Sponsored

Snorkels for the EcoDiesel

If you have an EcoDiesel Wrangler, would you like to see snorkel systems available for it?

• Total voters

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
When the 3.0L V-6 EcoDiesel was released, we learned that - unlike its 3.6L V6 Pentastar and 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder brethren - its air filter box is on the left-hand side of the engine bay. That means that current snorkel offerings for the gassers won't fit the diesel.

For those of you who own or intend to purchase the EcoDiesel, would you buy a snorkel as well? If so, which of the snorkel systems currently offered would you like to see engineered for the diesel?

There are plenty of other threads on this forum that deliberate the pros and cons between diesels and gassers, and plenty of discussions on the pros and cons of snorkels as well. Let's leave those discussions to those threads. My intent in creating this thread is to canvass the diesel owners (or prospects) to get a sense of how many would want snorkel systems for their rigs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll start by casting my own vote...

Yes, I'd like to see left-hand snorkel systems for the diesel. Of all of the systems currently offered, I like the Rugged Ridge version most.

My second choice would be Hauk's River Raider system. I prefer snorkel systems that stay under the hood and use the cowl for the intake. I don't mind cutting Sheetmetal - that's not what makes me shy away from other systems such as MOPAR, AEV and others. I just don't want my snorkel to interfere with raised fenders, and I like to keep my A-pillars skinny for better visibility.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'll start by casting my own vote...

Yes, I'd like to see left-hand snorkel systems for the diesel. Of all of the systems currently offered, I like the Rugged Ridge version most.

My second choice would be Hauk's River Raider system. I prefer snorkel systems that stay under the hood and use the cowl for the intake. I don't mind cutting Sheetmetal - that's not what makes me shy away from other systems such as MOPAR, AEV and others. I just don't want my snorkel to interfere with raised fenders, and I like to keep my A-pillars skinny for better visibility.
Rugged Ridge have already said that their systems can be easily modified to work on the driver hand side, and this is something they would very likely pursue at a later stage.

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rugged Ridge have already said that their systems can be easily modified to work on the driver hand side, and this is something they would very likely pursue at a later stage.
I saw one of the interviews with Rugged Ridge at SEMA. They said that before the diesel was even released, they were considering making a left-hand cowl "vent" that would match their snorkel on the right-hand side - just to make it look symmetrical if someone wanted to. They then stated that with that concept already on the drawing board, it would be fairly easy to use the other components of their existing system to make one for the diesels. They would have to make a left-hand air box, and tweak a few items. They then specifically stated that it came down to market demand. The designers and engineers want to... but they don't make the decisions. The bean-counters make the decisions. It's all about the Benjamins.

… which is the reason I made this thread. To get a sense of demand so that manufacturers could make a determination on whether or not to invest in manufacturing snorkels for the diesels. I for one hope they do.

Pootytanger

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
A driver side snorkel would be a cool way for the diesel to stand out. And convoys down dusty roads and numerous stream crossings here in KY would make a snorkel a benefit. I’m very interested.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A driver side snorkel would be a cool way for the diesel to stand out. And convoys down dusty roads and numerous stream crossings here in KY would make a snorkel a benefit. I’m very interested.
I hadn't thought of the visual distinction aspect. Good call.

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I would very much love a snorkel for the diesel. As long as it mounts to the side of the a pillar so that I can still fold my windshield down. I kept the windshield down on my cj all the time in the warm months.

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would very much love a snorkel for the diesel. As long as it mounts to the side of the a pillar so that I can still fold my windshield down. I kept the windshield down on my cj all the time in the warm months.
That's the thing I like about the Rugged Ridge kit. You have the option of using a low-mounted side-draft intake (compatible with folding hood) or their more traditional-looking A-pillar intake. From what I understand swapping between the two is fairly simple.

The AEV and MOPAR kits mount next to the hood and A-pillar so you can still fold down the windshield. Hauk's River Raider version prevents it though.

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
That's the thing I like about the Rugged Ridge kit. You have the option of using a low-mounted side-draft intake (compatible with folding hood) or their more traditional-looking A-pillar intake. From what I understand swapping between the two is fairly simple.

The AEV and MOPAR kits mount next to the hood and A-pillar so you can still fold down the windshield. Hauk's River Raider version prevents it though.
We do a lot of hay in the summer, and in Kentucky, it gets kinda hot n muggy. Having that breeze in your face is really nice. Not getting as much dust and crud in my intake would be nice to.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
My vote is for a Rugged Ridge would be my vote too. Since they say it should be easy to modify for production it wouldn't surprise me it they were one of the first to market with it.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I’ll add another vote for the rugged ridge option with ROAM being another option pending their final design. Either way, you’re going to get a lot of overland types buying the diesel and they have more use for a raised air intake than most.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I just wish the Rugged Ridge unit was one piece at the cowl. It looks hobbled together. Or at least have a cowl piece that does not have the stylization on the side for when you use the upright snorkel.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be buying the Rugged Ridge immediately after it becomes available. My only concern for any snorkel is that they could make the a-pillar blind spot larger. The Rugged Ridge’s modularity helps a lot in that regard.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I love the idea of snorkel for EcoDiesel.