Sponsored

Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi.

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Will a 2.5 lift work with gutted fenders and AAL inner fenders with a 38" or am I going to have clearance issues? Would like to keep my center of gravity low as much as possible but don't want to have to eliminate too much up travel by having to use extended bump stops.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Word's right. Going larger than 37's requires trimming of the rear pinch seams. By how much depends on how the control arms get setup.

Here's my 1st lift, the Dynatrac Endurosport true 2", with 38's and chopped front and rear fenders. It was only a "starter" kit so I also did all 8 control arms and both track bars from another company, so I could recenter the axles side to side and fore and aft. If you zoom in on the last one, you can see the tire pressed into the pinch seam.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200606_105610_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 1590247435754
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200706_151830_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200706_151650

Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200706_151751_resized

The fender chop will gain about 3.5" up front and 2-2.5" out back. You'll need to lose all of the rear plastic filler panels just for on road clearance. And assuming you have the factory steel rear bumper, you can also ditch the stamped steel bracket that goes between the bumper and frame. It's not structure for the bumper, it just serves as a rigid mounting point for the plastic filler panels to keep them from flapping in the wind at highway speeds.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Word's right. Going larger than 37's requires trimming of the rear pinch seams. By how much depends on how the control arms get setup.

Here's my 1st lift, the Dynatrac Endurosport true 2", with 38's and chopped front and rear fenders. It was only a "starter" kit so I also did all 8 control arms and both track bars from another company, so I could recenter the axles side to side and fore and aft. If you zoom in on the last one, you can see the tire pressed into the pinch seam.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200706_151751_resized

The fender chop will gain about 3.5" up front and 2-2.5" out back. You'll need to lose all of the rear plastic filler panels just for on road clearance. And assuming you have the factory steel rear bumper, you can also ditch the stamped steel bracket that goes between the bumper and frame. It's not structure for the bumper, it just serves as a rigid mounting point for the plastic filler panels to keep them from flapping in the wind at highway speeds.
How many inches of bump stops were you running?

OP
OP
Jeepnutz

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR

Nice looking JLU. How are you liking the milestars?

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How many inches of bump stops were you running?
At the time of those pics, I was using the 2" bumpstop spacers that came with the Dynatrac lift. I could've knocked it down to 1", or possibly less, but the larger tires were a precursor to a full tear out of the whole setup I built on that lift, so I never found out how little spacing was actually needed.

Assuming you open up all 4 wheelwells with a chop, and go with AAL liners that are as high tuck as it gets, it all boils down to how much articulation your chosen lift kit has and wheel offset/backspacing. The further one tire drops, the more leaned in the other tire will get when stuffed, because they have a longer arc to follow. My 38x13.5's are wrapped around 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset and 4.53" of backspace. Lifts such as my old Dynatrac and Mopars don't offer a lot of articulation, which is why I could've gotten away with next to no additional bumpstop spacers over factory. I had plenty of elbow room at full stuff with the Dynatrac, but the same wheel and tire combo lightly rubs the AAL liners courtesy of the crazy amount of articulation from the Metalcloak Gamechanger with 3" of bumpstop spacers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200706_151830
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200831_111145

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice looking JLU. How are you liking the milestars?
They're not a high mileage tire, but I knew that going in. Otherwise, I've been quite pleased with them overall. My work schedule and offroading being illegal here gets in the way of more serious off highway use, so the vast majority of my miles are as a daily driver. They are not at all loud at speed and haven't given me any slippage issues on wet or snow covered roads. Since they are a hybrid tire with a rounded side to side tread, they don't produce as much as friction as a flat tread on a similar width. They are also on the lighter side compared to similar size tires. Those last two points equal less impact to fuel economy and wear to steering and suspension components. They do need to be rotated every 5k miles at most. Some do it every 3k, but I like doing it with oil changes. I prematurely screwed these 38's by going way over 5k on my last rotation. I had a medical issue pop up that brought far more pain than when I broke 4 ribs and continued to repeatedly break them during work for the following 20 something months. By the time I got it diagnosed, had surgery, and was fully healed up enough to hump these heavy wheel/tires around, I was just shy of 10k and they were worn very uneven and inconsistent. Reversing rotation caused a bad enough side to side oscillation in the 50-60 mph range, that they had to be replaced.

I did want to try my hands at a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T's, but with the current craze with availability, I was looking at a lead time into the beginning of next year. I couldn't risk beating up my steering and suspension components, so I went with what I know and was available. A second set of Pat's, but this time I wanted to try a set of 40x13.5's. Just had them put on yesterday and it instantly went back to butter smooth. This time I won't stretch any rotations and will see if I can break 40k on this set. Had 39k on the 38's. They weren't near balding, but were starting to slip around a bit in wet corners and curves. That means the snow traction was gone. I do emergency snow removal and am always out in the worst of it before the plow trucks are clearing roadways, so running a set of tires to the point of their underwear hanging out is not a thing that I ever do.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I see @Headbarcode post flex pictures it makes me want to click order on the 6packs
Here's my favorite money shot so far, that needs to be redone after a lot of more recent changes. And this winter I will hopefully remember to hop out and take some that don't include a forklift. 😆
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200831_111107

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Currently running 38s and a Daystar spacer lift with Mopar Fox shocks, and AAL fender chop.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20211011_095527

I still need to flex it out and see how much rubs, just trimmed the fenders.

