Sponsored

Smittybilt Security Storage Vault installed in the JLUR!

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
I'm particularly excited about this install because ever since I started running a full-time open rig I quickly realized there's nowhere to put anything that can't be picked out by a casual passer-by (except the tiny glovebox).

I ordered this from Smittybilt Depot. Make sure you get Part S/B2763. There's one that looks exactly like it made for 2-door JKs that is about 2 inches too long to fit in the back of a JLU. Note that this is a JK part, but it fits a JLU perfectly. All you have to do is drill 4 new holes in the bottom of the vault as shown in my pictures.

I chose to bolt to the storage pan (does it have a real name?), because it was easiest. You may be able to bolt to the 6 little tie-down ring holders along the sides (trail rail?), but it would come very close to the edge of the vault.

The other benefit of using the storage pan is the bolt holes are accessible from underneath the Jeep. I taped a piece of cardboard to the bottom of the vault, positioned it where I wanted it, then used a nail to poke holes in the cardboard to mark the spots to drill. No measuring necessary!

A few more notes:

- You don't really have to lock the vault. When the tailgate is locked, the vault can't be opened.
- The 4 rings on the top of the box make it easy to use tie-downs or bungee cords for additional storage up top.
- I cut a rubber floor mat to fit the bottom of the vault's drawer, which works well to keep the contents from sliding around.
- There is still room in front of the box to access the tire iron and jack storage compartment. With some cutting you can also fit the original plastic cover over it.

You can find more info on my Jeep here: https://www.instagram.com/suboptimal_

Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps someone out who is reluctant to order large JK parts for the JL :)

20180525_062733.jpg 20180525_062817.jpg 20180524_210550.jpg 20180524_210706.jpg 20180524_191537.jpg 20180524_192037.jpg
Sponsored

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Looks good. How does it seem to affect the subwoofer?

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Looks good. How does it seem to affect the subwoofer?
I tested it before I bolted it down, and I don't notice a difference at normal listening levels. If you turn the bass wayyyyy up it might buzz some of the tools in the vault.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Extremely interested in finding out about the cargo net you have installed. Is it a JK one and it works? Or is it one designed for the JL? I am looking for one for our JLU once we actually get it so we can have the dog in the back with the top off and not worry about him.

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Extremely interested in finding out about the cargo net you have installed. Is it a JK one and it works? Or is it one designed for the JL? I am looking for one for our JLU once we actually get it so we can have the dog in the back with the top off and not worry about him.
Dirty Dog 4x4 3-Piece Rear Netting Kit. This is the non-spiderweb one, with square grid sides, which I prefer.

Purchased from ExtremeTerrain, part # J4NN07RCBK. This is a JK part, but it fits on the JL because it's so adjustable.

The only thing you have to deal with is securing the bottom. It comes with a metal bar, but it doesn't fit snugly in the JLs soft top clips. So I decided to use the factory soft top tailgate bar, attached to the webbing bar with zip-ties. Good enough for me!

20180525_165940.jpg 20180525_170504.jpg 20180525_170003.jpg 20180525_170143.jpg 20180525_170054.jpg 20180525_170116.jpg

Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Perfect. Thanks for the info and the pics. Much appreciated.

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Billet Silver , 6 speed
I have been going nuts trying to find a way to secure my stuff. This is great ! Thank you . I ordered the cargo box yesterday . Amazon made sure to tell me that is will NOT fit my jeep. I hope your right ..lol . How did you get the holes marked to drill on the bottom portion on the box?

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
I have been going nuts trying to find a way to secure my stuff. This is great ! Thank you . I ordered the cargo box yesterday . Amazon made sure to tell me that is will NOT fit my jeep. I hope your right ..lol . How did you get the holes marked to drill on the bottom portion on the box?
1. Remove the drawer from the box. The instructions tell you how to release the drawer. Everything that follows will be easier with the drawer out!

2. Along the sides of the Jeeps trunk you will find 6 rings bolted to the floor. Pry up the plastic tab, then unbolt them with the torx bit that comes in the Jeep kit.

3. You can now remove those flooring panels and also the center piece, revealing the under-floor plastic storage pan.

4. Remove the 4 hex bolts around the pan as shown in my photo. These will be your anchor points.

5. All the bolt holes are visible from underneath the Jeep, except the top right one, which is covered by this tinfoil-looking material. I poked a hole in it with a nail.

6. Tape a piece of cardboard to the underside of the box, then center the box in the trunk. It should sink in nicely between the plastic pieces near the tailgate as shown in my photos.

** Make sure your rear seats are up, and the tailgate can close **

7. Go underneath the Jeep and poke a nail though each bolt hole, marking the cardboard.

8. Lift up the box on it's end with the seats down and you can drill your pilot holes right through the cardboard.

Voila!

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. Remove the drawer from the box. The instructions tell you how to release the drawer. Everything that follows will be easier with the drawer out!

2. Along the sides of the Jeeps trunk you will find 6 rings bolted to the floor. Pry up the plastic tab, then unbolt them with the torx bit that comes in the Jeep kit.

3. You can now remove those flooring panels and also the center piece, revealing the under-floor plastic storage pan.

4. Remove the 4 hex bolts around the pan as shown in my photo. These will be your anchor points.

5. All the bolt holes are visible from underneath the Jeep, except the top right one, which is covered by this tinfoil-looking material. I poked a hole in it with a nail.

6. Tape a piece of cardboard to the underside of the box, then center the box in the trunk. It should sink in nicely between the plastic pieces near the tailgate as shown in my photos.

** Make sure your rear seats are up, and the tailgate can close **

7. Go underneath the Jeep and poke a nail though each bolt hole, marking the cardboard.

8. Lift up the box on it's end with the seats down and you can drill your pilot holes right through the cardboard.

Voila!
Fantastic! Much appreciation for the detailed instructions! Ill post a pic once I get it and install it!

Sponsored

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SO my package arrived today ! Waiting to get off work and check out the box!

IMG_2428.PNG

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Followed JD Flick exactly. Worked great. Seems awful solid!
Dude, I love it, my Smittybilt brother!

One thing I would do is cut the forward facing tab on the plastic bolt holder panel that is currently wedged under the box. That way it can be removed to get the winch, tire iron, and anything else you want to store in there.

Nice work!

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude, I love it, my Smittybilt brother!

One thing I would do is cut the forward facing tab on the plastic bolt holder panel that is currently wedged under the box. That way it can be removed to get the winch, tire iron, and anything else you want to store in there.

Nice work!
I took the vault out. I put the cargo Mat under it ( trimmed the high spots ) and moved the jack into the vault. The vault came with a bag that worked great to hod the jack and accessories. The only issued is the vault door slides a little in and out when moving. Makes a annoying noise. Need to put a little felt in there.

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Here's how I dealt with the jack compartment.

The bolt holes are not really functional without the top to hold them down, but I'm going to make some kind of Velcro strap.

But at least the space is usable.

20180603_124323.jpg 20180603_124410.jpg
Sponsored