SmartStopStart, disable ESS the way it should have been designed

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Is there any chance that using this could cause an issue down the line with the aux battery/system just from not using it? Obviously this would be the same thing as just pressing the button every time, I am not trying to say that the module is actually causing any issues, just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the aux battery due to lack of use.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Is there any chance that using this could cause an issue down the line with the aux battery/system just from not using it? Obviously this would be the same thing as just pressing the button every time, I am not trying to say that the module is actually causing any issues, just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the aux battery due to lack of use.
Even with the system turned off, the aux. battery will always be kept charged. This is an AGM battery, so it is more tolerant to cycling than a standard wet cell battery. That said, NOT cycling should have the effect of actually improving the life of the battery.

Racer21

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just installed on my 2020 JWU Rubicon. Yeah... that space up in there is tight. But with a bit of contortion and patience, it's manageable.

This forum is two for two on recommended mods. First the spacer under the front seat bolts for more lower cushion rake, and now this nifty little gizmo. I'm going to call the first 5 days of ownership a wild success for me.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Or you could just wait for one or both of your batteries to weaken by 1% or something, and it'll disable itself permanently on its own.

I thought putting in a nice new AGM main battery had fixed it, been working fine for almost two months. But in the last week ESS has quit again and I just DGAF anymore. I am done chasing this ****ing problem. Jeep still starts up fine, no hint of a dying battery (better not be as both have been replaced in last six months). Once in a blue moon it'll kick in but it's not reliable like it used to be.

This ESS system is the dumbest, most brain-dead implementation I can imagine.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Snipe:
Or you could just wait for one or both of your batteries to weaken by 1% or something, and it'll disable itself permanently on its own.
Just to put it out there, so no one reads your post and takes it to heart.... and does as you mention.. but doing as you mention, is not the way to go...

Best bet is to learn how to deal with the battery system on your JL. With knowledge you will stay ahead of things lets say.

IF you want an adjunct that does in essence, the ESS button push for you ....do go with a SmartStopStart unit from SmartStopStart https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html . It is bet is to avoid other knock off offerings.... as the SmartStopStart unit never hiccups/never glitches.

Yes, Tazer JL Mini does also does the ESS button push deed for you... but not everyone needs all the features that the Tazer JL Mini offers.

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Bump to a terrific product offered by Steve, a fellow JL owner, a very decent guy and a Forum Sponsor @SmartStopStart.com
Thumbs up for Steve and SmartStopStart from me. Sent him email regarding forum discount and got a reply right away and he shipped unit next day. SmartStopStart was easy to install and works like charm. No more worries that now I have F42/Aux bypassed I might forget to disable ESS.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jumperless-aux-battery-bypass.95945/

RubiconOO7

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR, 2015 BMW X5M
Thank you for posting this, my first Jeep and learning new and cool things like this everyday!

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ordered mine yesterday! Steve the owner answered my call and questions. Pleasant experience.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed another SmartStopStart unit today..... for a local gal..

The install of this offering is so easy.... and the offering brings such let's call it, joy to the vehicle owner.

The gal had wanted me to install a knock off of the SmartStopStart and I told her no, I would not install that for her....

I told her for the same $ she could buy the original SmartStopStart unit for her JL that many many JL and JT owner's run one.

Of course, I also mentioned that the knockoffs are larger in footprint, that they do hiccup on occasion and they are not sold by a USA guy, that lets say, has ties to the Jeep community.

The SmartStopStart unit is a terrific offering. It's well worth the dollars and never ever hiccups.
Easy to resell when the time comes.... What more could a guy or gal want.

Jeep Wrangler JL SmartStopStart, disable ESS the way it should have been designed smartstopstart

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump to a terrific product offered by Steve, a fellow JL owner, a very decent guy and a Forum Sponsor @SmartStopStart.com

In 2018, the SmartStopStart unit was the first to market in regard to such a unit for the JL. Yes, even before the Tazer JL...

The SmartStopStart never hiccups... works every time...

For those that do not want to push the ESS button all the time .... that want an easy to install product that works properly all the time... never ever hiccups, do consider a SmartStopStart unit.

Do know that when you go to the dealership Service Department it takes about two minutes, for you to very easily remove the SmartStopStart unit you installed with an extension cable.

Start reading here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-the-way-it-should-have-been-designed.13946/

Note: A Tazer JL can deal with ESS also.. SmartStopStart unit is far less expensive, so if all you want to do is deal with ESS go with a SmartStopStart unit.

Avoid knock offs of the SmartStopStart as they have a way bigger footprint, lesser quality and hiccup on occasion.

Jeep Wrangler JL SmartStopStart, disable ESS the way it should have been designed smartstopstart

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW

In 2018, the SmartStopStart unit was the first to market in regard to such a unit for the JL. Yes, even before the Tazer JL...

The SmartStopStart never hiccups... works every time...

For those that do not want to push the ESS button all the time .... that want an easy to install product that works properly all the time... never ever hiccups, do consider a SmartStopStart unit.

Do know that when you go to the dealership Service Department it takes about two minutes, for you to very easily remove the SmartStopStart unit you installed with an extension cable.

Start reading here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-the-way-it-should-have-been-designed.13946/

Note: A Tazer JL can deal with ESS also.. SmartStopStart unit is far less expensive, so if all you want to do is deal with ESS go with a SmartStopStart unit.

Avoid knock offs of the SmartStopStart as they have a way bigger footprint, lesser quality and hiccup on occasion.

I don’t think this is in stock, but I emailed Steve to confirm it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think this is in stock, but I emailed Steve to confirm it.
@Willyswonka

I believe it is in stock..

DO message Steve at @SmartStopStart.com . Ask to please get the $100 price and also ask about availability.

Please post back here the end result of your communication with Steve.

Even if you had to wait a week to get the SSS, you will be glad you purchased a SmartStopStart versus a knockoff.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-should-have-been-designed.13946/post-2294877

Trivia: Steve at SmartStopStart had a JL offering SmartStopStart before ZAutomotive (Tazer JL) or any of the other's that have an offering that deals with the JL/JT.

Disclaimer: I am just a very happy SSS user. I have no business relationship, etc. with SSS, the company/Steve.

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
We have plenty in stock!
Does it need to be unplugged before each dealer service visit and if so, why? Is that where the dealer plugs in their machine to read codes? Sorry, but I'm not too knowledgeable about electronics and service.
Sponsored