno-Way
Blizzard
Hiniker
Snow Dogg

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bundle up in my insulated motorcycle riding gear when running the Honda, so I'm reasonably comfortable. I agree, though: it isn't warm work.

At the risk of asking the obvious, are you able to have a shed installed on your lot, to serve as an equipment depot? Where did the Deere live when it was in active service?
So behind my house and pool is a large pad for a future pool house / shed which was planned long ago and fell off the radar.

I kept the tractor in the garage when I had it as I also used it to mow the lawn which has since been subbed out (another problem, just not as big of a problem). I don't miss lawn mowing, snow plowing, maintaining the machine, getting diesel for the machine, smelling grass in my garage, etc.

g01.jpg

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see lots of new Jeeps with plows in Minnesota and some are far to big for the vehicle but if you're only doing your own driveway and not using it commercially you should be OK. Popular brands in Minnesota are Boss and Western but I know in the NE the Meyer & Fisher brands seems to be more available.

I would not recommend one of the "homeowner" models especially if you have lots of wet heavy snowfalls.

Check out these brands and contact a local dealer that specializes in installing them. You may also want to consider adding Timbrens if you plan to keep the plow mounted all season to help front end sag. Keep in mind that adding a plow may void the manufacturer warranty.

Boss
Western
Meyer
Fisher
Sno-Way
Blizzard
Hiniker
Snow Dogg
Thanks - I see some light duty ones that weigh less. I don't need a very wide plow - to make a couple extra passes is not a big deal.

I'm hoping someone doing this exact thing will chime in with experience.

Sponsored

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Thanks - I see some light duty ones that weigh less. I don't need a very wide plow - to make a couple extra passes is not a big deal.

I'm hoping someone doing this exact thing will chime in with experience.
You want it wide enough so that when you angle the blade it will still clear the snow ahead of the tires. It definitely needs to be wider than the vehicle.

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You want it wide enough so that when you angle the blade it will still clear the snow ahead of the tires. It definitely needs to be wider than the vehicle.
That's really good advice - thank you. I see many of the light duty come in 2 widths. 6'8" and 7'2"