Sponsored

Slightly embarrassed to give a non Wrangler owner a ride!

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
A friend who rode with me the other day had a surprised look on his face and finally said 'this is by far the best riding jeep I've ever been in'!. I said it's prob the $1800 shocks and 37'' tires @28psi :).

Wind noise with the hard top is practically non existent and no interior rattles yet, which is even more surprising.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I’ve given my parents rides in my Sport Unlimited w/hardtop and sunrider a couple of times. My dad drives a Tesla after years of driving Jaguars and Mercedes, and my mom drives a Cayenne Hybrid after years of driving Lexus (not flexing… just years of driving quiet, comfortable luxury vehicles)… I’ve asked them a few times how the ride was and they had no complaints. It’s obviously not as quiet as any of the models listed above… but I was seriously impressed with it as well. My last few cars have been loaded imports because I got tired of American “quality” about 20 years ago… and Chrysler was the company I loathed the most.

But again, seriously impressed with the JL. I have no regrets.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
While I love my Wrangler and can't imagine driving anything else, I find myself almost apologizing to friends who I give rides to due to the noise level the vehicle while heading down the road. If I'm in the city it's usally not too bad unless it's really windy out, like today. Over 60 mph and the unquiet gets more pronounced.

And this is on a stock Sahara Altitude with the Sky One Touch roof which may be producing some of the wind noise. No tire drone caused by large, aggresive thread or death wobble from being lifted half way to heaven.

None of my current friends own a Wrangler so I can't imagine they have a clue on what to expect a Wrangler to be like on the road. Unless of course they read Consumer Reports. I don't think CR is their thing though.

I did give my wife's sister's husband a ride while they were in town over Christmas. He currently drives a Toyota 4Runner and since the day was calm the noise wasn't bad at all. His only reply was he really was impressed with power of the V-6. Oh, and he liked the Snazzberry color.

I really haven't gotten any negative reactions, at least not to my face but I wonder sometimes what they may be thinking. My JL isn't as bad as my CJ5 soft top though which actually had passengers ask, "What Was That"? when the wind would hit that vehicle a certain way. You'd swear the top was getting ready to fly off when some violent noise would impact your ears.
Honestly, I'd take them out in your Jeep off-road and wait to see the smile on their faces the first time they experience it. My wife literally could not stop laughing and smiling as we cruised through mud, creeks, and rough terrain as she attempted to film it on her phone the first time I took her out. It was awesome!

Sponsored

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
While I love my Wrangler and can't imagine driving anything else, I find myself almost apologizing to friends who I give rides to due to the noise level the vehicle while heading down the road. If I'm in the city it's usally not too bad unless it's really windy out, like today. Over 60 mph and the unquiet gets more pronounced.

And this is on a stock Sahara Altitude with the Sky One Touch roof which may be producing some of the wind noise. No tire drone caused by large, aggresive thread or death wobble from being lifted half way to heaven.

None of my current friends own a Wrangler so I can't imagine they have a clue on what to expect a Wrangler to be like on the road. Unless of course they read Consumer Reports. I don't think CR is their thing though.

I did give my wife's sister's husband a ride while they were in town over Christmas. He currently drives a Toyota 4Runner and since the day was calm the noise wasn't bad at all. His only reply was he really was impressed with power of the V-6. Oh, and he liked the Snazzberry color.

I really haven't gotten any negative reactions, at least not to my face but I wonder sometimes what they may be thinking. My JL isn't as bad as my CJ5 soft top though which actually had passengers ask, "What Was That"? when the wind would hit that vehicle a certain way. You'd swear the top was getting ready to fly off when some violent noise would impact your ears.
I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. But if you do want to help quiet it down a little, we do make a headliner for the Sky One Touch if you're interested.

https://hotheadheadliners.com/products/sky-one-touch-headliner
-
Mark

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Practically everything is a compromise and that's true with Wranglers, too.

Soft tops = fun in the sun with noise being the trade off.

Hardtops = less noise but with less sun.

Choose the way ya wanna go and don't sweat any one else's preference. It's your Jeep and it's set up the way you prefer. After all, you paid for it.
Soft top in the warm months, hard top in the other months...

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landy 110, 2014, 1.8T Golf GTI 2001, Audi Q5 2013,
only people who should be embarrassed giving anyone a lift, is some women who keep the inside of their vehicle like a chicken house - only time my wife's car is clean is when i drive it - female friends Tahoe has a pile of discarded shoes and bra's as she made her way home from office

OP
OP
Hogdreamer

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
Update on my Wrangler's non Wrangler rider's comments.

I gave my mom and her husband a ride home this week from the airport as they were coming back home to Minnesota after wintering in Arizona. My mom was riding in the back seat on the first part of the trip. Her only comment, actually comments as she stated it more than once, was "your Jeep sure rides nice"! Nothing negative at all.

After our lunch stop she went from a backseat passenger to a front seat passenger at the urging of her husband. She was very pleased with that move of seating location as now she had access to the heated seat which she kept on high the rest of the way home. The temperatures in Minnesota were about 65 degrees colder that day compared to Arizona.

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
only people who should be embarrassed giving anyone a lift, is some women who keep the inside of their vehicle like a chicken house - only time my wife's car is clean is when i drive it - female friends Tahoe has a pile of discarded shoes and bra's as she made her way home from office
I hear ya.

My wife thinks whatever vehicle she rides in is a dumpster. She tosses all wrappers, receipts, etc on the floor.