Status
Not open for further replies.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Still have a bit of work on the middle mounts (and definitely prettier hardware) and testing to do but here is some pics of our newest project. See below for details....

Availability:
Probably early January 2020

Lets hear your thoughts and comments...

Doc

37747357-2312-4B44-A23C-204EBFA79B80_zpsd8xzbcbk.jpg

89E6D0D4-779B-433F-8FA4-0AEEC0C2E753_zpsghdbm2yt.jpg

CEF41548-2C0A-478A-BCE7-3E1E1890B018_zpsyjx0ddkn.jpg

04075104-1C70-4F54-B220-2BA7C2D033CD_zpsazypvjot.jpg

The JL Super Long Utility RAM Mount (“SLURM”)

Cost:

Probably around $200-$240

Will it fit my Jeep?

If your Jeep is a Wrangler JL/JLU (and probably Gladiator)…then the answer is yes.

Origin of Manufacture:

Partially manufactured in USA and conjunction with some metal experts in Canada (who really made this happen)

What is it good for?

Designed with the serious Off-Roader in mind. This competition mount provides a dozen mounting positions for navigation equipment, phones, “action cameras” and other necessary devices in a convenient accessible location for the front seat occupants.

The rail requires no proprietary mounts, instead it will accept any common M6 style Ram ball (available at places like Amazon). Or there is plenty of meat that you can drill and tap it for your custom type mounts.

Is it really “Heavy Duty”?

When we say heavy duty, we mean HEAVY DUTY! The SLURM (as we affectionally call it) is composed of solid ½ inch 5052 aluminum.

It features state of the art hard anodizing that will seriously resist fading in the brutal direct sunlight on the dash.

If you have specialty mounts with different hardware…there is plenty of room and thickness to drill and tap your own special mounting locations on the rail.

How long is this mount?

32 ÂĽ inches long with Twelve M6 threaded mounting points.

Is the installation hard?

Installation takes about 1 hour and requires only basic hand tools. There is no drilling required; the Springtail system utilizes factory mounting points and factory hardware. It is easier to drop the windshield for the initial access to the dash mounts but can be done without dropping the windshield as well.
Sponsored

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
This is pretty cool, but the one thing that scares me with these type of mount is: what happens in a car crash? Will it stay in place or fly in the driver's and passenger's face?

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
This is pretty cool, but the one thing that scares me with these type of mount is: what happens in a car crash? Will it stay in place or fly in the driver's and passenger's face?
That concern is certainly legitimate. Virtually every dash mount available right now only relies on either the weak plastic grommets located in the central cubby or a slightly better direct screwing into the plastic dash. The mount on its own is not particularly an issue with that type of system...that is until you start adding RAM arms and various items of various weight (phones, ipads, cameras) dangling from them. Then the laws of physics take over and you can have any myriad of issues.

IMO: There are two things that make this system far superior.

1) The far lateral mounts go deep into the dash to access some of its mounting points that are designed collectively to hold the weight of the dash itself. We are replacing the hardware with a higher grade bolt to even further improve the sturdiness of the mounting points. We are currently evaluating the cubby area for the strongest type of central mount and offer the best stability for the rail. The four mounting points should offer the best solution to keeping the rail right where it belongs (on the dash). Because of this....it would be extremely unlikely that all could fail in an accident.

2) Unlike any other available mount, the Springtail Rail is composed of solid aluminum (not plastic, and not cheap segments bolted together). It offers an extremely strong mount that is highly resistant to flexing or torsional stress. There is no chance of UV breakdown of materials either.

All this said....To my knowledge, none of these systems are officially crash tested (including ours). The process of "crash" certification is so expensive and the collective scenarios are so variable, its almost impossible to legitimately evaluate such an accessory (so no one does it). That is why we will sell this as a "competition accessory" (laser printed on the backside of the mount) and will openly let the buyer know of potential risks of such a device. The others sellers know this....we are the only ones honest enough to tell you.

Doc

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Pricing is reasonable. Mounting seems (from what I've read of other solutions) sturdier. Maybe consider "plugs" for drill points not in use? I'm looking for a cell phone mounting solution. I'll be in the market after the new year (still paying off parts of stage 1: wheels / tires / lift / regear / TC solution). Do you have a time frame on your solution?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Pricing is reasonable. Mounting seems (from what I've read of other solutions) sturdier. Maybe consider "plugs" for drill points not in use? I'm looking for a cell phone mounting solution. I'll be in the market after the new year (still paying off parts of stage 1: wheels / tires / lift / regear / TC solution). Do you have a time frame on your solution?
Plugs are a good idea....I'll look into those. I agree that it would make for a nice clean look.

Early/mid January is the target....should be achievable since the rails are done, we are just working on the mounts and testing.

Doc

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
The holidays slow everything down....I am told that the prototype middle mounts are in paint today.

Doc

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
For those of you waiting....my apologies. The weather here has been shit and is slowing down the whole process....

We are still tweaking the middle mounts and I met with our engineer yesterday. I should have an update in the next 10 days.

Doc

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm subscribed to this thread. Needing something in the next 30-45 days so I have time.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.