voland

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS M6
Vehicle Showcase
I have '19 JLU Sahara and would like to upgrade it a bit. The goals is to preserve on-road manners and ride quality, while giving a slightly better looks and trying mild off-roading.

Can someone please comment on whether this plan will work:

1. Replacing stock wheels / tires with 285/70/R17, with BFG KO2, load rating C
2. Replacing shocks with Rubicon take-offs, keeping Sahara springs
3. Adding Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift
4. Add Mopar control arms (1/4" longer than stock)

I'm questioning whether Sahara springs will work with Rubi shocks + 1.5" lift without any additional hardware. Do I need different sway bar links?

Thank you very much in advance.
Sponsored

JimT

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You may want to try mild off-roading with your stock JLUS first so you know what direction you want to take. You may be surprised at how capable it is and also you will learn what aspect of off-road you enjoy more such as rocks, mud or even overland. I'm sure others will answer your questions on the possible shopping list but the more experienced you are off-road the better.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
1. Replacing stock wheels / tires with 285/70/R17, with BFG KO2, load rating C
2. Replacing shocks with Rubicon take-offs, keeping Sahara springs
3. Adding Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift
4. Add Mopar control arms (1/4" longer than stock)

I'm questioning whether Sahara springs will work with Rubi shocks + 1.5" lift without any additional hardware. Do I need different sway bar links?
1. Replacing stock wheels / tires with 285/70/R17, with BFG KO2, load rating C - Good Choice (will have more road noise)
2. Replacing shocks with Rubicon take-offs, keeping Sahara springs - Will work fine
3. Adding Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift - Good Choice - but; will stiffen the ride more, then without - not much though
4. Add Mopar control arms (1/4" longer than stock) - Not Convinced you need these

I'm questioning whether Sahara springs will work with Rubi shocks + 1.5" lift without any additional hardware. - YES

Do I need different sway bar links? - NO - On road - Off road , just disconnect them

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
1. Replacing stock wheels / tires with 285/70/R17, with BFG KO2, load rating C - Good Choice (will have more road noise)
2. Replacing shocks with Rubicon take-offs, keeping Sahara springs - Will work fine
3. Adding Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift - Good Choice - but; will stiffen the ride more, then without - not much though
4. Add Mopar control arms (1/4" longer than stock) - Not Convinced you need these AGREE

I'm questioning whether Sahara springs will work with Rubi shocks + 1.5" lift without any additional hardware. - YES

Do I need different sway bar links? - NO - On road - Off road , just disconnect them Make sure your sway bar remains about 5 degrees above horizontal. Personally I'd recommend getting some JKS sway bar discos for around $150.

If I may ask, what are you trying to achieve? You've got a real hodge podge going on here.

OP
OP
voland

voland

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS M6
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your input. I've been researching this forums quite a bit and my list is reflecting some of the collective wisdom.

The goals of the upgrades at this point are:
1. Custom look: taller, slightly wider stance
- Spacer lift
- Wider tires, wheels with +18 offset

2. Improve the road manners over stock (I know, it contradicts the goal above, but people seem to have found a happy balance)
- Rubicon shocks
- Control arms

With that in mind, will Rubicon shocks used in combination with Sahara springs result in an improved handling? I read that Rubicon shocks are better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The shocks will probably make it a little stiffer. I doubt you need those control arms. The 2" Mopar Fox lift uses those control arms and that lift is WAY higher than what you are doing. They can call it a 2" lift but it is closer to 3".
That being said you are pushing your caster out needlessly.

OP
OP
voland

voland

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS M6
Vehicle Showcase
The shocks will probably make it a little stiffer. I doubt you need those control arms. The 2" Mopar Fox lift uses those control arms and that lift is WAY higher than what you are doing. They can call it a 2" lift but it is closer to 3".
That being said you are pushing your caster out needlessly.
I'm also considering RC 2.5 Spacer lift as an option. I read long threads about it, and people generally seem pleased with the results. This lift also changes the look quite a bit, which I like. Do I need to replace the track bar if I go RC Spacer route?

Being new to modding, I'm a bit cautious about messing with suspension geometry too much. Most likely I will have the lift done at a shop, so there's cost involved for every "tweak". That's why I'm trying to figure out a good plan before I start ordering the parts. I really appreciate your help!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also considering RC 2.5 Spacer lift as an option. I read long threads about it, and people generally seem pleased with the results. This lift also changes the look quite a bit, which I like. Do I need to replace the track bar if I go RC Spacer route?

Being new to modding, I'm a bit cautious about messing with suspension geometry too much. Most likely I will have the lift done at a shop, so there's cost involved for every "tweak". That's why I'm trying to figure out a good plan before I start ordering the parts. I really appreciate your help!
OK, I'll be a nice guy and share with you what I did (2.5" RC lift), why I did it and what I regret.

This is my wife's rig and we learned really quickly we should have got the Rubi because of how hard we are riding this Sahara. We will be hitting Moab in July and I actually put a call in to the dealer to see how upside down we would be on a trade in for a Rubi. All of that being said here's some info that may help you.

Step #1 - Bought Rubi rims and tires.

Step #2 - Put on the RC 2.5" lift by myself. It was a great learning experience and took me waaaay longer because I was a noob to lifts and wanted to understand and do it correctly. It wasn't hard at all, just time consuming. This lift will raise your rear 2" and your front 2.5" so it will take out the rake up front and it's really a 2" lift.
PROs - Cheap, gives the Jeep a great stance.
CONs - the sway bar links SUCK up front and one came loose (at least this was my experience). You have a lift but still don't have full shock travel because of the brackets. Track bar relocation brackets are not needed nor are new control arms.

