Snow Pack & Road Closures

StephanieW

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
We are planning a trip to CO the 2nd weekend of August with 4 Jeeps. Hoping to hit Black Bear, Imogene etc. What are the chances the trails will still be in a snow closure? Seems like an awful lot more snow this year and continuing late into spring & maybe even summer.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
We are planning a trip to CO the 2nd weekend of August with 4 Jeeps. Hoping to hit Black Bear, Imogene etc. What are the chances the trails will still be in a snow closure? Seems like an awful lot more snow this year and continuing late into spring & maybe even summer.
this has been a crazy year from snow. my cousin lives there and just posted pictures where trails much lower still have snow up to his bumper. it is a hit or miss on when they will be clear. we also want to hit CO, but with all the snow this winter we are planning on a late trip.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The mountains got 8-20 inches in the last 24. To say this is nuts is an understatement. I guess we all deserve this because it is Jeeps that are causing global warming, uh I mean climate change. Serves us right really.

Ruiner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well, being that the springs got anywhere from 5-12” last night I wouldn’t count it completely out but honestly August I feel is one of the nicest months in Colorado. Here’s a picture from around about 11am today, it’s nearly all gone now.

FEAACD29-D291-4E8A-B15C-BE57CF350D67.jpeg

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So, I plan to attend SEMA this year and will be driving out to Vegas from Michigan. I was planning on doing some wheeling in Colorado on the way there. This would be the first week of November. What are my chances of doing like the Alpine look and Black Bear Pass? Also there is a trail, that runs from Colorado to Moab...can't think of the name right now, but would like to do that also.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Not out of the realm of possibility for Imogene to not be open until late August if at all....depending on the year. You're just going to have to call the National Forest Service or local Ranger stations. Might look online for the San Juan district.

https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/406/Road-Conditions
This is very true. Last year it was open at the end of July, but it’s very dependent on the snowfall amounts, of course.

It may have been open earlier, but that’s when I hit it up.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
There's so much snow this year I'm a bit worried about my Ouray trip in late June. Although I know we can find other trails in the area that will be open I'm guessing the high passes will still be closed.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
There's so much snow this year I'm a bit worried about my Ouray trip in late June. Although I know we can find other trails in the area that will be open I'm guessing the high passes will still be closed.
Uh yeah....late June is early for the high country, even during a normal winter. San Juan Cnty will plow the usual suspects but that won't open that many trails. Sorry!

From Ouray you're really close to Montrose....

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I just saw a news report that said the snow pack on average in Colorado is 308% of normal. The San Juans which is where Ouray is is 608% of normal. Our keeping season may be pretty short or non-existent.

Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Just read a snow report that said that parts of the Alpine loop are currently covered in 100 ft of snow due to slides. The county is working, but trails in the area are in doubt until late July or August.... lived here my whole life. Never seen anything like this.

Cudadust

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Duster 2015 CRV 96 Dak
I grew up in Silverton. If you want good updates go to faceplant (facebook) and sign up for the Silverton Community bulletin board. Lue posts on there or answers questions. He is the guy that runs the cat clearing the passes.
Sponsored