NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
The big question is: do you feel it’s doing a good job of support the wheel and tailgate? Is the hinge reinforcement really working?
I’ve had it on ONE day!!! Not sure anyone would be able to make that determination.
That said, this could potentially address droop of the tailgate. We’re all gonna need time to determine if this is a better solution. I will continue to provide feedback to this thread.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up this exact hinge kit. Will be watching yours as it progresses.

On another note I ordered my kit from cjponyparts friday...ended up having a fraudulent charge on my card today. smh.
when will you be installing?

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
when will you be installing?
Not sure. Waiting on a shipment notification. Hopefully by next week. Will post pics and progress as well. Price was ultimately my reason for getting the SB carrier. Came in at under 5 bills.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got a PM, but I'll answer it here. Purpose of the forum is for all to learn.

- I was looking at this hinge as well and was concerned about the 135 pound load max.
This seems to be the theoretical max of any hinge based solution. Not sure where they got the number, but remember that the number involves lawyers and is likely WELL below what most will experience real world.

- Is the closing of your gate smooth as it was with stock tire setup, or is there a slight misalignment with the weight of the 37 spare?
To be clear, even with just the Smittybilt Relocation Bracket, I didn't experience any issues with misalignment of the tailgate. Opening and closing was still very smooth. With THIS setup, I've not encountered any issues that are immediately evident. The weight of the spare is completely supported all the way to the hinge by the SB tire carrier (unlike the relocation bracket where no real additional support is provided).

The weight of a 37" spare is likely to run the gamut depending on who you talk to. I think mine is around 120 (TBH, I've never weighed it, but is based on what I know of the wheel and the tire). Every wheel / tire combo is going to be different. How much stress is applied to the TC will vary from person to person. It WILL depend on your setup. a 37" MT tire with a 17" beadlock will weigh significantly more than a 37" AT on a basic 17" wheel.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure. Waiting on a shipment notification. Hopefully by next week. Will post pics and progress as well. Price was ultimately my reason for getting the SB carrier. Came in at under 5 bills.
I'll be honest in that PRICE was the number one reason I went with this solution. In addition, this is a national company that is producing in bulk (well, at least relative to smaller mom & pop shops). If there is an issue with this product, they will stand by it. In addition, this was purchased from 4 Wheel Parts and they will stand behind their sales.

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I'll be honest in that PRICE was the number one reason I went with this solution. In addition, this is a national company that is producing in bulk (well, at least relative to smaller mom & pop shops). If there is an issue with this product, they will stand by it. In addition, this was purchased from 4 Wheel Parts and they will stand behind their sales.
Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Kit is $499 as well, or without the tire relocation bracket it's $399 ... this is the other solution I'm looking at. However it has no accommodations for CB or Hi-Lift / Roto-Pac mounts.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Kit is $499 as well, or without the tire relocation bracket it's $399 ... this is the other solution I'm looking at. However it has no accommodations for CB or Hi-Lift / Roto-Pac mounts.
The RR is an option. What I didn’t like
- reused stock carrier set up. The SB (and many others) did a new carrier with a steel setup
- we don’t know if the hinge reinforcement bracket is going to do anything, but the added stability is something I want (but did not know it existed till I picked up this last weekend)

RR of late has had some solid products. I’ve not heard a lot about it and it really wasn’t on my radar.

I’m not a fan of hi-lifts. I’m also not a fan of CBs. So these aren’t really considerations for me.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
The RR is an option. What I didn’t like
- reused stock carrier set up. The SB (and many others) did a new carrier with a steel setup
- we don’t know if the hinge reinforcement bracket is going to do anything, but the added stability is something I want (but did not know it existed till I picked up this last weekend)

RR of late has had some solid products. I’ve not heard a lot about it and it really wasn’t on my radar.

I’m not a fan of hi-lifts. I’m also not a fan of CBs. So these aren’t really considerations for me.
The SB is actually a monoblock aluminum casting, just like RR.
The RR is a total replacement not just a reinforcement.
The SB does have that nice bracket to reinforce the 6 bolt location, so that is a plus!

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The SB is actually a monoblock aluminum casting, just like RR.
The RR is a total replacement not just a reinforcement.
The SB does have that nice bracket to reinforce the 6 bolt location, so that is a plus!
The RR won’t have the level of adjustment that the SB will have since it re-uses the wheel mount. But for the price, it should be considered an option.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Been riding for a day with these.

- I stopped using the ParkSense sensors while using the SB Spare Tire Relocation Kit since the spare was in the way of the sensor. The adjustability of the SB Pivot Tire Carrier allows me to push up the spare just high enough that I don't have issues with sensors. Wife is happy that she gets that back
- I've intentionally hit a few potholes and it is rock solid back there. TX roads really do suck...LOL

Definitely pleased with the purchase.

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I coulda sworn the SB had a provision for a CB antenna...

a hi lift type jack can also be added with a bracket. So it is doable per their description.

Question: Does the additional spare tire relocation bracket need to be ordered or is this included with the reinforcement kit? I’m planning to mount a 37 on the tail end.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I coulda sworn the SB had a provision for a CB antenna...

a hi lift type jack can also be added with a bracket. So it is doable per their description.

Question: Does the additional spare tire relocation bracket need to be ordered or is this included with the reinforcement kit? I’m planning to mount a 37 on the tail end.
The SB HD Pivot TC does have capabilities for CB or any antenna and it has what looks to be mountings for a hi-lift or other accessories on the right side of spare.

This is a complete solution for a 37’. I am running a 37 (see sig block). It has the hinge reinforcement bracket. It also has the adjustable (up / down and in / out) wheel housing assembly.

The spare tire relocation kit is what I ran BEFORE I purchased this solution. You won’t need it after you install this solution.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
The SB HD Pivot TC does have capabilities for CB or any antenna and it has what looks to be mountings for a hi-lift or other accessories on the right side of spare.

This is a complete solution for a 37’. I am running a 37 (see sig block). It has the hinge reinforcement bracket. It also has the adjustable (up / down and in / out) wheel housing assembly.

The spare tire relocation kit is what I ran BEFORE I purchased this solution. You won’t need it after you install this solution.
Hey Tom

looks good. If backup sensors not a concern do you think you could lower 37 to allow additional viewing out back window? Also not sure I see where tire bump stops are mounted? Would like to see side shot pic of how far yours is sticking out.

thanks for the write up. Definitely gives me another option to look at.

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Tom

looks good. If backup sensors not a concern do you think you could lower 37 to allow additional viewing out back window? Also not sure I see where tire bump stops are mounted? Would like to see side shot pic of how far yours is sticking out.

thanks for the write up. Definitely gives me another option to look at.
There are NO bump stops. Wife took her Jeep back :LOL: so I'll have to take some pics when she gets home tonight. I can definitely get a side shot. But TBH, with a 37" tire hanging off your back, you won't be able to see anything. I could lower 1.5" and it won't help any.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
There are NO bump stops. Wife took her Jeep back :LOL: so I'll have to take some pics when she gets home tonight. I can definitely get a side shot. But TBH, with a 37" tire hanging off your back, you won't be able to see anything. I could lower 1.5" and it won't help any.
So no bump stops needed? No rush on pics. I hear ya with 37 hanging back there on visibility. That is why I considered not doing a spare. Doesn’t bother me to utilize mirrors but my wife is like “WTF - Why did you have to put such big tires on” :LOL:
Sponsored