Smittybilt JL HD Pivot Tire Carrier (7743) - Install / Review / Comments

Hoozer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I was equally impressed with the packing. Nothing could be damaged the way it was packed.

I am picking up a Gen 2 XRC Front and Rear bumper and would LOVE to see this level of packing.
My XRC arrived and was barely holding together... lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
My XRC arrived and was barely holding together... lol
Did you get a Gen 1 or a Gen 2? Was the packaging bad? I got mine from 4 Wheel Parts, but I also picked mine up from one of their brick and mortars so it didn't have to ship.

tinyTinaTank

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
Been riding for a day with these.

- I stopped using the ParkSense sensors while using the SB Spare Tire Relocation Kit since the spare was in the way of the sensor. The adjustability of the SB Pivot Tire Carrier allows me to push up the spare just high enough that I don't have issues with sensors. Wife is happy that she gets that back
- I've intentionally hit a few potholes and it is rock solid back there. TX roads really do suck...LOL

Definitely pleased with the purchase.
I just installed the same Smittybilt carrier as you. Does the rear camera have a “fishbowl” effect from the mount it sits in. ?

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I just installed the same Smittybilt carrier as you. Does the rear camera have a “fishbowl” effect from the mount it sits in. ?
Disclaimer: Still have NOTHING good to say about Shittybilt and have avoided all their products because of my personal experience.

I went with the CavFab tire carrier. My setup has the “fishbowl” effect with some loss of visual field due to the bracket. Good trade off in my opinion to protect the camera off-road or even from stupid daily people.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The fishbowl effect is there, but IMO isn't bad. I posted a pic earlier in the thread. The camera cover is solid steel so it's going to protect it a lot more than the stock housing.

Sponsored

tinyTinaTank

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
The fishbowl effect is there, but IMO isn't bad. I posted a pic earlier in the thread. The camera cover is solid steel so it's going to protect it a lot more than the stock housing.
Yeah, I read all 11 pages and saw where some people received a short camera tube. Mine is the longer one. I reached out to Smittybilt and we shall see what happens. Guess I should read all the threads before post a question. But with every product some are happy and some are upset. Products will never have 100% satisfaction rate.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Yeah, I read all 11 pages and saw where some people received a short camera tube. Mine is the longer one. I reached out to Smittybilt and we shall see what happens. Guess I should read all the threads before post a question. But with every product some are happy and some are upset. Products will never have 100% satisfaction rate.
Agreed. But when poor quality control follows up with poor customer service things have a way of changing your opinion about a company.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
and unfortunately, customer service and the person you actually talk to will impact your impression of the company. I've had to call SB on a few occasions (I've got a few SB products [HD Pivot TC, Gen 2 XRC Front / Rear Bumper, Gen 3 XRC 12k winch]) and I've had stellar customer service.

I've also bought from 4 Wheel Parts which is local to me so any issues with the product, I also have that as an outlet. 4WP has gone out of their way to address any issues I've had with any product.

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered the tire carrier and got most of it installed this evening. I still have to wire up the third brake light and right now I'm not exactly which direction I want to go with that. I'm considering mounting it directly behind a cutout in my wheel but it'll be partially obstructed. I need to look into Texas motor vehicle laws and see if it says anything about any sort of obstruction with the third brake light. I know you're required to have one but I don't want to give officers an easy reason to pull me over.

The install was fairly straight forward. Directions could be a bit better but if you're mechanically inclined in the least bit, it'll be an easy install. I received the correct camera tube. No complaints so far. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered the tire carrier and got most of it installed this evening. I still have to wire up the third brake light and right now I'm not exactly which direction I want to go with that. I'm considering mounting it directly behind a cutout in my wheel but it'll be partially obstructed. I need to look into Texas motor vehicle laws and see if it says anything about any sort of obstruction with the third brake light. I know you're required to have one but I don't want to give officers an easy reason to pull me over.

The install was fairly straight forward. Directions could be a bit better but if you're mechanically inclined in the least bit, it'll be an easy install. I received the correct camera tube. No complaints so far. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.
I went with a spare tire halo. It was just easier from an installation perspective.

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
HVAC

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
Does anybody know how much the SB tire carrier weighs? I know there are some pro's/cons, but I'm still considering this as an options.

BTW, SB and a bunch of other companies are all owned by Transamerican Auto Parts, they own Polaris, 4Wheel Parts, ProComp, SB, G2 to name a few. So when you buying from 4Wheel Parts you pretty much buying from the source.

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody know how much the SB tire carrier weighs? I know there are some pro's/cons, but I'm still considering this as an options.

BTW, SB and a bunch of other companies are all owned by Transamerican Auto Parts, they own Polaris, 4Wheel Parts, ProComp, SB, G2 to name a few. So when you buying from 4Wheel Parts you pretty much buying from the source.
55 pounds or so.