Sponsored

Smittybilt Safari hard top for JL?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I'm in Elmira. I do need a 2dr hardtop to do the measurements for the slider/cargo window installation kit (I've already done the JLU kit design), I'll be checking the dealers within about an hour from me to see if any of them have a 2dr because my local dealer doesn't.

What I need a 2dr for more urgently for is a product that Overland Outfitters picked up - it's a storage product and they call it a Saddlebag, it mounts along the side of the tub next to the back seat and its form-fitted to the curves of the inner fender. It's made from high quality leather and canvas and makes good use of space that's otherwise never used. It mounts to the bolt holes in the tub for the hardtop, and there's a zipper to quickly remove the bag from its mount. They've got the JK/JKU version in production (it's available at Quadratec, among other places), and I need to measure for fitment to the JL 2dr. Here's a photo of one in a JK 2dr:

SaddlebagIn2dr1_zpsnttbdt1d.jpg

If I don't find a 2dr at a dealer within an hour or so within the next two weeks, I'll be in NYC in three weeks so maybe if it works for you I'll drop by and measure/test fit the bag in your 2dr.

Thanks!!
ok. I have my rear seat out, is that an issue?
Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
Last edited:

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That is simply outstanding. Wow. Great job. I have a JL and would buy that for mine in a heartbeat.

Thank you very much. I'm definitely not interested in going into business but I do like designing new things and making a few examples of each design- my hobby is design. I did a hardtop for my LJ before I did the JKU one and that one was licensed by a company and has been in production for the past few years (photo below), so sometimes things I design turn into products. I also did the CJ grille kit for the TJ/LJ that's on the Jeep in the photo below, but I haven't licensed that to anyone yet so for now it's a one-off.

I recently finished several JL/JLU designs, including a slider window kit and a cargo hatch window kit for factory hardtops, several hardware designs like Rotopax and HiLift carriers, and several fabric designs like custom fit storage bags and Molle panels, all of these have been picked up by companies for production, some of those are on the market now and some will be soon. (But not by me, I'm not in business and I don't sell anything, I just do designs for my own enjoyment :)).

LJ-8Final1_zps41e4e7a4.jpg

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Very interested in seeing these designs for sale soon. Are there multiple vendors ?

Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some cool stuff there, thanks for the link
Retrofit Offroad tries to do things that you can't get from other sources - they're the only one in the JK market to offer half door slider windows, slider windows for factory hardtops and a bunch of other things. They've asked me to do JL half doors in fiberglass for them but not having a JL myself, I don't have enough access to a JL to do a project like that.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interested in seeing these designs for sale soon. Are there multiple vendors ?
Which designs specifically are you interested in? I can point you at the right vendors for specific products.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Buy that......yes, your suffering from Land Rover Defender envy.

Jeep; It’s an American icon.

Land Rover Defender is Great Britain’s iconic off road vehicle.

The best Defender was never as good an off road vehicle as Jeep has been

eric0231

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.speedprochicagoloop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Business owner
Here are some photos and a video showing the cargo hatch window on a JK 2dr, the JL/JLU versions look the same. So far I've done the designs for the JKU, JK2dr and JLU, will do the JL 2dr as soon as I get access to a JL 2dr to do some measurements.

CargoWindowFlushLatches1_zps2xc2k19n.jpg

CargoWindowInstalled2_zps5mgbaym7.jpg

The plan is to have two versions of the hatch - one version with glass, and one version with a solid aluminum panel.

Also in the plan is a Molle grid that goes on the inside to store gear inside the hatch, these photos are of the JKU prototype. Molle gear, Quickfist clamps and other gear and mounts can be used on both sides of the panel:

CargoWindowHatch4_zps9uytnsnx.jpg

This next photo is the slider window kit, it's just being held in place in the photo.

JLRetrofitKit2a_zpsgl8ecwam.jpg

Both the slider kit and the cargo hatch kit are designed to install in factory hardtops. A company has signed up for all of the above. The first production run of the JL slider windows has been done; the installation kit production is underway. The cargo hatch windows are in the prototype stage but use the same installation kit as the sliders so they're not expected to take long to get into production once the details of the prototype are finalized.

As for the "full-opening cargo hatch rear design" (I call it a "barn door"), if I had access to a JL/JLU it wouldn't take long to do the molds for it. Nothing has changed the usability of my Jeeps more than the barn door:

I'm new to the Jeep world, bought first one 3 weeks ago, (JLU 2021, 80th Anniversary), but have always been a fan. I've been on the lookout for the same Safari top for 4 months, as I planned to get the jeep and still haven't found anything for a JLU.

Got to say Jeff, what you created is really sexy- exactly what I had in my minds eye. If you every get a JLU version into production, please be certain to share, and if you decide to do custom one-off's, I can only imagine you'll have several of us lined up to purchase.

Thanks for sharing, envious of your skills-- look forward to getting one for myself at some point when available.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm new to the Jeep world, bought first one 3 weeks ago, (JLU 2021, 80th Anniversary), but have always been a fan. I've been on the lookout for the same Safari top for 4 months, as I planned to get the jeep and still haven't found anything for a JLU.

Got to say Jeff, what you created is really sexy- exactly what I had in my minds eye. If you every get a JLU version into production, please be certain to share, and if you decide to do custom one-off's, I can only imagine you'll have several of us lined up to purchase.

