Sponsored

Smittybilt side armor uneven

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Installed a set of the Smittybilt 77634 this afternoon and noticed that they look very uneven if you look at them from the front or rear. It’s the same on the both sides where the front seems way more tucked in than the rear.

Anyone else notice/experience this?

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt side armor uneven 4931CA2E-4AE9-488E-9C55-44298A5B7DCA
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt side armor uneven 905883D6-B686-4B12-8D06-69626618CB00
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
looks pretty weird. Mine are perfectly straight, but I have a 2 door. I remember installation was a bit of a pain getting that weird nut inside the frame. Are you sure you got it in the right spot? I would double check all steps of the installation.

OP
OP
TP1

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I made sure all holes were lined up correctly multiple times. Thought it was weird on one side, but it’s more odd that both sides look like that.

Last edited:

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Some bars have spacers that you use to get the alignment right. For mine (Barricade rather than Smittybuilt) I ended up using small spacers on the mounts towards the rear of the vehicle. Just a flat plate with holes for the bolt studs to go through. If you click the video start, it is cued up to where he talks about the spacers.

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
did You torque one end all the way and they do the other? if so, that may be an issue. Loosen back up shake, tighten one end a bit then tighten the other, check for gaps, and then do final torque if gaps look good.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TP1

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
did You torque one end all the way and they do the other? if so, that may be an issue. Loosen back up shake, tighten one end a bit then tighten the other, check for gaps, and then do final torque if gaps look good.
Tried that where they were completely loose. Even with that, I can’t ever get them even.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Tried that where they were completely loose. Even that was can’t ever get them even.
so, even when completely loose, you could not align them front to back to get an even space down the side? No amount of fiddling with loose bolts would get them to align?

call the manufacturer.

oh, and I am assuming that these are not “left/right” sided some how and you have them on the wrong side? Stupid point, I know but, just figured I’d make it.

OP
OP
TP1

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
so, even when completely loose, you could not align them front to back to get an even space down the side? No amount of fiddling with loose bolts would get them to align?

call the manufacturer.

oh, and I am assuming that these are not “left/right” sided some how and you have them on the wrong side? Stupid point, I know but, just figured I’d make it.
Correct, and with the nuts only started on each of the bolts, it never can line up evenly.

They are right/left specific, and only go on one way. Couldn’t put them on the wrong side even if you tried.

OP
OP
TP1

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Some bars have spacers that you use to get the alignment right. For mine (Barricade rather than Smittybuilt) I ended up using small spacers on the mounts towards the rear of the vehicle. Just a flat plate with holes for the bolt studs to go through. If you click the video start, it is cued up to where he talks about the spacers.

No spacers on the smittybilt.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You do know the body of the JL is curved, not straight. My Body Armor 4X4 were curved just like the stock Rubicon rails I took off. My guess is the "quality" Chinese made Smittybuilt are straight.

OP
OP
TP1

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
You do know the body of the JL is curved, not straight. My Body Armor 4X4 were curved just like the stock Rubicon rails I took off. My guess is the "quality" Chinese made Smittybuilt are straight.
Looks like you’re 100% correct, I went and gave it another look. The body tapers as it gets to the rear door in front of the wheel well and the rails looks straight.

Also just called a buddy with the same rails and he went out and checked and he said his is the same way and said he’d never noticed it before.

Guess it’s my OCD kicking in.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
No spacers on the smittybilt.
If you can’t get them to line up loose, no amount of spacers will work.

time to call the manufacturer.
Depends on the length of the studs and how much it needs to come away from the body. If they are short, you're correct, probably not fixable with spacers.

If they use the pinch bolt holes, then you could make your own from some aluminum plate. Basically cut it in a rectangle and drill two holes. Could use fender washers but plate is a bit cleaner and avoids stress risers.

Depends how bad your CDO is.

Yes, CDO - it's OCD but in alphabetical order like it should be...

Reactions: TP1

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Looks like you’re 100% correct, I went and gave it another look. The body tapers as it gets to the rear door in front of the wheel well and the rails looks straight.

Also just called a buddy with the same rails and he went out and checked and he said his is the same way and said he’d never noticed it before.

Guess it’s my OCD kicking in.
Idk man it looks pretty offset on your picture. Ive seen them on 4 doors and they look just fine. Maybe your picture is exaggerating?

SB is made in China and people love to bash on them, because China does suck. But whatever people say, SB makes quality parts. The SRC side armor are well designed and built. Mine have a really good powder coat, much better than my china made rugged ridge bumper. You can beat the shit out of them and not feel bad. It is a piece of metal designed to take a beating, I wouldnt pay more for sliders.

And you know, lots of those overpriced mopar parts, like the mopar bumper and sliders are china made too.
Sponsored

Last edited: