Smokers: Show off your ash tray

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Doctors do a lot of things. Just because they do it once for a patient doesn’t mean that it’s safe to do it 20 times a day 7 days a week for years, does it? Try taking those x-rays 20 times a day 7 days a week for 10 years (if you live that long) and see what happens.

Doctors also get a lot of things wrong. Today, and yesterday. Just ask a thalidomide baby and his/her mom.

Inhaling chemicals into ones lungs every day is likely not a great idea.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Marlboro said smoking was safe... how’d that turn out?

It will be decades before we understand the long term impact of vaping. What we do know is nicotine is insanely addicting. COPD sucks. Lung cancer sucks. Heart attacks suck but at least they kill you quick.

If you’re not addicted to nicotine just don’t. There’s no amazing high. There’s no rush. There’s only withdrawal and cravings when you stop. It’s the most pointless drug. Maybe in 50 years it’ll be low risk. Maybe we will have a whole new generation of oxygen toting emphysema and lung cancer patients. If you wanna roll that dice for no appreciable benefit so be it. But don’t kid yourself that a lack of evidence that it is harmful is a wealth of evidence that it’s good. It’s just too new and these diseases take time to develop.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Since we are significantly derailed - no vaping for me, however I do like my beef dry aged and medium rare followed by a good tatujae or Arturo Fuente. Oh yeah, I don’t use the crosswalk either.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Smoking, vaping, it's all TERRIBLE for your lungs. Every day I ask multiple people if they smoke. Many times I get the response, "No I don't smoke. But I smoke weed." So stupid, if people (who only smoke weed) saw the black necrotic lunch tissue/mucus I pull out of their lungs on the end of an endotracheal tube they wouldn't believe it. It's so bad.

Sorry, that was off-topic. Smoking is just a hot button issue for me. To your request I can't help. I don't have an ashtray.
A fellow RT?

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
What’s your source that proves that vaping is terrible for you? Do you know what the ingredients are that make up the liquid? It’s mostly vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol. These have been used for decades by doctors to administer drugs through inhalation. They’re generally considered safe.

USDA-approved flavoring chemicals are the third ingredient. This is where the real question mark is. The USDA approves them for consumption as ingredients in food, i.e. liquids added to other ingredients and then cooked (or not), not as a liquid turned into vapor and then inserted into your lungs through inhalation. Most doctors raise this as the potentially dangerous ingredient. They always use the term “potentially” though because there haven’t been any long-term studies. Well, the scientifically honest ones do, anyway.

Fourth ingredient is nicotine in the form of nicotine extract, a clear liquid that has a set concentration of nicotine cut with vegetable glycerine (or propylene glycol, can’t remember). The effects of nicotine are well-documented. It’s addictive (duh) and has many properties in common with caffeine. Plenty of research out there on nicotine if you look for it. In small doses it’s relatively harmless, much like caffeine.

Bottom line is that the jury is still out on the safety of vaping, but most intellectually honest doctors and scientists will admit that it’s probably safer for you than putting a combusted mixture of a hundred different chemicals into your lungs twenty time a day like pack-a-day smokers do. This touches on the difference between smoke and vapor, the processes of combustion versus vaporizing, but that’s another long story. They’ll then say that it’s safest to not smoke or vape anything (again, duh).

I can go find my sources if you really want me to but it’ll have to wait; I’m at work and have already taken too much time to type this. I did all this research over a year ago when I vaped. It helped me quit cigarettes and dipping... for a while anyway.

Reports of popcorn lung caused by vaping a few years ago were wildly overblown, by the way. There were a handful of cases, which, compared against the millions of people who vape, is a tiny fraction of the number of vapers. There are people who get popcorn lung from smoking cigarettes- even that is a tiny number compared against the number of cigarette smokers, and it’s still far greater than the percentage who have gotten it from vaping.

Oh, and on topic- I don’t smoke cigars often anymore, and if I do it’s usually not in my jeep, but if I did in my jeep the doors would probably be off so I wouldn’t need an ash tray.
Propylene glycol is actual a common allergy, it’s also toxic to cats, but if you have an allergy to it and vape it’ll irritate the bronchials and you can develop scar tissue or infections due to the inflammation. That’s something we understand why it’s bad, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence right now too which isn’t worth too much.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
'Something's got to kill you' - the idea is to increase the quality and duration of life, not use the certainty of death to hasten it in ways that the quality of end stage cancer will wish you had taken that life.

'The man' - when 'the man' tells you that you can't hold a simply friendly conversation in public that's overbearing. But don't cry about lost liberties when your actions (.e.g smoking) can negatively affect others, like second hand smoke. Your liberty isn't absolute nor should it be as such rights would interfere with the liberties of those no less deserving of them. Or do you feel it's okay to yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater and risk mayhem when no such fire exists?

