Sponsored

Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2DR JL Sport (Sold); 2022 JLU Sport S ordered
Just received my 2022 Sport S JLU from Gupton and would like to document the build here. I'm coming from a 2020 Sting Gray JL Sport. My heart is with the two door, but with a baby in the near(ish) future, my brain said get the four door. So out with the old (but still pretty new), and in with the new.

Specs:
2022 JLU Sport S
3.6L V6
Manual Transmission
Dana 44 Rear with LSD
Gorilla Glass
Tow Package with Aux Switches

What I'm coming from:

Jeep Wrangler JL Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build 20210114_175033

Parts I Already Have:

Rubicon Take Off Suspension with 3/4" front spacers to level it out (from previous build)
Gladiator Rubicon Take Off Wheels and Tires -285/70/r17 Wildpeak M/Ts (from previous build)
EVO MFG Protek Engine, Trans and Exhaust Loop Skid (from previous build)
Teraflex Antenna/Flag Mount (from previous build)
Misc. Small Stuff

Future Plans:
Aluminum or Steel Front Bumper with Winch (completely undecided)
Maybe a Rear Bumper?
Regear to 4.56s
ARB Single Engine Mount
Bump up to 34's or 35's

First up will be a good clean, clay bar, and ceramic coating. Looking forward to updating this thread as I go. Fair warning, it will probably be slow going.

Here's the starting point from when it got delivered tonight:

Jeep Wrangler JL Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build 20220207_210438
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Nice looking Jeep! You will be getting there faster than I am. Been working on mine for well over 2.5 years and haven't touched the tires, wheels or added a lift yet. Getting close to changing tire size to 35's though.

Going slow has given me time to consider all of the options and realize I've overlooked some. Bumper search was long and painful for me. Tire search is getting pretty close to painful. Spent about a month so far just thinking on that lol.

Good luck and enjoy the transformation!

OP
OP

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice looking Jeep! You will be getting there faster than I am. Been working on mine for well over 2.5 years and haven't touched the tires, wheels or added a lift yet. Getting close to changing tire size to 35's though.

Going slow has given me time to consider all of the options and realize I've overlooked some. Bumper search was long and painful for me. Tire search is getting pretty close to painful. Spent about a month so far just thinking on that lol.

Good luck and enjoy the transformation!
Thanks!

There's definitely some analysis paralysis that goes on with these things if you think about them too long. Luckily I have been pretty happy with my selections so far

OP
OP

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Small updates tonight. It got a good clean (it was filthy from the ride on the truck), clay bar, and ceramic coat. I also cut off those stupid Euro bumper flairs and added some Rugged Ridge door sill guards. More to come...

Hopefully some daylight photos at some point too...
Jeep Wrangler JL Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build 20220208_193123

Jeep Wrangler JL Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build 20220208_215818

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been little while so I guess it is time for an update. I installed the Rubicon suspension. This is my third time doing it and I'm started to get pretty quick. Took about half a day in my garage. Gained about 2.25in in the front (with a .75in spacer) and 1.5 inches in the rear. I like the way it is sitting now and hopefully the spacer will keep the front end from sagging too much when I add a winch. Also seen in the photo is the dash cam I added since drivers here in socal are insane. Vava front dash cam
Jeep Wrangler JL Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build 20220812_104015

The other upgrade I did was replacing the stock halogen bulbs with LED's. HUGE improvement and the value is insane. Got the pair of bulbs from Amazon on prime day for like $35. You can see the difference between the two in the photo.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build 20220723_150843

OP
OP

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been a couple months so it is time for an update. Not much has changed. I picked up some Rubicon takeoff rock rails for free. Not the end state for the rocker panels, but it is a good in between for now. Covers that ugly pinch seam super well!

Additionally, I found out my old skid plates won't fit on the new Jeep. They changed the motor mounts between the 2020 and 2021 model years.... On the hunt again.

And she went on her first slickrock trail! Did the Broken Arrow trail out in Sedona. Exciting, but not overly difficult trail with incredible views. I definitely scraped the bottom more than I thought I would. I guess I got spoiled with the clearance of the 2-door. I was happy with 33's on my JL, but will 100% go up to 34s or 35s with this JLU.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build 20221024_152410

Jeep Wrangler JL Snazzberry Sport S JLU Mostly Mild Build 20221028_105019

Last edited:

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
315’s + 2” Lift + 4.88’s = Bliss
+1 on this.. 4.56 will do too if you are on 8spd auto.

The front will sag a bit, as Mopar spring rates (even the Rubicon) aren't that high. Eventually, you will be faced with either replacing them with aftermarket coils Vs adding larger spacers.

Get a lightweight stamped steel or aluminum bumper. The following are pretty much similar in weight.
  • Mopar steer bumper
  • MP Concepts Aluminum bumper - replica copy of the Mopar one
  • Rugged Ridge Venator Full-width steel bumper

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

you can always run the MP concept aluminum as a stubby saving about 25lbs from the factory bumper

OP
OP

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
+1 on this.. 4.56 will do too if you are on 8spd auto.

The front will sag a bit, as Mopar spring rates (even the Rubicon) aren't that high. Eventually, you will be faced with either replacing them with aftermarket coils Vs adding larger spacers.

Get a lightweight stamped steel or aluminum bumper. The following are pretty much similar in weight.
  • Mopar steer bumper
  • MP Concepts Aluminum bumper - replica copy of the Mopar one
  • Rugged Ridge Venator Full-width steel bumper
A lightweight bumper and winch are definitely coming at some point. Just not sure which ones yet. I'm torn about which tire size to go up to. I like doing trails, but nothing too crazy. 35s look really good and are really appealing until I start thinking about how I'd have to get a new lift. 34s almost get me there, but won't rub with my current setup.
Sponsored