Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When I initially installed the Mopar hinge reinforcement along with the Teraflex HD carrier on my 2018 JLUR two weeks ago, when I first opened the tailgate after lifting the 37" tire, the gate noticeably dropped and scrapped along the top of my aftermarket bumper.

I then set about removing the tire, loosening all the bolts on the hinges and the carrier itself. I then squeezed a 1/4" piece of plywood that I had under the hinge side of the tailgate and the bumper. Once that was in place, I squeezed in two more pieces of plywood under the first piece and the bumper. This action caused the tailgate to noticeably lift on the hinge side. I then tightened and torqued all the bolts (I replaced the wimpy torx headed bolts with hex headed ones that I spray painted black).

When the big heavy tire was put back on the carrier and the tailgate opened, there was no drop, no scrape, and the tailgate latches easily.
Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
When I initially installed the Mopar hinge reinforcement along with the Teraflex HD carrier on my 2018 JLUR two weeks ago, when I first opened the tailgate after lifting the 37" tire, the gate noticeably dropped and scrapped along the top of my aftermarket bumper.

I then set about removing the tire, loosening all the bolts on the hinges and the carrier itself. I then squeezed a 1/4" piece of plywood that I had under the hinge side of the tailgate and the bumper. Once that was in place, I squeezed in two more pieces of plywood under the first piece and the bumper. This action caused the tailgate to noticeably lift on the hinge side. I then tightened and torqued all the bolts (I replaced the wimpy torx headed bolts with hex headed ones that I spray painted black).

When the big heavy tire was put back on the carrier and the tailgate opened, there was no drop, no scrape, and the tailgate latches easily.
I have been thinking about doing this with 1/8" flat bar, it is on my list of things to finish this week.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have been thinking about doing this with 1/8" flat bar, it is on my list of things to finish this week.
I tried using a pry bar, but could not get the tailgate to stay up lomg enought to tighten and torque the bolts. Trying using plywood or multiple layers of cardboard the length of the tailgate.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

This was my experience, exactly. Mopar hinge reinforcement and Teraflex HD. I used a ProEagle extension on an Arcan LXT2 floor Jack (my go-to combination) and a smal 4x4 to wedge the door in order to get the right bolt positioning. Running Dirty Life 9303 DT-1's and 40" Trail Grapplers (a heaving combination), my rear door opens and shuts easily, and it does great on the trails. Will it eventually give? Maybe. So far, I'm one year in with this combination and it's working extremely well.

I'll likely eventually cave and get a heavier duty kit, but there's not much in the way of compromise with this setup, at least not yet.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
So I received my carrier and found that I do not have the shims. Does anybody installed the carrier without those two shims?

8078628B-6259-46EE-A568-2C3B8E7254A9.png

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
So I received my carrier and found that I do not have the shims. Does anybody installed the carrier without those two shims?
Good to hear Shittybilt is still keeping up with their awesome quality control. Might give them a call to send you the missing parts. If not I may have a set laying around.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Good to hear Shittybilt is still keeping up with their awesome quality control. Might give them a call to send you the missing parts. If not I may have a set laying around.
Yea, called them this morning and they are going to send out a few to me lol. Thanks.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
May I ask if you know the material and thickness of the shims? I have access to my shop and I can make those myself if I can find out the thickness. Thank you.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
May I ask if you know the material and thickness of the shims? I have access to my shop and I can make those myself if I can find out the thickness. Thank you.
Just made it home. Material is steel at 1/16” thick.

14151D73-1BF8-44D0-B171-1B0EA1B55D16.jpeg

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
The installation went pretty smooth. Took around 4 hours to install on mind and my buddy’s. I do have to do some fine adjustment on mine today to make it prefect. I end up did not using any shims on both Jeep’s and it work just fine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt JL HD Pivot Tire Carrier (7743) - Install / Review / Comments 2DFE2E2E-E2E3-49C7-B600-929C6324E97B
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt JL HD Pivot Tire Carrier (7743) - Install / Review / Comments 9282AE43-AD1A-4D5A-86B5-AB665F09846C

Sponsored

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I need to go back and make an adjustment on mine. I've noticed when I'm out on the trail and going over bigger bumps, there's a rattle from the rod and catch from the locking mechanism. Almost seems like I didn't get it perfectly lined up. It probably would have benefited me to grab an extra set of hands to keep things in place but I did the best I could with painters tape holding everything.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I need to go back and make an adjustment on mine. I've noticed when I'm out on the trail and going over bigger bumps, there's a rattle from the rod and catch from the locking mechanism. Almost seems like I didn't get it perfectly lined up. It probably would have benefited me to grab an extra set of hands to keep things in place but I did the best I could with painters tape holding everything.
Same here, I have to do some fine adjustment on the lock as well. And now its dead silence :)

mudmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JlU Sport
Hey guys, just checking in. I was set on this carrier for a while as I like the entire hinge reinforcement it offers among other things. Recently, I’ve read some negative reviews about rattling, sagging, etc. For the guys who’ve had this for a while now, would you still recommend?

I’m going to be putting a 315 70r17 ko2 with 1 black rhino on the back, I really don’t look forward to dealing with any of the annoying issues I’ve heard about!

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, just checking in. I was set on this carrier for a while as I like the entire hinge reinforcement it offers among other things. Recently, I’ve read some negative reviews about rattling, sagging, etc. For the guys who’ve had this for a while now, would you still recommend?

I’m going to be putting a 315 70r17 ko2 with 1 black rhino on the back, I really don’t look forward to dealing with any of the annoying issues I’ve heard about!
Still have it on my jeep and no issues with it. Been offroad multiple times and I have no issues with rattling when I'm on the trail, if it's going to rattle, it'll rattle on the trail. Anyone complaining about rattling issues needs to make some adjustments. When I first installed my carrier it rattled a little and that's because my door wasn't perfectly lined up. Made a few adjustments and it's been solid.

Now I will say, I'm moving up to 40's with beadlocks in the future and when I do I'll probably move to a bumper mounted tire carrier because of the extra weight.
Sponsored