First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m not sure what it is and we bought the 3500 mile Rubicon anyway. I used to smoke and remember what a car smells like that was smoked in but this one is close but not quite the same. Vaping? Can vaping do the same because that’s popular now.

I’ve had success in mitigating the smell of a smoker car before but it’s a lot of cleaning work so I guess I’m asking if a professional detailer will likely be able to succeed here? I’d really rather pay somebody to do it this time but if I don’t get the results I want, which is practically no smell at all at the worst, then I guess I would need to do it myself and go purchase a new steam machine.

Thoughts? Do it myself, farm it out, or both lol. Because if it’s not done right I’ll end up doing it myself anyway. I’m just wondering how often professional detailer Shops work on things like this. I’ve only ever had a vehicle cleaned rather than having them fight an odor.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
First thing I'd do is change the cabin air filter and see how much it fixes it.
You're tugging on what I also think...a lot of the odor can reside in the HVAC system and ducting. There are foaming cleaners for the HVAC system. I had a car that was a smoker car. I replaced all the upholstery (including seat foam), headliner, carpet, etc.. It still had an odor from the ducting. But it had been smoked in for a few years. Only removing the HVAC system and cleaning all the components and ducts, eliminated the odor completely.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I had good luck with an ozone generator that plugged into the cigarette lighter and putting socks filled with ground coffee under the front seats.

Sponsored

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I’m not sure what it is and we bought the 3500 mile Rubicon anyway. I used to smoke and remember what a car smells like that was smoked in but this one is close but not quite the same. Vaping? Can vaping do the same because that’s popular now.

I’ve had success in mitigating the smell of a smoker car before but it’s a lot of cleaning work so I guess I’m asking if a professional detailer will likely be able to succeed here? I’d really rather pay somebody to do it this time but if I don’t get the results I want, which is practically no smell at all at the worst, then I guess I would need to do it myself and go purchase a new steam machine.

Thoughts? Do it myself, farm it out, or both lol. Because if it’s not done right I’ll end up doing it myself anyway. I’m just wondering how often professional detailer Shops work on things like this. I’ve only ever had a vehicle cleaned rather than having them fight an odor.
Vaping doesn't smell that much. And generally, there's a flavour in every liquid, which makes my own Willys smell like cherry. Cigarillos? More likely.

Ozone generator and coffee beans under the seats will do the trick.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
You're tugging on what I also think...a lot of the odor can reside in the HVAC system and ducting. There are foaming cleaners for the HVAC system. I had a car that was a smoker car. I replaced all the upholstery (including seat foam), headliner, carpet, etc.. It still had an odor from the ducting. But it had been smoked in for a few years. Only removing the HVAC system and cleaning all the components and ducts, eliminated the odor completely.
+1 on changing the cabin filter. I also recommend just giving it a general airing out which will eliminate any trapped odors.

Side note - I bought an '86 Cutlass years ago from a guy who rode EVERYWHERE with his giant furry dog. That dog's smell (and fur) was everywhere. I wound up taking the seats out, vacuuming all the fur, and shampooing the carpet plus the seats. While that was out drying in the hot summer sun, I pulled the trim off the AC vents, cleaned what I could reach, and hosed them down with Lysol. I also removed the blower fan and sprayed more Lysol in through the front side of the vent system, then cranked the fan to circulate the Lysol and (hopefully) kill the smell.

It worked.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
previous owner probably hot boxing the devils lettuce too many times in there....that stuff definitely leaves a stench

Jeep Wrangler JL Smoker or vaping smell? 1618883301463

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Vaping may leave a small residue but it’s short lived and usually disappears over a few days. Just like a nasty, putrid fart. Either yours or your passengers.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Ozone machines are hard on plastics and upholstery. First clean everything inside, the seats, carpet, windows and the inside of the hardtop (if you have one). Buy a foaming cleaner for the HVAC vents, replace the cabin filter and wipe down all of the hard surfaces. It should smell a whole lot better after that. The put a box of baking soda or several dryer sheets under the seats. You can also put a dryer sheet on both sides of the cabin filter for a few days.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Look at ozone generators. I seem to recall a friend having great success with one.
I have this one and it’s great:

Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 4500mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388/

Unless you’re using a big commercial one over and over and over again, your plastics will be just fine. I’ve used this on all my vehicles with great results. Run the a/c on max with recirculation turned on. I would do it with cabin filter removed, and then put in a new filter when done.

darrylrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
It's like car CSI, right? I used to be a smoker too, so I feel your pain. Vaping is a whole new ball game, those E Liquids can leave a lingering scent. I'd say, give the pros a shot first. Professional detailers work wonders, and it's a lifesaver if you're not in the mood for a deep clean marathon. They tackle funky odors all the time, and your Rubicon might just need their magic touch. If it doesn't cut it, well, you can always unleash your inner cleaning warrior. Who knows, maybe your Rubicon will thank you with a fresh scent road trip!
Sponsored

Last edited: