Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Figured I’d post up my 4xe’s newest Christmas present since there isn’t too awful much info about it out there.

As others have stated in multiple other threads, Smittybilt SRC Sliders are fairly reliable off road as long as you aren’t hard core rock crawling. My issue with them personally is they look terrible and the design is pretty meh for clearance. Enter the Apollo’s.

I had read a small number of reviews stating that the cover plates and hardware left a lot to be desired but otherwise very solid overall. What I hadn’t seen/read anywhere is how they hold up to impacts/trail use. I figured it was worth the gamble to see just how worthy they are (if at all) considering the SRC is a step down and actually is proven to handle a fair amount of abuse.

Anyway, enough with the rationalizations. Here’s what you need to know from my unboxing/install experience:

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps B0F4AE00-43F3-403E-BBF3-E2ECC26C2126

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps B91C2205-162A-4CF9-A18D-BAEF1EF3AF19

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps E311E1B6-599A-4961-BEF7-193214019445

Packaging isn’t terrible. It’s actually pretty damn good considering how it all fits together.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps 7A12C6B0-8C5E-40FF-90E8-F27698326E39

Something I want to draw attention to here is the fact that they actually give a damn enough to verify the parts in your order prior to finally packaging. Not too many companies these days going to this level of trouble to ensure a customer having a hassle free install.

Depending on if you have Rubicon rails or something else installed (or nothing) you’ll obviously remove those first (stock Rubi rails have 10mm and 13mm nuts and bolts holding them up. Stupid easy to remove).
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps 6D5EF494-55D3-43F3-95FE-92BFC23222A6

what you’re seeing here is 1 of 4 mounting points that use the factory body mounts. Not the primary bolt but the secondary ones with 16mm nuts to secure them. The aft and center mounting points are like this on both sides. The forward mounts use supplied hardware plates, spacers, nut plates, and 3/4 inch bolts with washers. Very simple to figure out overall.

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps AAE44B8F-D8FA-4339-936A-01063B58BA52

This right here was obnoxious to say the least. I had no desire to mess with cutting up stock parts and hardware. So I came up with my own solution.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps D93E0ABA-CD96-44AE-AA2B-7E79BC36F2E0

Yes. I sandwiched it all. And it worked perfectly. Spacers and all. It’s not perfect but it beats screwing with everything and cutting shit up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps 965DD4DD-657A-4F2C-826A-08D1649A931F

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps 3094E806-9B3A-4911-8C93-B835F29AA469

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps 95BCC0CB-E302-4760-81D2-B450831A3B37

Here’s the final results. I’m very pleased and happy with them. Definitely need to repaint the plates (blue? Green?) and replace the hardware for them with stainless stuff. Quick note about the plate hardware, it’s cheap trash and it’s not very tight when you receive everything. I ran them all in with my impact drill and appropriate bits (not going anywhere now unless I want them to that’s for damn sure).

Here’s where I’m gonna have to put an asterisk in my post; I’m deploying at the end of the month and won’t be back for a few months. In other words, the off road review is gonna have to wait until late spring/early summer. Aside from that, I’m happy with them and they are very sturdy. My wife is 5’4” on a good day and thinks it’s much easier to get in the Jeep now than before (until I lift of course, then I’ll probably hear it all over again lol).
Sponsored

OP
OP
DewHawk

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
So just a quick update;
I ended up pulling the plates off to respray them. The silver was bugging me and it wasn’t exactly the greatest quality for durability sake.
As suspected, the plate hardware is absolute trash. I managed to destroy something like 10 out of the 60 total screws thanks to garbage quality. Replaced all of it with 304 grade stainless and can already tell the difference. Shouldn’t ever have any rust issues now.
As far as respray, I took a page out of another 4xe owners book and used Rustoleum Maui Blue after some sanding with 80 grit (definitely use 100-120 instead, 80 is a little overkill unless you don’t mind a couple extra coats or primer/paint). I’m pretty pleased with the outcome.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps D4162F85-669D-4A5A-93A2-69ECCAF7A063

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps F55C63BF-6566-4D2A-B53C-E8E425C6B9D9

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps 9A5383C7-FB45-4837-9684-C086B110FC5D

Looking forward to putting them through their paces next year. It’ll be a trial by fire in MOAB to make sure everyone that’s even remotely interested is getting the no BS verdict on them.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I’ve got the SRC’s on my Rubicon. I can assure you that they don’t hang any lower than the frame, nor do they stick out any further than the fenders. I’m not sure how they’d be “meh” for clearance as far as any step/slider goes. I can attest that they’ve held up to a fair amount of abuse. The finish is gone off of the bottom, but I’ve yet to dent or bend them.

Reactions: LCW
OP
OP
DewHawk

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
I’ve got the SRC’s on my Rubicon. I can assure you that they don’t hang any lower than the frame, nor do they stick out any further than the fenders. I’m not sure how they’d be “meh” for clearance as far as any step/slider goes. I can attest that they’ve held up to a fair amount of abuse. The finish is gone off of the bottom, but I’ve yet to dent or bend them.
Again, as stated in my OP, my personal preference/belief based on what I’ve seen. I like the Apollo design better and feel that it is an improvement over the SRC design. I’m not disputing the fact that the SRC’s are proven and work, just not my cup of tea.

OP
OP
DewHawk

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
So it’s been a hot minute since I’ve updated this, but I wanted to give my impressions on these sliders since finally taking them on the trails in Moab. Keep in mind I’m now also on an AEV spacer lift with 37’s.

How are they holding up visually?: Well the coating hasn’t come off and I haven’t got any rust to speak of. I really think replacing the stainless hardware on the decorative plates helped a bunch.

Have they taken any abuse?: Up till today, I still hadn’t managed to really ding/dent/scratch them into any obstacles or rocks. I finally had my first major impact on the drivers side today that sounded like I might’ve banged them up pretty good. To my surprise, I only managed to hit one of the support beams going to the frame and all it did was scuff the coating off. Not really damage if you ask me. It’s not even photo worthy because people are gonna start asking if I even wheel my jeep. :CWL:

Are they worth it?: Absolutely. They are still functional as a step which helps my short wife get in relatively easily even with the lift and 37’s. They still look bad ass too. I get tons of compliments on them everywhere I go.

Final thoughts: If you’re on the fence about these sliders or SB’s other version (SRC), don’t even second guess them. These are great for the money and unless you plan on purposely grinding your rig around a rock or a rock ledge to clear an obstacle on them, I highly recommend them (even then I’d probably still consider them). 8/10 for being a bad ass step/slider option. I would rate them higher but they’re not a dedicated solid piece of metal like most of the hardcore sliders are and the cheap ass “stainless” hardware they send with the plates is absolute junk that can be replaced for low cost. It’s just obnoxious they don’t come with better hardware straight from the factory.

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps FE4EF2CE-E33F-49A0-8ED3-5DD4C9B1E8A7

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Apollo Slider/Steps 183A1ED7-EF58-4BA2-BE05-A54E72D8F623
Sponsored