Sponsored

Smoothing out the on/off road ride with shock replacement?

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
I have a 2020 JLUR with 40K on it. Yea, it is my daily driver and I have a lot more miles on road than off, but I do take it offroad. I am not a rock crawler, more of an overlander spirit that likes to go and see the world. I have no desire to life the JLUR, but I am always looking to improve the ride quality both on and off-road.

Here is the kicker: My wife is about to have surgery for a few herniated disks. Right now the JLUR is our only vehicle and I am wondering if replacing the stock shocks would smooth the ride out during her recovery. If so, what would folks recommend and why?
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Fox 2.0's on my Rubi rode a lot better before I did a lift and all sorts of other stuff.

OP
OP
scarleton

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
Fox 2.0's on my Rubi rode a lot better before I did a lift and all sorts of other stuff.
That is great to hear. The other thing I cannot figure out is which set specific FOX Performance Series 2.0 shocks?

I know the Rubicon has a 2" lift over the other trims. It looks like FOX lists shocks with 0 to 1.5 inch lift and then 2 to 3-inch lift. Which one would be used as not to change the lift on the stock Rubicon?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That is great to hear. The other thing I cannot figure out is which set specific FOX Performance Series 2.0 shocks?

I know the Rubicon has a 2" lift over the other trims. It looks like FOX lists shocks with 0 to 1.5 inch lift and then 2 to 3-inch lift. Which one would be used as not to change the lift on the stock Rubicon?
The Rancho XL9000 adjustable shock has a life time warranty and are about $120. They are great shocks and give an excellent ride. I run them on my Jeep and every time someone new rides in my Jeep they will say something along the line of "I can't believe how nice this rides, I was not expecting that."

OP
OP
scarleton

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
The Rancho XL9000 adjustable shock has a lifetime warranty and are about $120. They are great shocks and give an excellent ride. I run them on my Jeep and every time someone new rides in my Jeep they will say something along the line of "I can't believe how nice this rides, I was not expecting that."
I REALLY like the idea of adjustable shocks, I do also have a 2000lb Teardrop so being able to adjust the shocks is a HUGE win, too! Thank you!

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I REALLY like the idea of adjustable shocks, I do also have a 2000lb Teardrop so being able to adjust the shocks is a HUGE win, too! Thank you!
I tow a teardrop syle camper all over the US too. Do not think that you have to spend several hundred dollars for good shocks.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The Rancho XL9000 adjustable shock has a life time warranty and are about $120. They are great shocks and give an excellent ride. I run them on my Jeep and every time someone new rides in my Jeep they will say something along the line of "I can't believe how nice this rides, I was not expecting that."
The Fox 2.0's are about $140 each so not a lot more; but this suggestion is likely better as Fox quality has become iffy lately.

OP
OP
scarleton

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
just ordered a set of Rancho XL9000. They are the right price and they are adjustable! Looking forward to installing them this weekend.

If folks are wondering, I know I was... the Rubicon does NOT have a lift on it compared to the other trims, just higher fenders to accommodate up to 35" tires.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
First, Rubicons do have a lift compared to other trims. Second, I guess you dont need it anymore, but if anybody looking for a softer and better ride, gladiator Rubicon shocks is a nice budget option :)

OP
OP
scarleton

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
First, Rubicons do have a lift compared to other trims.
While I use to believe the same thing, too many things point to the fact it does not have a life. It started when I called HighLift OffRoad (https://highliftoffroad.com/) here in Cincinnati and asked them about the Rancho XL9000. Their supplies didn't have them in stock, but when I asked about which shocks I need, the normal (zero lift) or the 1.5-2 in lift, they said zero lift. They told me the difference in the Rubicon was the shocks and the fenders. The fenders are higher to accommodate up to 35" tires.

When I stop to really think about it, this totally fits! I don't see a huge difference between a Sport/Sahara and the Rubicon. If the Rubicon had a 2-inch lift with the 33" tires, it should sit noticeably higher than the Sport/Sahara, but it only sits a little bit higher, like about an inch, which would be the result of 33" tires over 31" tires.

I also wanted to see what others had to say on this matter and Google dug up these two threads on different forums.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threa...n-and-sport-are-the-shocks-and-tires.1584538/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...between-sport-s-and-rubicon-suspension.17918/

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
When I stop to really think about it, this totally fits! I don't see a huge difference between a Sport/Sahara and the Rubicon. If the Rubicon had a 2-inch lift with the 33" tires, it should sit noticeably higher than the Sport/Sahara, but it only sits a little bit higher, like about an inch, which would be the result of 33" tires over 31" tires.

I also wanted to see what others had to say on this matter and Google dug up these two threads on different forums.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threa...n-and-sport-are-the-shocks-and-tires.1584538/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...between-sport-s-and-rubicon-suspension.17918/
Did you try and look at about a million threads about Rubicon suspension on a Sport/Sahara on this forum? I actually have it installed on my sport. The differences are shocks, fenders AND springs.
But to confuse a lot of people all lifts are counted from Rubicon. So a 2 inch will lift your Rubicon about 2 inches, but will be about 3.5" lift for stock Sport all things been equal.
Sponsored