Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have been running mine for weeks and really like the simplicity of it, remove one plug from the SGW and slip this lite treasure in between and your done, no trying to remember what buttons to push as it’s truly “Plug and Play”
Sponsored

voland

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS M6
Vehicle Showcase
Just had it installed. Takes 5-10 min max. Saves a lot of aggravation from random engine restarts. This option should have been given to us from the factory. I turn the engine off myself at railroad intersections, while waiting to pick up kids, etc. to reduce unnecessary idle time. However, I do not need the car to make this decision for me.

Reminds me... on my other vehicle, Chevy SS, with manual transmission, some genius decided that it is a good idea to put in a solenoid that prevents shifting from 1st to 2nd and force shifting into 4th, under certain acceleration conditions. I guess it is supposed to achieve better MPG. Now imagine, you are trying to perform 1-2 shift when accelerating, but the car says "no" and blocks the shift. Luckily there was also a bypass device for that.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is there any way to activate the stop action of the ESS with a push of a button?

For example when I'm in a drive thru and go up a little bit and I want to stop the engine is there a way to push a button to stop the engine? Or for instance when stopped at a long red light and want to kill the engine could I just push a button to activate the stop part of the ESS?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just had it installed. Takes 5-10 min max. Saves a lot of aggravation from random engine restarts. This option should have been given to us from the factory. I turn the engine off myself at railroad intersections, while waiting to pick up kids, etc. to reduce unnecessary idle time. However, I do not need the car to make this decision for me.

Reminds me... on my other vehicle, Chevy SS, with manual transmission, some genius decided that it is a good idea to put in a solenoid that prevents shifting from 1st to 2nd and force shifting into 4th, under certain acceleration conditions. I guess it is supposed to achieve better MPG. Now imagine, you are trying to perform 1-2 shift when accelerating, but the car says "no" and blocks the shift. Luckily there was also a bypass device for that.
@voland

SO, are you enjoying your SmartStopStart......... Indeed, it is terrific!

I'm sure you have found as I and many other's have, that the SmartStopStart does the job and never ever lets say stumbles. It works flawlessly on the 2018 and 2019 Wrangler JL.... 3.6 and 2.0.

smartstopstart.jpg

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is running strong with no issues at all.....can’t say enough how simple this is it’s truly plug and play

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I like the START STOP

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that have installed or will be installing a SmartStopStart..

Today, I took my 2018 JL into a local, licensed, New York State DMV Vehicle Inspection Shop/Center, for it's yearly vehicle inspection.

Required is that the shop attach a computer to the vehicle that communicates with NYS DMV.

The computer attaches, using a cable that plugs into your vehicle's OBDll port.

Long story short, even though the SmartStopStart was attached at the gateway that is inline with the OBDll port, the shop's computer had no issues communicating with my JL, via the OBDll port.

I should add.... I reached out to Steve @SmartStopStart.com prior to taking my JL in for the vehicle inspection.

I was quite confident that there would be no issue with communication between my JL, with the SmartStopStart connected and the shops computer.... but I wanted Steve, to concur with my belief.

Steve was quick to reply to my query. As always, Steve was more then willing and quite enthusiastic, in regard to answering questions and concerns in regard to his terrific product offering.

--
Note: IF you go to a Jeep Dealership for your State Inspection or just for routine work on your JL, DO, again, do remove the SmartStopStart from your JL.

WOW, what a terrific product offering, the SmartStopStart is!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have pretty much forgotten mine is installed

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
+1 Very satisfied customer. Great product.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I have had the SmartStopStart installed on my 2018, 3.6 JL, since 12/19/18 .... so, it's been installed for close to 4 months now. I have driven over 8,000 miles with the SmartStopStart, on my JL.

Not once in over 8,000 miles of using the SmartStopStart, has it glitched/hiccuped .... failed to do as advertised.

You install and forget that it is even installed... Such a terrific offering! $ well spent...

beammmer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL two-door, 2017 X5, 1973 2002
Just installed the SmartStopStart today, I haven't driven the Jeep yet. Installation was super simple and in the driveway it works as promoted.

SmartStopStart is worth every penny.

To me it is unsettling when the motor "dies" while at a stop light, especially after sitting there for a bit in neutral and the clutch pushed in, then releasing the clutch while still in neutral and the engine "dies".

My '17 X5 has an on/off switch for the auto start, the auto start has been off since owned.

Don

Edit: Just drove around town doing stuff, hit many traffic lights, SmartStopStart worked flawlessly.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
'SmartStopStart is ESS the way it should have been designed'
I'm fairly certain that ESS was designed exactly the way it should have been: as a non-latching circuit to meet CAFE requirements. The designer is not to blame here, they are just playing the game that the NHTSA came up with.

Your slogan should be: "Screw NHTSA, I want my motor to idle"
Sponsored