Thanks for sharing, envious of your skills-- look forward to getting one for myself at some point when available.
Thanks for the kind words.

The cargo windows and also slider window kits for the JL would have been on the market by now were it not for the pandemic. As of January the RV company that's doing the manufacturing had made the JK preproduction samples and had completed the frame for the JL cargo hatch windows and JL slider windows. When the pandemic hit they went to short staffing and had to put off all new product development until things got back to normal (which hasn't happened yet). A few of my other JL and Gladiator designs have made it into production during the pandemic but those aren't being manufactured by the RV window company.

Occasionally I do one-offs for friends, but I'm not in business and I don't sell anything, I'm just a Jeep hobbyist who enjoys designing new and useful things for Jeeps.

The slider windows and cargo hatch windows will be marketed by Retrofit Offroad (https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/), hopefully soon after things get back to normal. You can check in with them.

Sponsored

eric0231

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.speedprochicagoloop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Business owner
Thanks for the kind words.

The cargo windows and also slider window kits for the JL would have been on the market by now were it not for the pandemic. As of January the RV company that's doing the manufacturing had made the JK preproduction samples and had completed the frame for the JL cargo hatch windows and JL slider windows. When the pandemic hit they went to short staffing and had to put off all new product development until things got back to normal (which hasn't happened yet). A few of my other JL and Gladiator designs have made it into production during the pandemic but those aren't being manufactured by the RV window company.

Occasionally I do one-offs for friends, but I'm not in business and I don't sell anything, I'm just a Jeep hobbyist who enjoys designing new and useful things for Jeeps.

The slider windows and cargo hatch windows will be marketed by Retrofit Offroad (https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/), hopefully soon after things get back to normal. You can check in with them.

Thanks for the thoughtful response Jeff. Its actually the raised roof, safari design that piques my interest, the slider windows and barn door are mere afterthoughts (that I would never have had-- but love!). If you remember to post should one of your full safari tops does go into production-- I'd be most interested.

Till then, please keep sharing your creations. Stay healthy, be well.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the thoughtful response Jeff. Its actually the raised roof, safari design that piques my interest, the slider windows and barn door are mere afterthoughts (that I would never have had-- but love!). If you remember to post should one of your full safari tops does go into production-- I'd be most interested.

Till then, please keep sharing your creations. Stay healthy, be well.
If I had a JL I would be building a Safari Cab hardtop for it, but at this point I don't have any plans to replace any of my Jeeps with a JL.

I borrowed a JL and a Gladiator from the dealer earlier this year and did some storage designs, they're been picked up by Overland Outfitters and can be found on their site (https://www.overland-outfitters.com) and some are on Quadratec, here are a few:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/overland-outfitters/sherpa-saddle-bag-pair-wrangler-jl

https://www.quadratec.com/p/overland-outfitters/hd-molle-tailgate-panel-wrangler-jl

Those are just a few of the JL/JT designs I did recently, there are more.

It's easy to borrow a Jeep from the dealer to design products like those, I even used a JL from the dealer for the window designs, but I'm sure the dealer wouldn't let me borrow a JL long enough to do a full hardtop design :)

And for the record: I am not an employee of Overland Outfitters, Retrofit Offroad or Quadratec, I'm just design these things as a hobby and sometimes companies pick up my designs and bring them to market.

LaceyLeeLz

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tuscadero JLUR
Occupation
Longbeau Logistics O/O
If I had a JL I would be build...
So, more than two years later and with the pandemic being over, did you ever get your hands on a JLU for long enough to do the design for the Safari top? If not, I'll happily drive mine out from Chicago to Upstate NY and let you guinea pig mine for a couple of months! She's already scratched up and dirty from being used as a Jeep so you don't have to be "too" careful with it 😜 it has a hard top now btw.
Screenshot_20220708-203703_Snapchat.jpg

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other than continuing to do design work on the JLU Safari Cab hardtop I haven't started working on the molds for one because I don't have a JLU.

JLUSafari2.jpg

JLUSafari3.jpg

I don't plan to start work on the JL Safari Cab molds until either I get a JLU myself or a company wants me to build the molds so they can bring them to market. Most of my JL work over the past year or so has been fabric designs for Overland Outfitters and hardware designs for MORryde. Some of the fabric designs...

Door pockets to replace the horrible nets that stretch the first time you use them (Quadratec photo):

DoorPockets.jpg

Saddlebags (tan to match JL tan leather interior, OO also makes then in black):

JLRedRubiTanSaddlebag.jpg

Various roll bar storage and grab handles:

JLSkytopPocketBuddy2.jpg

JLJTFrontGrab.jpg

MOOG5050

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon XR
Other than continuing to do design work on the JLU Safari Cab hardtop I haven't started working on the molds for one because I don't have a JLU.

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Safari hard top for JL? JLJTFrontGrab

I don't plan to start work on the JL Safari Cab molds until either I get a JLU myself or a company wants me to build the molds so they can bring them to market. Most of my JL work over the past year or so has been fabric designs for Overland Outfitters and hardware designs for MORryde. Some of the fabric designs...

Door pockets to replace the horrible nets that stretch the first time you use them (Quadratec photo):

Saddlebags (tan to match JL tan leather interior, OO also makes then in black):

Various roll bar storage and grab handles:

Cool stuff. I have a JLUR and am in Victor. Still 1.5 hours but if you ever want measurements, pm me.
Sponsored