longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Hey all

Still trying to figure stuff out here. Okay, so I have a base jeep (Willys Edition) In reading the manual it talks about HDC "Hill Descent Control" it states to activate it you push a button on the dash. I do not have a button on the dash, so I am assuming I do not have HDC, correct?

I do however have a button for "Selec-Speed" This I think I understand. Put it into 4L, this on my jeep automatically disables traction control and stability control. Push the "Selec-speed" button and the jeep will climb, or descend at a speed I can select from .6 mph to like 5 mph by itself. If I touch the brake, accelerator or turn off the button, etc. it will disable selec-speed.
So in a way isn't selec-speed like hill descent control? Because I can use selec-speed going up or down correct? Where the manual states that hill descent can only be used while descending. If your on level ground or ascending hill descent control will not work.

Part of the confusion I guess is why you would even have HDC when you have selec-speed. But they are both in the manual and it shows 2 diff. button icons for each, and I know I don't have the HDC button on my Jeep.

Thanks
Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
Do you have this button
Jeep Wrangler JL Slightly confused 1645116684370

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, 2 buttons on the left of the temp. selector knob, traction control on-off, ESS on-off. On the right side of the temp. selector knob is one long button that is for selec-speed. That's all the buttons they give me on the base jeep. LOL.

Besides the hazard button.

I will post pic. at break today.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Hey all

Still trying to figure stuff out here. Okay, so I have a base jeep (Willys Edition) In reading the manual it talks about HDC "Hill Descent Control" it states to activate it you push a button on the dash. I do not have a button on the dash, so I am assuming I do not have HDC, correct?

I do however have a button for "Selec-Speed" This I think I understand. Put it into 4L, this on my jeep automatically disables traction control and stability control. Push the "Selec-speed" button and the jeep will climb, or descend at a speed I can select from .6 mph to like 5 mph by itself. If I touch the brake, accelerator or turn off the button, etc. it will disable selec-speed.
So in a way isn't selec-speed like hill descent control? Because I can use selec-speed going up or down correct? Where the manual states that hill descent can only be used while descending. If your on level ground or ascending hill descent control will not work.

Part of the confusion I guess is why you would even have HDC when you have selec-speed. But they are both in the manual and it shows 2 diff. button icons for each, and I know I don't have the HDC button on my Jeep.

Thanks
It would help if you had a picture this is an easy answer if we could see your panel with the buttons, but if not you will have a button with a little Wrangler descending.

Sponsored

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
You have select speed not hill decent. Select speed is better. It controls you speed both up and down inclines. You have to shift to manual and press the select speed button. The You control the speed with the shift stic. It goes between .6 and about 5 mph.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
yeah sorry, not hill descent-that is the select-speed. So just keep that foot on the brake. LOL- I have the hill descent and still brake-I've never pushed that button. But it's just as good

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
I have hill decent on my JK and select speed on my JLU. I like the select speed more. I don't use it a whole lot but it is nice to have on a long steep incline. It is basically a slow speed cruise control. It is supposed to also control braking to individual wheels.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys. I knew I had selec-speed. I was just curious if the manual was old and hadn't been updated or something because I was trying to figure out why you would need both because selec-speed seems (As others have stated) a better system. But what it sounds like is with probably the upper trim levels Jeep still gives you both, as well as like 3 other modes "rain brake assist" etc.

I have not used selec-speed yet, no need as of yet. A friend here at work though said he used his at Hard Rock in Ocala once climbing the steepest hill there (Which is pretty steep) in the pouring rain, and Ocala turns really muddy and slippery when it rains. He said he used selec-speed and just let the jeep go and it climbed right up the hill. Pretty cool feature.

Looking forward to trying it out one day.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

EXPFDR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Billet Silver JLU
Occupation
Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at past threads about this it appears that:
• 2021 JL Wranglers -
Selec-Speed Control for the 2.0 turbo, the 3.0 diesel, and the 392.
Hill-Descent Control for the 3.6.
• 2018-2020 JL Wranglers -
Hill-Descent Control for all trims and engines.
• 2021 JT Gladiators -
Selec-Speed Control for all trims and engines.

But if you build a new vehicle, especially a 2022 model, all trims seem to have the select speed control. I assume hill descent is out on any new vehicle.

Top pic, Transmission choice for Willys, Bottom pic, choice for Rubicon per Jeep.com

Jeep Wrangler JL Slightly confused Willys

Jeep Wrangler JL Slightly confused Rubi