Step #3 - Barricade Aluminum front bumper and Rough Country 9500 winch. The bumper is crazy light thereby putting less weight on the front suspension. Some people poo poo Rough Country but at $400 for a synthetic rope winch with pretty much a lifetime warranty we went for it. So far it has done three tough winch outs with no problems.

Step #4 - Sahara side steps suck off-roading and can't take a hit. Solution = ACE Engineering rock rails. They've gone up $150 since I bought them but they are SOLID and they are FRAME mounted. These things can take a full on hit and drive away. Great investment and they look freaking cool.

Step #5 - Dang we really should have bought a Rubi.

Step #6 - Now here we are 7 months and a lot of knowledge later and I bought full length Rancho RS5000X shocks (need to put on still). These will give a more stable ride and take advantage of full travel. I also put on JKS sway bar disconnects. HUGE plus because now I can disconnect and articulate better off road.
Rancho $200 JKS $140 from John @OffRoadWarehouse ; he will hook you up.

Step #7 - Dang should have bought a Rubi, have call in to dealer, waiting to see what they find.

Step #8 - 35" tires BUT not advisable if you're going to be more than a parking lot princess or mall crawler on these axles. Since we off road hard we risk snapping an axle with 35s on the Dana M200 and M186 axles.
Solution drop $4k on Rubi axle takes offs. Nah, will most likely build up the axles with chrome-moly shafts and possible new gearing and then we can go with 35s and a locker.

So you need to ask yourself how you want to run this thing. We went off-roading and were addicted. I mean addicted to the point that I went out and bought a '04 LJ and now we off road together. And to brag on the Mrs.... she understands everything I have typed above :)

You may want to consider a full on lift with new springs, shocks and links. It will be pricier though. When the 35s go on we will most likely do a full on regular lift but this is a few years down the road. For now we can do some serious off roading as we sit and just know our limits and what we can look forward to.

I hope this helps. Here is what your Sahara will look like using your original suspension and putting on a RC 2.5" lift. Here are also some fun pics :)

upload_2019-2-27_19-44-12.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_19-46-35.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_19-47-26.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_19-49-28.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_19-47-52.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_19-48-10.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_19-48-30.jpeg

OP
OP
voland

voland

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS M6
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger Great progression! Thank you for sharing all these little details. I love the stance of your Jeep, especially on the first photo. These are 33's, right? Bumper choice and side steps make a lot of sense.

I can confidently say that my better half would not go as far as yours. She loves the idea of having a Jeep in the family, but this is where it stops. She might enjoy occasional ride on an unpaved road, but climbing rocks is not in the cards. Also, with two school-age boys, I doubt I will have a lot of time to dedicate to off-roading trips... most of the time the Jeep will be parked at baseball games or swim meets. That is the reality.

However, the Jeep is my new toy, it makes me smile, and I want to give it some personality. I will definitely try mild trails this spring and summer. There must be some decent entry-level trails around the Chicago area in IL, WI, or IN. We will see where this will take me... who knows, maybe I will trade in the Sahara for Rubi in a year or two?

For now, wheels and tire are on order. I need to decide between RC 2.5" lift and Teraflex 1.5" lifts. Will I regret not doing enough with 1.5 or will I regret too much loss in handling going too high with 2.5? Decisions, decisions... but isn't it fun? Will go re-read all threads about RC 2.5 now.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger Great progression! Thank you for sharing all these little details. I love the stance of your Jeep, especially on the first photo. These are 33's, right? Bumper choice and side steps make a lot of sense.

I can confidently say that my better half would not go as far as yours. She loves the idea of having a Jeep in the family, but this is where it stops. She might enjoy occasional ride on an unpaved road, but climbing rocks is not in the cards. Also, with two school-age boys, I doubt I will have a lot of time to dedicate to off-roading trips... most of the time the Jeep will be parked at baseball games or swim meets. That is the reality.

However, the Jeep is my new toy, it makes me smile, and I want to give it some personality. I will definitely try mild trails this spring and summer. There must be some decent entry-level trails around the Chicago area in IL, WI, or IN. We will see where this will take me... who knows, maybe I will trade in the Sahara for Rubi in a year or two?

For now, wheels and tire are on order. I need to decide between RC 2.5" lift and Teraflex 1.5" lifts. Will I regret not doing enough with 1.5 or will I regret too much loss in handling going too high with 2.5? Decisions, decisions... but isn't it fun? Will go re-read all threads about RC 2.5 now.
You're welcome and I'm glad I could help. Hey, as long as that Jeep makes you smile you got the right vehicle for you. Notice how I didn't call it a car; don't call it a car, God kills a kitten every time you do... lol.
In terms of going higher... we started off "let's put a Rubi suspension to give it a little boost". Then my wife comes home from a mountain trip, doesn't even say hello to me, the first words out of her mouth were "I need a 2" lift!!! I look like a sissy next to those other Jeeps!" Yes you do give up some stability the higher you go, but we regret not going higher. I don't think many regret it the other way around :)
If you keep your mods simple based on your needs you will be one of the few people on the forum with money in the bank still LOL.
Keep researching, at the end of the day you'll figure out what you want.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My personal experience led me to just get the Rubicon Unlimited and then drive it a while to figure out IF I want/need more options. My recommendation to the OP would be to stick with Mopar suspension for mild lifts. Rubicon take-off suspensions are all over for cheap. I would not use spacers, nor am I a fan of Rough Country products based on a number of purchases in the past of their stuff. A Rubicon rides pretty nice IMO. Take-off Rubicon wheel/tire sets are all over as well. Me...I just couldn't justify buying a Sahara or Sport and building a more capable Jeep one component at a time and essentially buying parts twice. Enjoy your Jeep no matter which path you take.