Sponsored

Smittybilt Gen2 X20 Comp 12K with Factory Steel Bumper?

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019 - Granite Crystal Grey
Hello all,

After much research - within my budget - I have decided on the Smittybilt Gen2 X20 Comp (Synthetic rope) 12,000# winch.

I ordered the factory steel bumper for my JLUR - hopefully the Jeep will be delivered in the next couple of weeks...

In the meantime, anyone have this exact setup? If so, what exactly does "winch ready" mean? Do I still need a winch plate, or am I good to go? What other considerations or issues did you encounter?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20190112-221857_Chrome.jpg

Plate options appear to be:
-MOPAR
-ATP
-RUSTY'S
-WARN
-JL Rugged Ridge

UPDATE:
Went with the ATP plate and the whole installation process was very easy and the winch itself fit like a glove. Pictures attached and will add some more tomorrow

If you want to keep the Mopar Factory Steel Bumper AND like the Smittybilt X20 series winch the ATP plate is the way to go!

Let me know if you have any questions!

20190227_070257.jpg

20190223_113938.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I don’t have that winch but you’ll for sure need a winch plate. The factory steel doesn’t have one.

OP
OP
Soon2beJeepingPA

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have that winch but you’ll for sure need a winch plate. The factory steel doesn’t have one.
Thank you. I thought that was the likeliest case.

"Winch ready" probably means they have a designated space for the winch and some consideration for mounting hardware, fairlead, etc...

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Thank you. I thought that was the likeliest case.

"Winch ready" probably means they have a designated space for the winch and some consideration for mounting hardware, fairlead, etc...
Yes. Exactly correct. Lots of companies sell the winch plates. Kinda sucks it doesn’t come with one but I guess it’s kinda common on aftermarket bumpers too.

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hello all,

After much research - within my budget - I have decided on the Smittybilt Gen2 X20 Comp (Synthetic rope) 12,000# winch.

I ordered the factory steel bumper for my JLUR - hopefully the Jeep will be delivered in the next couple of weeks...

In the meantime, anyone have this exact setup? If so, what exactly does "winch ready" mean? Do I still need a winch plate, or am I good to go? What other considerations or issues did you encounter?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20190112-221857_Chrome.jpg

Plate options appear to be:
-MOPAR
-ATP
-RUSTY'S
-WARN
-JL Rugged Ridge
Once this is installed please provide an update on the winch as i have been looking at same one for sometime and a couple of others... I just want a good winch without breaking the bank and would like to get an idea on the quality, wireless function, ease of install, etc...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Soon2beJeepingPA

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once this is installed please provide an update on the winch as i have been looking at same one for sometime and a couple of others... I just want a good winch without breaking the bank and would like to get an idea on the quality, wireless function, ease of install, etc...
Will gladly keep you posted and provide a summary and pictures. My Jeep is a few weeks out (built) but I am getting the winch today, per UPS.

Foolish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D, 2019 2D Jeep Wrangler Rubicons
We installed this same winch last weekend. The 2019 directions we had weren't for the 2019 :headbang: but it went in without too much spousal drama. We didn't realize we needed a winch plate so that is on order now. Actually one of the easiest car mod we've ever done. Just make sure to have an 18mm deep socket.

OP
OP
Soon2beJeepingPA

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We installed this same winch last weekend. The 2019 directions we had weren't for the 2019 :headbang: but it went in without too much spousal drama. We didn't realize we needed a winch plate so that is on order now. Actually one of the easiest car mod we've ever done. Just make sure to have an 18mm deep socket.
Thanks for the input. What winch plate did you go with?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Questions - Does your steel bumper come with the skid plate? Does it have the RivNuts that are required for the skid plate? I ask because some wench plates use those Rivnuts for mounting. The Warn wench plate I used on my JLU Sport required those RivNuts be in place.

So make sure you've got the RivNuts. If you don't search for Rivnuts on the forum and you'll find exactly what you need, along with the part number. They should cost about $2-3 a nut. Be sure to go look at videos that show how to install RivNuts. If you do it wrong, you can strip them out and then you'll have to drill them out to replace them. So make sure you're getting it right.

I'm using both the Warn wench plate and the X20 10K lbs wench. I ordered is this one:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/warn-jl-rubicon-oe-winch-carrier-101255/_/R-BCSQ-101255

Foolish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D, 2019 2D Jeep Wrangler Rubicons

Sponsored

OP
OP
Soon2beJeepingPA

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Questions - Does your steel bumper come with the skid plate? Does it have the RivNuts that are required for the skid plate? I ask because some wench plates use those Rivnuts for mounting. The Warn wench plate I used on my JLU Sport required those RivNuts be in place.

So make sure you've got the RivNuts. If you don't search for Rivnuts on the forum and you'll find exactly what you need, along with the part number. They should cost about $2-3 a nut. Be sure to go look at videos that show how to install RivNuts. If you do it wrong, you can strip them out and then you'll have to drill them out to replace them. So make sure you're getting it right.

I'm using both the Warn wench plate and the X20 10K lbs wench. I ordered is this one:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/warn-jl-rubicon-oe-winch-carrier-101255/_/R-BCSQ-101255
Appreciate the thoughtful response and suggestions. The factory steel bumper does not come with a winch plate do I will definitely need to buy one.

I will also look into your Rivnuts suggestion.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Soon2beJeepingPA

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winch plate and winch installed. Easy, frustration-free process. Definitely recommend this three piece combination!

slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Winch plate and winch installed. Easy, frustration-free process. Definitely recommend this three piece combination!
Question, wanting to verify before I purchase. You used the ATP JL winch plate for the stock steel rubi bumper correct? Any mods at all? I just ordered the 10K smittybilt X20. Thanks!

OP
OP
Soon2beJeepingPA

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question, wanting to verify before I purchase. You used the ATP JL winch plate for the stock steel rubi bumper correct? Any mods at all? I just ordered the 10K smittybilt X20. Thanks!
No modifications needed or required. Stock ATP winch plate to stock Mopar Factory Steel Bumper. Only difference will be that I went with the 12k Smittybilt X20 winch.

Enjoy!

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Thank you for this! I have been super confused at how to mount a winch on my new Jeep. This thread helped a ton and I'm going to get the same setup you have.
Sponsored