Sponsored

Snorkels for the EcoDiesel

If you have an EcoDiesel Wrangler, would you like to see snorkel systems available for it?

• Total voters

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
I haven’t done any measuring or real digging yet, but I was looking at the snorkel for the Toyota BJ40. It’s on the driver side, and the angle should be close. Pics below show the dimensions, I may grab a tape measure and see where this lands. I’m probably wrong at it’s not even close, but a guy can hope. I’d much rather not have one that is beside the hood all the way to the air box. There’s probably a dozen things behind the fender that I can’t see that would be in the way of this one. It looks to me like it would have to penetrate the area where that fake vent is on the fender but again not too sure. I dunno, I’ll probably wait to see what this year brings, but there’s so many knock offs of this yota snorkel for like $80usd it may be worth grabbing just to see.
And yes, I’m bored AF lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snorkels for the EcoDiesel F4D602CA-EB9C-4A21-9591-E93B627FBD0C

Jeep Wrangler JL Snorkels for the EcoDiesel 9C5EB817-215A-44B3-9CB2-B054B8DEF77F
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I haven’t done any measuring or real digging yet, but I was looking at the snorkel for the Toyota BJ40. It’s on the driver side, and the angle should be close. Pics below show the dimensions, I may grab a tape measure and see where this lands. I’m probably wrong at it’s not even close, but a guy can hope. I’d much rather not have one that is beside the hood all the way to the air box. There’s probably a dozen things behind the fender that I can’t see that would be in the way of this one. It looks to me like it would have to penetrate the area where that fake vent is on the fender but again not too sure. I dunno, I’ll probably wait to see what this year brings, but there’s so many knock offs of this yota snorkel for like $80usd it may be worth grabbing just to see.
And yes, I’m bored AF lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snorkels for the EcoDiesel 9C5EB817-215A-44B3-9CB2-B054B8DEF77F

Rugged ridge told me on IG about a month ago that their diesel snorkel R&D is on hold. AEV commented publicly on their IG that they’re working on a diesel variant but it also took them 3 years to bring a rear bumper/carrier to market that is minimally different than the JK variant with a much bigger market so yea...still a pile of nothing.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Rugged ridge told me on IG about a month ago that their diesel snorkel R&D is on hold. AEV commented publicly on their IG that they’re working on a diesel variant but it also took them 3 years to bring a rear bumper/carrier to market that is minimally different than the JK variant with a much bigger market so yea...still a pile of nothing.
Yeah, I’m not holding my breath!

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s too bad, but I get it. The amount of money it takes to get something like this to market vs how many diesel JL’s are out there doesn’t make sense for a big company.

So after measuring I didn’t realize just how far back our windshields lean. If I find myself at loose ends with $80 I may order the FJ40 snorkel off eBay just to fiddle around and see if I can make it work.

If I had access to a shop and could work out evenly heating the eBay one I could possibly adjust it to suit the angle without deforming it at the bend. Taking bend out is easier then adding it in this case.

The only other issue is going to be where it penetrates the fender. It does line up with that fake vent, however there is a larger triangular indentation around it. I’d have to make a plate in shape that matches that to be flush with the rest of the fender to make it look good.

meh, they say sales of the diesel are slow, but we just got them up here late 2020. You could order one but there weren’t many on the lots and when there are, they’re Rubicons or other pricier trims.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Someone will come out with one because the itch will be scratched by someone. Might even end up being AEV (but then might be 3 years). The airflow for the diesel is pretty shitty as it is so I'd put one on just for performance reasons. I don't have to worry about dusty air where I live.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone will come out with one because the itch will be scratched by someone. Might even end up being AEV (but then might be 3 years). The airflow for the diesel is pretty shitty as it is so I'd put one on just for performance reasons. I don't have to worry about dusty air where I live.
How do you own a Jeep in Vermont and not wind up driving behind other vehicles on dirt roads? I’ve driven thousands of non-Jeep miles in that state and have found myself sucking dust into vehicles more times than I can count.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
How do you own a Jeep in Vermont and not wind up driving behind other vehicles on dirt roads? I’ve driven thousands of non-Jeep miles in that state and have found myself sucking dust into vehicles more times than I can count.
You make a good point, but my Jeep is not my daily driver and our trails are deep in the woods and are usually pretty wet or at least not dry. If I was driving 1000s of miles on dirt roads, I'd be singing a different tune for sure.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could always toss a pre-filter sock on the snorkel head if need be. One from a Harley should stretch on there nicely

mikeferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Diesel

Looks like these guys are the first to get one out. Wonder if it blocks the view much?

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel

Looks like these guys are the first to get one out. Wonder if it blocks the view much?
Its nice that we finally have at least one option. The shorty version doesn't look like it would block the view much but with the 18" extension it looks like it would block quite a bit.
Jeep Wrangler JL Snorkels for the EcoDiesel 1615357879493

I'd prefer something that hugs the windshield like the rugged ridge snorkel but who knows, I may end up ordering this kit some day if nobody else steps up to make a product.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
How practical is the shorty version? Would it make a significant difference?

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
How practical is the shorty version? Would it make a significant difference?
I was thinking the same thing at first, it doesn't look like it really raises the intake that much but I think by moving it back as well it would be helpful in a real life scenario when you sort of nose dive into a water crossing and then level out.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Snorkels best feature is dust reduction into the engine filter and a snorkel with a prefilter does an excellent job at this. If that River Raider is a prefilter (which it looks like it might be) then it would do great for that feature. As far as fording water, its only buying you a few inches from the stock inlet height. But if you go over your hood in water you have a huge potential to short out electronics which is just as big of a deal as getting water into your engine.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could see Rugged Ridge copying the internal plumbing of this design to avoid the filler caps on the driver side and any more mods to the external parts. You have to wonder if the extra bends in the plumbing will restrict airflow though.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
from just looking at the river raider and pics of the rugged ridge, I bet you could use it up to the right side and then modify the rugged ridge to use the rest of the way up past the cowling to get the snorkel up higher. Obviously you would have to purchase both but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to get them to play nice with each other.
Sponsored