Sponsored

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Here's my favorite money shot so far, that needs to be redone after a lot of more recent changes. And this winter I will hopefully remember to hop out and take some that don't include a forklift. 😆
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20211011_095527
So, to get the 38’s to fit, after the fender chop and trimming pinch seams and such, how much bump stops were you at?
I’m planning on stepping up to 37/38’s here shortly, and I’m wondering if I’ll be bumps stopping away any added up travel the 6packs give. Ie: is there still an overall wheel travel increase over a standard set of shocks?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, to get the 38’s to fit, after the fender chop and trimming pinch seams and such, how much bump stops were you at?
I’m planning on stepping up to 37/38’s here shortly, and I’m wondering if I’ll be bumps stopping away any added up travel the 6packs give. Ie: is there still an overall wheel travel increase over a standard set of shocks?
I still haven't trimmed the pinch seams due to the time required to also artfully re-engineer the AAL liners and their mounting plates to work with a larger arch. Supposedly, Nemesis liners work with trimmed seams, but I've already redone too many things as is.

In the pic above, the front was pretty well stuffed and the back tires were dug deep into the tire...
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200831_111646

With 3" of bumpstop spacers in the front, the inner corner of the tire was lightly kissing the AAL liner with the wheel straight. I couldn't turn the wheel so far out on the forks without risking a drop. I should've spread them a bit more and put the tire closer to their heels. I added a 4th Metalcloak spacer to ensure full clearance when fully stuffed and turned to lock. This is all with 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset and 4.53" of backspace. The same wheel with -38 offset and 3.5" bs would definitely work with my setup with 3" bumpstops, as it would get a stuffed front tire further away from the liners and take more advantage of the space created by the fender chop. You can see in this pic that my wheels specs don't allow the tire to take full advantage of the fender clearance when the opposite tire is drooped.
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200831_103949

The 6-packs are about 30" fully extended, which isn't enough to write home about. But they are only 15.75" between mounting bolt centers when fully collapsed. They get paired with front upper relocation brackets that lower the mounting point by about 2.5" and outward by about 1.5". This allows full advantage of the collapsed length to simulate the extended length of a longer shock but without the downside of its longer tube. The rears get paired with lower relocation brackets that do the same thing, while also allowing one to cut off the factory lower shock mount for more ground clearance. I've yet to fully commit to doing that on mine. So yes, the 6-packs provide a considerable amount more total travel than anything other than coilovers.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thank you! That’s what I’ve been comparing them to right now.

I’m looking at accutunes 2.0 12” coilovers and comparing them to the 6packs Right now. Still just running all of the numbers and trying to figure out what’s going to give me more travel, apparently the accutune coilover kit retains 5” of uptravel with the correct fenders, which I would like to keep with a 37/38” tire. IMO it’s pointless to have the travel to then bump stop it out, so I was curious while sitting on bump stops if those 6 packs were nearing that full compression and getting full use of the entire travel of them.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I still haven't trimmed the pinch seams due to the time required to also artfully re-engineer the AAL liners and their mounting plates to work with a larger arch. Supposedly, Nemesis liners work with trimmed seams, but I've already redone too many things as is.

In the pic above, the front was pretty well stuffed and the back tires were dug deep into the tire...
Jeep Wrangler JL Smallest lift for 38" with AAL inner fenders and fender chop on JLU Rubi. 20200831_103949

With 3" of bumpstop spacers in the front, the inner corner of the tire was lightly kissing the AAL liner with the wheel straight. I couldn't turn the wheel so far out on the forks without risking a drop. I should've spread them a bit more and put the tire closer to their heels. I added a 4th Metalcloak spacer to ensure full clearance when fully stuffed and turned to lock. This is all with 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset and 4.53" of backspace. The same wheel with -38 offset and 3.5" bs would definitely work with my setup with 3" bumpstops, as it would get a stuffed front tire further away from the liners and take more advantage of the space created by the fender chop. You can see in this pic that my wheels specs don't allow the tire to take full advantage of the fender clearance when the opposite tire is drooped.

The 6-packs are about 30" fully extended, which isn't enough to write home about. But they are only 15.75" between mounting bolt centers when fully collapsed. They get paired with front upper relocation brackets that lower the mounting point by about 2.5" and outward by about 1.5". This allows full advantage of the collapsed length to simulate the extended length of a longer shock but without the downside of its longer tube. The rears get paired with lower relocation brackets that do the same thing, while also allowing one to cut off the factory lower shock mount for more ground clearance. I've yet to fully commit to doing that on mine. So yes, the 6-packs provide a considerable amount more total travel than anything other than coilovers.

Thanks for all this information.

How's the noise level on the Metalcloak joints compared to say a factory control arm bushing? Thinking about dumping my johnny joints for either the MC arms or the Teraflex IR's (since those offer more of a factory noise level and still flex somewhat better than stock).

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

That's a lot of great information. I've been eyeing those MC shock relocation brackets. Once I get on the forklift to check out my clearance I might be adding them to my setup.
Sponsored