Sponsored

Smoke On Startup

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Hello All. I've got a 2020 JLU with about 7300 miles on it. Today i'd gone out for a bit and parked in garage...I came out about 2 hours later and upon starting up, quite a bit of smoke came out of my exhaust...the smoke appeared maybe gray-ish...but I couldn't be entirely sure. By the time I hopped out and got back there the smoke was done (maybe 5 seconds of smoke). It was a significant amount of smoke though and very odd..its not done that in the few months i've owned it nor did it happen again. The weather was 65 and sunny so the climate and weather were both quite good. I thought to call the dealership but thought since it only happened once, I might ask here first and see what people think may have occurred.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Oil has probably leaked past one of the valves stem seals. If under warranty, take it in, if the issue persists. If not under warranty, then drive it, and check the plugs periodically. By checking the.plugs, if this happens a lot, you might find which cylinder is the issue. in the old days, I would have dumped a can of Resilon engine treatment in, just prior to an oil change. That usually freed and cured a.lot of issues. But, I dont know how these new engines would react to that.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Probably condensation in the exhaust, cool outside air make this show up more as the warm moist exhaust hits the cool air. Oil smoke would be blue-ish. Water is white/gray. If it were anti-freeze it would smell sweet and wouldn't go away.

If it was oil, it's more likely just some oil residue in the PCV system that condensed and collected in the like then got sucked in at startup. No big deal, both scenarios are perfectly normal.

If it was a leaking valve stem seal you'd get smoke while slowing down with your foot off the gas.
Sponsored