Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
It does not need to be removed for dealer visits and will not interfere with the dealer plugging in their machine.

That being said, some dealers may fuss over aftermarket equipment, so if you are under warranty we still recommend removing it to play it as safe as possible.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Does it need to be unplugged before each dealer service visit and if so, why? Is that where the dealer plugs in their machine to read codes? Sorry, but I'm not too knowledgeable about electronics and service.
Removal of the offering is easy easy, especially if you also have a security gateway extension cable in use.. There is no unmarrying or anything. Takes literally 3 mins. or so to remove the SmartStopStart if you have a security gateway extension cable.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/
Jeep Wrangler JL SmartStopStart, disable ESS the way it should have been designed bypass extension cable

Do read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🟢-➿-security-gateway-extension-cable-use-explained-➿.111159/

Remember, you can very easily sell the well know and desired, @SmartStopStart offering and SGW Extension Cable for a few $ less then you paid for them....when you no longer need the hardware.... Thus you re-coop most of what you initially spent on the hardware.

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Removal of the offering is easy easy, especially if you also have a security gateway extension cable in use.. There is no unmarrying or anything. Takes literally 3 mins. or so to remove the SmartStopStart if you have a security gateway extension cable.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/
Jeep Wrangler JL SmartStopStart, disable ESS the way it should have been designed bypass extension cable

Do read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🟢-➿-security-gateway-extension-cable-use-explained-➿.111159/

Remember, you can very easily sell the well know and desired, @SmartStopStart offering and SGW Extension Cable for a few $ less then you paid for them....when you no longer need the hardware.... Thus you re-coop most of what you initially spent on the hardware.
This cable isn’t needed, correct?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This cable isn’t needed, correct?
NO not needed but.... but it sure will make your dealings with the security gateway a hell of a lot easier each time you deal with the security gateway.

I strongly strongly, encourage you to buy the extension cable and have it in hand, BEFORE you do the install of the SmartStopStart unit.

Anyone that has ever dealt with theJL/JT's security gateway will tell you...will encourage you to buy the extension cable.

Yes, $29+ for the extension cable, but as mentioned you will re-coop your $ someday as this hardware offering is easily resold fora tad less then what you paid for it.

No, I do not work for Joe at ZAutomotive or Steve at SmartStopStart .... I have nothing to gain by encouraging you to buy their product offerings.. My reward will be you, posting that frigging @Rhinebeck01 was absolutely right in his recommendation in regard to this hardware.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WillyWonka
@other's

This video done by a young JL owner is real decent and will give you info on the install of the SmartStopStart unit.

Sponsored

COMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Maui" - 2022 JL High Tide, Hydro Pearl Blue
Just ordered my SmartStopStart up. Love my 2022 JL High Tide but the auto on/off is troublesome, seems like it is not solid on the Wrangler if that makes sense, seems rough.

Thank you to everyone for their insight, help, reviews and posts here!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So many new JL owner's on the forum these days... so I'll bump a terrific product offered by Steve, a fellow JL owner, a very decent guy and a Forum Sponsor @SmartStopStart.com

In 2018, the SmartStopStart unit was the first to market in regard to such a unit for the JL. Yes, even before the Tazer JL...

The SmartStopStart never hiccups... works every time...

For those that do not want to push the ESS button all the time .... that want an easy to install product that works properly all the time... never ever hiccups, do consider a SmartStopStart unit.

Do know that when you go to the dealership Service Department it takes about two minutes, for you to very easily remove the SmartStopStart unit you installed with an extension cable.

Start reading here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-the-way-it-should-have-been-designed.13946/

Note: A Tazer JL can deal with ESS also.. SmartStopStart unit is far less expensive, so if all you want to do is deal with ESS go with a SmartStopStart unit.

Avoid knock offs of the SmartStopStart as they have a way bigger footprint, lesser quality and are known to hiccup on occasion.

--
Disclaimer: I'm sure guys/gals hearing me go on and on about this offering think I am a paid promoter of SmartStopStart.... but I am not. I'm just a SmartStopStart fanboy that knows just how terrific the offering is. Yes, the offering is that good and well well worth every $ you pay for it.

Jeep Wrangler JL SmartStopStart, disable ESS the way it should have been designed smartstopstart

Last edited: