Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport 6 Speed
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
TV Producer
Vehicle Showcase
I had been looking for a Jeep for a few months in the spring of 2018. Almost bought a JK, but luckily the dealer was a cheat and I walked away from the deal.

Decided to go for a JL manual, except they were very rare at that time. Wasn't wiling to wait.

Found her at a dealer 5 hours away. Sport S, Manual, with Tow Package (Dana44 rear with LS). A unicorn in deed.

Roadtrip!
Jeep Wrangler JL "Snow Dog" JL Sport Build jeep-01

Keep her stock for the first year. Then I did my first Jeep Jamboree at Killington VT. She was the smallest jeep in the bunch, but her capabilities were impressive.
Jeep Wrangler JL "Snow Dog" JL Sport Build jeep-01a

In January of 2020, I started to put some love into her.

I added a 3.5" Teradek Alpine short arm lift kit with Cooper Evolution MT 35x12.5 tires on Method 701 wheels. Falcon 2.1 shocks and JKS disconnects on the swaybar.

Since I share this Jeep with the wife, a set of Rockslide Engineering steps were a must have. I do have to admit it's one of the best things I did to the Jeep.

I decided on that tire/wheel combo based on looks and weight. I was concerned about overwhelming the D30 front axel. So farming, I have been happy with the performance and ride (at 30psi).

I also added a M.O.R.E full skid plate set in aluminum.

Then COVID hit.

I was not working, and had lots of time on my hands. Dangerous.

I decided to book a Jeep Jamboree in the Tennessee Mountains in the down time.

This was going to force a decision.

I was trying my hardest to wait for AEV to release their bumpers for the JL. I fell in love with the looks at SEMA 18. After waiting and waiting, I pulled the trigger on a LOD Destroyer front bumper and a Warn 10S winch.

Jeep Wrangler JL "Snow Dog" JL Sport Build jeep-03

This indeed would be her shake down run. She was great and I had new found confidence driving her.

Made a little video of the trip.

After the trip, I realized that the stock 3.45 gearing was not working well with the 35's.

I decided to regear with spicer 4.56 gears and while I was at it, I added Dana diff covers too.

I wanted an LOD rear bumper for this trip, but the COVID situation was making shipping times longer than anticipated. The The bumper arrived after the trip, and was recently installed.

I like the looks, and the ability to add attachments for the HiLift and my Powertank are much needed considering the limited space in a 2 door jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL "Snow Dog" JL Sport Build jeep-04

So for now, she is done.

My return to Killington for a 2nd Jeep Jam has been delayed until September, but I will get some day trips out to PA parks like Rausch, AOAA, and Readings.

At some point I will replace the Dana30 and add lockers, but I am going to wait until I break something or win the lottery.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JoshuaaT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the 4.56s with the manual?

OP
OP
ArtAldrich

ArtAldrich

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport 6 Speed
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
TV Producer
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the 4.56s with the manual?
Love it. Can finally use 6th gear for the first time.

haven't wheeled with the setup yet, but around town very happy.
Sponsored