Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
SmartStopStart has been confirmed to be compatible with all 2018 through 2023 JL models and engines except the 4xe.

SmartStopStart is a popular and easy to install Engine Stop Start (ESS) memory module that always restores your last setting for the ESS override button.

Built to rugged automotive quality standards, It has been proven solid and reliable for over 5 years on the market. It has NO side effects and it does not bypass the security devices built into your Jeep like many other solutions. Our product works first time and every time.

90 day money back guarantee, 3 year warranty and free shipping.

We are a long-time JLWranglerforums sponsor.

See it at https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html
Sponsored

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just installed mine the other day. Nice clean installation. Looks factory. I am doubtful I will ever remove it even if it goes for warranty service. Arrived in a couple of days. Really happy with it. I just leave the ESS off. Saves more wear and tear than any fuel savings we would ever get. Now If I drove this thing in a major city where you sit idle for long periods of time, thats another story. Not so much for us in Phoenix. Thank you Steve for an awesome product!

Captain Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2023 Jeep Willys
I just installed mine the other day. Nice clean installation. Looks factory. I am doubtful I will ever remove it even if it goes for warranty service. Arrived in a couple of days. Really happy with it. I just leave the ESS off. Saves more wear and tear than any fuel savings we would ever get. Now If I drove this thing in a major city where you sit idle for long periods of time, thats another story. Not so much for us in Phoenix. Thank you Steve for an awesome product!
+1 on this reply.

I installed mine tonight and everything went smoothly. Reaching the plug under the dash requires a body contortion so I ended up doing it by feel. So glad I don’t need to deal with the idiotic ESS crap now.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
+1 on this reply.

I installed mine tonight and everything went smoothly. Reaching the plug under the dash requires a body contortion so I ended up doing it by feel. So glad I don’t need to deal with the idiotic ESS crap now.
@Captain Tuttle

Do, remove the SmartStopStart unit before any Jeep dealership Service Dept. visit. Remember to reconnect the 2 cables back at the security gateway when you remove the SSS.

Wise more going with the SmartStopStart versus one of the knockoff offerings.

izolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLR 3.6L V6 6sp
@Captain Tuttle

Do, remove the SmartStopStart unit before any Jeep dealership Service Dept. visit. Remember to reconnect the 2 cables back at the security gateway when you remove the SSS.

Wise more going with the SmartStopStart versus one of the knockoff offerings.
Is there a good reason to disconnect before a dealership service visit? I thought this installs unobtrusively.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a good reason to disconnect before a dealership service visit? I thought this installs unobtrusively.
@izolate

Well, the SmartStopStart unit (SSS) installs at the Security Gateway and by design, it does change the typical behavior of ESS..

The SSS, may provoke concern/condemnation by a Tech that is not familiar with the SmartStopStart .... and thinks it is a programmer which it is not.

Depending on the Service Department, staff seeing something connected to the Security Gateway can open up a whole can of beans so to speak.

Anyway, the SmartStopStart, especially when installed in conjunction with a security gateway extension is very easy to remove before a Service Dept. visit... so, why risk confrontation... just remove it prior to a Service Dept visit is the wise move.

@SmartStopStart.com says:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-should-have-been-designed.13946/post-346565

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
@izolate

Well, the SmartStopStart unit (SSS) installs at the Security Gateway and by design, it does change the typical behavior of ESS..

The SSS, may provoke concern/condemnation by a Tech that is not familiar with the SmartStopStart .... and thinks it is a programmer which it is not.

Depending on the Service Department, staff seeing something connected to the Security Gateway can open up a whole can of beans so to speak.

Anyway, the SmartStopStart, especially when installed in conjunction with a security gateway extension is very easy to remove before a Service Dept. visit... so, why risk confrontation... just remove it prior to a Service Dept visit is the wise move.

@SmartStopStart.com says:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-should-have-been-designed.13946/post-346565
I installed one and unless I'm confused, it had nothing to do with OBD II or the Security Gateway. All it does is plug into the wiring connector for the ESS button and simulate a button press. It doesn't touch OBD II or the Security Gateway at all.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@izolate

Just noticed that you reside in Buffalo, NY it seems.

Do know that when you go for New York State Inspection at a place other then a Jeep dealership, don't bother removing the SmartStopStart unit.

Having the SSS installed does not cause any issues with the computer that the tech hooks up to and relays info to NYS with.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed one and unless I'm confused, it had nothing to do with OBD II or the Security Gateway. All it does is plug into the wiring connector for the ESS button and simulate a button press. It doesn't touch OBD II or the Security Gateway at all.
@azwjowner

You are mistaken ...The SmartStopStart unit does in fact plug into the Security Gateway.

No, it does not plug into the OBD ll port.

Note: I am not affiliated with nor do I speak for @SmartStopStart.com . I am just a very happy long time user (3+ years) of the SSS.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@azwjowner

You are mistaken ...The SmartStopStart unit does in fact plug into the Security Gateway.

No, it does not plug into the OBD ll port.

Note: I am not affiliated with nor do I speak for @SmartStopStart.com . I am just a very happy long time user (3+ years) of the SSS.
Yes, I see that I was wrong now that I look at the installation instructions and compare the photos. This whole time I thought it worked differently. It takes a little bit of my enthusiasm for the product away. Actually, it makes me wonder why someone doesn't make one that does plug into the connector that feeds the button switch and just simulates a button press on startup.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Actually, it makes me wonder why someone doesn't make one that does plug into the connector that feeds the button switch and just simulates a button press on startup.
This approach is not feasible because the switch is built directly into (soldered into) a computer module on the Wrangler JL and is not accessible with a connector.

Our product actually does simulate a button press, it just does it via one of the CAN bus networks in the vehicle.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This approach is not feasible because the switch is built directly into (soldered into) a computer module on the Wrangler JL and is not accessible with a connector.
Aha. Thanks for the explanation. Seems yours is the best way then.
Sponsored