Smittybilt JL HD Pivot Tire Carrier (7743) - Install / Review / Comments

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
OP thanks for posting this, it helped me make up my mind. I just ordered one from TH Motorsports.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
OP thanks for posting this, it helped me make up my mind. I just ordered one from TH Motorsports.
Youā€™re welcome. This forum has helped ME a lot on my journey. Iā€™m glad I can help a few on their journey.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Yeah finally got it off. I seem to always brake these little snap on tabs so I guess I was just being too cautious. Iā€™d be very well on my way to getting this back together, unfortunately Iā€™m stuck on the pivot assembly without the push in plugs that werenā€™t included. Pretty ticked off. Such a small part holding up my install. By the time I get any type of response Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be Monday afternoon. So guess looking at finishing the install next weekend. Unfortunate...was hoping to buy more stuff from them.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah finally got it off. I seem to always brake these little snap on tabs so I guess I was just being too cautious. Iā€™d be very well on my way to getting this back together, unfortunately Iā€™m stuck on the pivot assembly without the push in plugs that werenā€™t included. Pretty ticked off. Such a small part holding up my install. By the time I get any type of response Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be Monday afternoon. So guess looking at finishing the install next weekend. Unfortunate...was hoping to buy more stuff from them.
Check and double check the contents.

Sponsored

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Does this wiggle and move around at all. I need a spare tire carrier and ....... my tire and rim setup weights almost exactly 135 lbs.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Those of you with this installed, howā€™s your camera view on screen? From pics Iā€™ve seen it seems that the camera is recessed in the smittybilt tube and looks like the image may be eclipsed.
Thanks

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those of you with this installed, howā€™s your camera view on screen? From pics Iā€™ve seen it seems that the camera is recessed in the smittybilt tube and looks like the image may be eclipsed.
Thanks
I'll take a picture in the morning when I take the Jeep out.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does this wiggle and move around at all. I need a spare tire carrier and ....... my tire and rim setup weights almost exactly 135 lbs.
This does not wiggle or move around. There is a slight bounce on really deep pot holes (plenty of those in my area), but that should be expected as I would expect this of any hinge based solution.

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
@ExitLeft I spoke to SB yesterday. Pretty disappointed with their CS. 4-5 days to get it. No offer for the inconvenience. Not even a sorry at any point in the conversation for the mess up. Last SB item I order. In addition, as mentioned the instructions really leave a lot to be desired. I searched additional instructions online and two different installers recommended shimming or bracing the gate to support the tailgate. Iā€™m hoping I donā€™t have to make too many adjustments when I finally get to install the kit.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not the best picture as apparently I was facing the sun.
Youā€™ll notice my spare takes up a portion of the camera view. This is no different than from stock. I need to find another picture that shows stock camera view. What size spare and how deep it is will impact view.

View attachment 290746

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ughh. WTF. Itā€™s posting upside down on my phone. Iā€™ll repost when I get home

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ughh. WTF. Itā€™s posting upside down on my phone. Iā€™ll repost when I get home
No worries. Thanks I appreciate the pic. I rotated it myself to view it. I can see that it's your wheel/tire that's causing the obstruction of view. That can't be helped unless you increase the distance the camera pokes out. Since it's reusing the OEM mount you'd need another camera mount entirely.

I currently have 285/75-17 (34") tires mounted on 17x8.5" wheels with 5.2" Backspacing. Hope to go to 37s in the future when I eventually lift it.
I purchased this tire carrier from CJ Pony Parts. Got it for $475 with a 10% coupon I found online. It arrived yesterday so I hope to have it installed this weekend if I can find the time.

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine was just delivered. Iā€™ve got to say, this is the best packing job Iā€™ve received on anything like this. I need to verify all my hardware is there before attempting the install this weekend.

E6C7A688-8324-4157-8498-76E7D057AD4E.jpeg
54C5E0F0-B54A-4CA2-B6D9-0994405EE696.jpeg
31A6C9AB-7359-49A4-82CF-E2D76CF67A1F.jpeg
Sponsored