Smoothest Riding 35 inch tire?

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
My vote goes for General Grabbers A/TX.
Smoother, quieter, much more grip than the stock highway Michelin LTX tires that came on Jeep.
I have no idea how they where able to do this with an All terrain.
Sponsored

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
From multiple sources, I think for good on street performance, quietness and still good off road, my list will either be
Milestar Patagonia or Good Year Duratrac

I was hard set on the Milestars, but met 2 people with the Duratracs who did fantastic off road with them and swear they are very quiet on pavement.

The duratracs are excellent Offroad. I’ve done the Rubicon on a set of those. They performed very well.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The KO2s do very well off road. I’ve had them all over Moab and they stick like glue to the rocks and have no issues grabbing onto ledges either.
Agree and same experience out there. Like glue on those rocks.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do you have any lift on your JLUR? Was wondering if you hit the fenders with the KO2 315's.
I get fender contact with 37s and no lift but not enough to damage the fenders or liners.

20191017_163500.jpg
20191017_163556.jpg

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Thanks for the picture response. Looks like you still have stock wheels?
Yes, still running stock wheels. Haven't had any problem. I air down to about 14 PSI, I don't think I'd go below that on stock wheels, but that's fine for the wheeling I do.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
The KO2 in 315/70/17 size comes with a C load rating, which is likely to be smoother than an E rated version. (I've not driven the E rated version, and only about 2 or 3 pounds separate them, so the ride actually may not be that different) I've got the C rated, and it rides beautifully, on and off road. It has handled everything I've thrown at it, from Moab to mud. I just did some off-roading with a Jeep club a few weeks ago and everyone had a wide variety of tires. There wasn't any situation where the KO2 appeared to struggle more than the others except thick mud. Even there, it got through, just not as easily as dedicated mud tires. However, there wasn't another AT that did any better.

I'm on a trip in Tennessee right now. We ran some moderate trails with some wet rocks and mud, then turned around and drove the Tail of the Dragon. There are tires everywhere that my do a specific job better, but I've never experienced one that does as well across the spectrum, and I don't know of one with a better ride or handling on-road, and they are quiet, too.

Btw, I've beaten the hell out of these for 24k miles with no side wall punctures or gouges. That includes lots of sharp rock trails. They've held up and haven't chunked or shown any issues with the tread. The wear has been excellent (5 tire rotation, so about 20k is on each tire) and they remain very quiet. I would not be surprised to see 60k to 70k out of this set, although I will certainly replace them well before they get to the wear bars. I won't let them get to where they become a set of skis off road.
Dan, do you have the 6 speed manual tranny? If so, how much different was the gear ratio drivability when you went to the 315/70’s compared to the OEM 285’s? I realize this topic has been brought up many other places within this forum, but not specifically with the KO2’s. Somebody else said the KO2’s diameter is slightly smaller than what BFG publishes for the various sizes.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Dan, do you have the 6 speed manual tranny? If so, how much different was the gear ratio drivability when you went to the 315/70’s compared to the OEM 285’s? I realize this topic has been brought up many other places within this forum, but not specifically with the KO2’s. Somebody else said the KO2’s diameter is slightly smaller than what BFG publishes for the various sizes.
I found no downside going to 37" KO2 on stock gears. On stock tires, 5th and 6th were too close together, so I would accelerate in 4th and then shift straight to 6th for cruising. Now, I accelerate and cruise in 4th up to about 60, then shift to 5th above that. Still only using 5 forward gears, plus I'm in no big rush to shift into 2nd, I can comfortably accelerate to about 20mph in 1st. On stock tires, I was shifting to 2nd by 10-12 mph, or just taking off in 2nd.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I found no downside going to 37" KO2 on stock gears. On stock tires, 5th and 6th were too close together, so I would accelerate in 4th and then shift straight to 6th for cruising. Now, I accelerate and cruise in 4th up to about 60, then shift to 5th above that. Still only using 5 forward gears, plus I'm in no big rush to shift into 2nd, I can comfortably accelerate to about 20mph in 1st. On stock tires, I was shifting to 2nd by 10-12 mph, or just taking off in 2nd.
So you’re saying 5th is now the same ratio as 6th was before you went to the 37’s? I agree with you that 5th and 6th gears are fairly close in ratio. How many long steep hills do you encounter on a daily basis and how has the performance been affected climbing these hills? Do you ever use 6th anymore?

I’m waiting for DanW to respond because he’s running 35’s which is what I plan on going to at some point. I’m hoping my 6th gear ratio won’t be affected too bad.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So you’re saying 5th is now the same ratio as 6th was before you went to the 37’s? I agree with you that 5th and 6th gears are fairly close in ratio. How many long steep hills do you encounter on a daily basis and how has the performance been affected climbing these hills? Do you ever use 6th anymore?

I’m waiting for DanW to respond because he’s running 35’s which is what I plan on going to at some point. I’m hoping my 6th gear ratio won’t be affected too bad.
5th is pretty close to what 6th was. It really doesn't matter what the number on top of the stick says, all that matters is rpm / trans / t-case / axle x circumference of tire. Don't get stuck on wanting to use each gear, or what gear your in for a particular speed, it's rpm to load/speed that's more important.

I don't have anything even remotely related to a hill near me, and I have no need to shift to 6th as 5th puts me in the right rpm range for optimal fuel economy at highway speed. In hills, you will probably be down-shifting to 3rd where you are currently shifting to 4th, but don't get hung up on that, your rpm when climbing a hill will be similar in 3rd as it currently is in 4th.

Village Idiot

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The c rated KO2s are lighter and softer but it’s closer to a 34” tire. This is a factor for those looking to get a true 35” tire.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I have the Cooper ST/MAXX. They're fantastic. I daily drive my Jeep. They're every bit as comfortable on the road as the stock KO2's and oddly enough, they may even feel better than the K02 off road. I've only done one trip out with them but I was very surprised how comfortable they were on bumpy trails. I gotta give them some more time off road to really know for sure but I love them so far.

cooper_discovererstmaxx_bw_48566_vary_jpg_s3_crop_x1000.jpg
Sponsored