Doing stuff that greatly increases your chances of getting sick taxes public health costs if you have no insurance, and raises the rates for others even if you have your own coverage. You want to ride your motorcycle without a helmet...okay...BUT please have insurance in place that when you kill yourself or become a vegetable your family and health care costs are covered privately. I am all for responsible libertarians whose choices minimally tax others.

'Vaping is fine' - "Vaping" is commonly referred to as the inhalation of nicotine; let's separate it from, for example, the inhalation of bronchial medicines that aid breathing, sometimes needed, paradoxically enough, as a result of smoking. There is no question that nicotine ingestion through the lungs, apart from being addictive, cigarette or vape, risks the quality and duration of life.

Finally, at the OP's request to show your ash tray, here's one, even if not mine:

figure90_277401.jpg

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Asking a show off your ashtray isn’t likely gonna end well. You’re asking people to promote their cancer boxes. So I see how this went derailed.

That said I tell my patients yes we all die from something. I encourage them to play the odds though. You don’t bet on the Browns when your life is on the line. Sure they could win, just like you could die of something else, but odds are they will lose.

So to my patients I say if you love smoking so much you are okay dying a slow death suffocating or by cancer then by all means go for it in the privacy of your own home. Don’t expose others. Don’t promote it.

Now realize just about every corporation is trying to feed you addictive poison. Alcohol, nicotine, and sadly the most prevalent and hard to regulate... sugar. They will all tell you it’s good for you. My favorite is candy that will say it is a “fat free food.”

As for Vaping I just received a warning today from our state medical association of several reports of severe lung disease in young folks with vaping as the suspected culprit. It’ll take years of studies to sort it out and likely a swath of dead people by then. Que the class action suits in 10years.

Here’s the advisory that just went live.

“Multiple states across the country have reported clusters of patients experiencing severe respiratory disease after using e-cigarette or vapor products. As of 8/21/19, 153 possible cases have been reported across 16 states.

ODH has received six reports of patients experiencing serious respiratory symptoms following e-cigarette or vaping product use. Those reports are being investigated.”

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
A fellow RT?
Anesthesiologist.

The other thing about smoking I don't think a lot of people ralize is how it directly contributes to rate of developing back pain. I don't know how often the connection between smoking and back pain are stressed in primary care settings. Low back pain is regarded as one of the most common pain complaints by patients and one of the most taxing conditions on our healthcare system.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
As an every day cigar smoker, I was excited when I saw the thread title. After viewing, I was highly disappointed at the quick derailment.

Anyway, here's my cigar ashtray. I only smoke with the soft top down or in sunrider position. Cigars are relaxing. I can be stuck in traffic (like last night) and I'm in no hurry.

I almost didn't get a manual figuring it would be difficult to smoke while driving, but it's really not bad (it's quite challenging on the trails though).

20180215_173315-jpg.jpg

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Marlboro said smoking was safe... how’d that turn out?

It will be decades before we understand the long term impact of vaping. What we do know is nicotine is insanely addicting. COPD sucks. Lung cancer sucks. Heart attacks suck but at least they kill you quick.

If you’re not addicted to nicotine just don’t. There’s no amazing high. There’s no rush. There’s only withdrawal and cravings when you stop. It’s the most pointless drug. Maybe in 50 years it’ll be low risk. Maybe we will have a whole new generation of oxygen toting emphysema and lung cancer patients. If you wanna roll that dice for no appreciable benefit so be it. But don’t kid yourself that a lack of evidence that it is harmful is a wealth of evidence that it’s good. It’s just too new and these diseases take time to develop.
I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to stay awake while pulling security or in a long-duration observation point after a week or two of getting about two hours of sleep a night, living out in the field, carrying around a 40-lbs rucksack with 20-30 additional pounds worth of weapons and kit, but I can tell you that having a dip in has a point. It helps keep you awake.

The Troopers who go 20 years in the military (combat arms especially) without touching tobacco, now THAT’S something impressive to me.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Tar Heel Wrangler

People love an opportunity to point out how wrong other people’s actions are. It makes them feel good about themselves.
I can't speak for others, but others smoking makes me sad for the bad outcomes they may realize from their decisions, not me better about myself because I don't smoke.

If I got one person here to rethink their actions, get their loved one to rethink their actions, retry quitting, talk to their doctor about CHANTIX or a nicotine patch, cutting down, and yes, moving from a cigarette to a less dangerous vamping substitute as in intermediate step......

that would make me feel good.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Anesthesiologist.

The other thing about smoking I don't think a lot of people ralize is how it directly contributes to rate of developing back pain. I don't know how often the connection between smoking and back pain are stressed in primary care settings. Low back pain is regarded as one of the most common pain complaints by patients and one of the most taxing conditions on our healthcare system.
and heart disease...