First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Grey
    Liked:
    Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
    #1 Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    We are proud to now be a sponsor on JL Wrangler Forums!

Our SmartStopStart product is a memory device for the ESS disable button. It retains factory operation of ESS disable button, but allows the vehicle to remember your preference for each time you start the Jeep, rather than always defaulting to ESS ON as it does from the factory. This is why we say 'SmartStopStart is ESS the way it should have been designed'

Over the last two years we have shipped thousands of SmartStopStart modules to satisfied customers for the Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2) and the new Cherokee (KL). We are happy now to have our product for the Wrangler JL.

On the Wrangler JL, our product installs easily under the dash and it DOES NOT disable the Security Gateway Module (SGW) and it DOES NOT take up the OBDII port.

SmartStopStart also DOES NOT set any fault lights, warning dings or fault codes whatsoever. It has no side effects and it is fully compatible with the Wrangler factory remote start.

Please visit our website at https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

We have a FAQ here: https://www.smartstopstart.com/faq1.html

Installation instructions are here: https://www.smartstopstart.com/uploads/8/0/2/8/8028029/website_2018-19_wrangler_jl_v1.2.pdf

Please post any questions or contact me at [email protected].

2. Jruedastinger

Jruedastinger Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jorge
    Vehicle(s):
    07 jk 11wk2 waiting on jl stinggray
    Liked:
    Can’t use in California!? Why.

3. OP
    OP
    SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com Well-Known Member
    Peak Sponsor (Level 2)

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    This product has not been submitted for approval by the California Air Resources Board (CARB), it therefore is not allowed to be sold or used in CA.

CA enforces their laws aggressively, particularly for vendors, who can face very stiff penalties for violations.

4. MORubi

MORubi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Red JLUR, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Liked:
    Construction
    If I took in my jeep for service and disconnected the module, would the techs be able to detect that it was hooked up? I just don't want to leave a trace of it and them fight me on my warrantee. On my emissions deleted truck, the dealership could still detect that a tuner was on the truck even after I returned it to stock to trade in.

5. OP
    OP
    SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    #5 Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Unlike a tuner or programmer, this module makes no changes to the software in the vehicle whatsoever. It also does not cause any faults. If it is removed, there is no evidence that it has been used as long as you plug the cable back into it its original socket.

Also unlike the programmers on the market for the JL, it does not disconnect the Security Gateway module (SGW). With programmers you always must remember to remove the bypass and reconnect the SGW or the dealer's diagnostic equipment will not work.

6. Goin2drt

Goin2drt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    Kentucky (formerly Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
    Liked:
    Find someone with an address outside CA and have it shipped there. That is what I did.

This is absolutely true. I did buy this for my wife’s Grand Cherokee. It is awesome, expensive but happy wife equals happy life.

For the JL I wanted many of the other things the Tazer offers so I got that for the JL. However if this is all you want, buy with confidence. Had ours for 2 years and works great.

7. nvabill

nvabill Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    Ordered yesterday and got tracking number today. As soon as I get it in and install I will give an update / review.

Kraty1 likes this.
  8. nvabill

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    #8 Aug 27, 2018
    Thanks for the advice, I was looking at that panel and thinking it needs to come off to make a clean install. Hopefully I will receive it today and install it. After I try it out I will let everyone know how it goes.

Btsnyder11 likes this.
  9. FloridaCowboy

FloridaCowboy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Dodge Charger 2015 Dodge Challenger 2017 MX 5 RF
    Liked:
    Retired
    I hate this feature on my JL Sahara. Try to remember to turn it off every time I start the Jeep but sometimes forget. Then it pisses me off when it shuts down and the AC goes off when its blazing hot here in SW Florida. The roaring jet engine loud fan if on high is major annoying also, so I don’t use the highest fan speed.
    I just bought a 2019 BMW 440i and once you press the ss button once it remains off until you choose to turn it back on again.
    This is how Jeep should have installed it in the 1st place. Other than that I love my Sahara.

Rockmaninoff likes this.
  10. switz

switz Active Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Rubicon JK; 2018 Rubicon JL on order
    Liked:
    It seems most folks complaining about the Start/Stop function have the 3.6. I received my 2.0 Rubicon two weeks ago expecting to hate it and I actually am amazed at how good it works. We were in a heat-wave for the first week and it did affect the air conditioning but, now that it is cooler, it works amazingly well. The loud fan is another topic though.

11. OP
    OP
    SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    #11 Aug 27, 2018
    This is EXACTLY how SmartStopStart makes the Jeep Wrangler behave.

It does this without reprogramming, without tying up the OBDII port and without disabling the cybersecurity features built into the Jeep.

12. Scott2373

Scott2373 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ford F150 / 2018 Sahara JLU. Formerly 2013 JK and 2003 Liberty Renegade
    Liked:
    Do you plan on making one for Ford? I know there would be a LOT of interested people over on F150forum.com!

CostanzaJL likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Maybe next year. In addition to more Jeep models, we chose to do GM this year because most GM vehicles do not even have a temporary override switch!

14. nvabill

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    #14 Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    ***UPDATE - INSTALL & TESTING***

Ok, got the unit in the mail today after just ordering it on Friday, not bad at all, free priority mail and with Virginia tax my total was $137. It's on sale right now as it is normally sold for $149 plus shipping. Unlike some of the others on here I don't need any other features so I bought this unit in lieu of the more expensive multi function units.

Install - Instructions are clear and easy to follow and it is a little tight getting to the wires under the dash just as the instructions say. I did add removing the center panel underneath the steering column. Don't worry it pops off real easy and goes back on just as easy as it came off. I installed the unit just as the instructions said but did make a slight modification. After using the provided Velcro to attach the module to the metal crossbar I also ran a plastic zip-tie around it as I just wanted it a little more secure. Probably not necessary but made me feel better.

Testing - I have tested this unit every way I can think of and it works perfectly as advertised. If you turn the Start Stop off with the switch and you shut your Jeep off and then restart it, it defaults to where you left it. I even tried it with the remote start and it works the same way. Turn the switch off and the start stop goes back to working just like it is supposed to. This unit is so simple I can't believe Jeep didn't do it from the get go but they didn't so I love this unit.

So, simple, good price over more complicated units I did not need and works as advertised!

15. Kenc

Kenc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye, 2019 RAM 1500 Limited, which makes me officially “Mopar or no car”
    Liked:
    Boat Builder
    Same here. Ordered Friday and received it today. Took all of 5 minutes to install and works perfectly. I highly recommend this if ESS bothers you as much as it bothered me!

RI Music Guy and nvabill like this.