Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
So does it void warranty for sure? Would you have to take it off every time you visit the dealership?
Unlike programmer type products, the dealer's diagnostic computer will still function normally with SmartStopStart installed because the Security Gateway is NOT bypassed and the OBDII port is open.

A technician though could still see the product under the dash or notice the change in behavior of ESS.

In the US, the Magnussen-Moss warranty act protects your right to install aftermarket equipment without affecting your warranty unless the equipment is causing the warranty problem. However it is still best to best to play it as safe as possible regarding your warranty and remove the product when going in for dealer service.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
Mine came in Yesterday. Fast delivery. Installed it this morning. Remote start works, no light on dash. And the ESS works lol it should have from the factory. So glad I don’t have to remember to push that damn button any more.

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I received the device yesterday. The instructions look simple enough for your average software developer (me).

I wish it did not require the ODB II socket, but I suppose I can get a "Y" adapter. My GPS tracker also plugs into the ODB II bus. It is passive, not active.

Any reports of problems with Y-adapters?
Any OBDII Y-Adapter will work for the '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo/Altitude SmartStopStart model.

Since this thread is primarily about the Jeep Wrangler JL model I want to make it clear that the Wrangler JL SmartStopStart model DOES NOT use the OBDII port.

Phredog

First Name
Phred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Any OBDII Y-Adapter will work for the '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo/Altitude SmartStopStart model.

Since this thread is primarily about the Jeep Wrangler JL model I want to make it clear that the Wrangler JL SmartStopStart model DOES NOT use the OBDII port.
The install was cake. I have big clumsy hands, and I am far sighted, so if I can do it, anyone can. I park in an underground garage (dark), so I did the install using a Mag lite to see what I was doing, and it still took less than 10 min. : )

It worked without an issue. I love having no more Start/Stop confusing my wife who is working on getting her drivers license. I can re-connect the hood sensor now, and will no longer have to look at the warning message on my instrument panel.

Yes, I have a 2018 Grand Cherokee Laredo, so I had to use my ODBII port. I ordered a Y cable from Amazon so I can still use my portable hot spot/GPS/vehicle monitor that also uses the ODBII port.

Last edited:

Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
Install - Instructions are clear and easy to follow and it is a little tight getting to the wires under the dash just as the instructions say. I did add removing the center panel underneath the steering column. Don't worry it pops off real easy and goes back on just as easy as it came off. I installed the unit just as the instructions said but did make a slight modification. After using the provided Velcro to attach the module to the metal crossbar I also ran a plastic zip-tie around it as I just wanted it a little more secure. Probably not necessary but made me feel better.
How did you remove this panel? I feel like I am going to break the tabs. Having a hell of a time installing this product...two failed attempts.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Ape

The plastic panel, right below the steering column, that you remove is very easy to get off.

Start on upper left of panel. Just place your fingers behind the 2" wide part of the panel and pull straight out. After that one is pulled loose, do the same for the other side. After this with two hands, work your fingers down both sides of the plastic panel and pull the lower part straight out. It really comes off easily.

The fastening clips are stout and aren't going to break.

To get the panel back on, just align the panel and push it back on.

You can use a trim tool in the removal but it is not a must have.

Reactions: Ape

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 i actually used the panel tools at first but once I finally figured out the connectors on the SGW module I don’t even remove it anymore, the connectors pop out very easily, It literally took me less than 10 mins to put my Tazer in and get it remarried so taking putting it in and out now is a non issue

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue, 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
Occupation
Used Car Manager/Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Installed mine last Wednesday, it works absolutely perfectly! Thanks for a great product!

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

punyandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Another testimonial - received and installed, works perfectly. Had my wife do the install, in fact - easier with smaller hands, though still a tight squeeze. Exactly what I was looking for, however. Appreciate the solid product.

flyeaglesfly

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered, fast shipping, installed in 5-10 minutes, boom no more PITA ESS.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Installed mine today. I removed the panel below the steering wheel using the steps in post #25. The install was very easy took about 15 minutes took my time getting it mounted with the velcro. Very happy with it. Shipping was fast. No more ESS annoyance!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@patternman

SO, are you enjoying your SmartStopStart........ I know stupid question. How could you not be. I'm sure you have found that the SmartStopStart does the job and never falters. Mine works flawlessly.

Anyway, a pleasure, right..

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
@patternman

SO, are you enjoying your SmartStopStart........ I know stupid question. How could you not be. I'm sure you have found that the SmartStopStart does the job and never falters. Mine works flawlessly.

Anyway, a pleasure, right..
Its great it stays at the setting I choose.
Sponsored