Sponsored

Slightly bent B-pillar on the driver side

afterdarq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
hi guys, new jeep owner here. Had the audacity to buy a damaged 2019 JL Rubicon (accident was a rollover offroad) and so far the repairs have been relatively simple (the roof excluded) with the exception of the slight bend in the top of b-pillar on the driver side that is causing fitment issues. It's about 0.2inches or so bent inwards. I know Jeep used some new blow-formed tech for the new sport bars as they call them. It can surely be fixed with a pull, but does anyone what is the repair procedure for this or have any other suggestions. Any help or inputs as well as schematics will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the lame pic, but it has been pouring hard for several days now, I can't get a proper photo.

IMG-e2ac53160a14e24dbe7dbabc79b855c9-V.jpg
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
My initial thoughts would be to remove the interior trim in that area and see if you could tap it back into place. I’ve only owned my JL for a short while and don’t even remember what’s behind that part, so maybe this idea won’t work?

OP
OP

afterdarq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
My initial thoughts would be to remove the interior trim in that area and see if you could tap it back into place. I’ve only owned my JL for a short while and don’t even remember what’s behind that part, so maybe this idea won’t work?
the B-pillar basically constitutes of 3 parts shown here
Jeep Wrangler JL Slightly bent B-pillar on the driver side e5a78248811743198befe13220f1089a

Problem is, I believe all 3 are welded to each other and also to the newly designed sport bars that are supposedly super-tough, but apparently not so much:
Jeep Wrangler JL Slightly bent B-pillar on the driver side great-designs-and-steel-20190515-45

I would have wished for this to have some sort of assembly that can be replaced, but maybe the only way is to pull it slightly in the opposite direction.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Old school time. Wrap the B-Pillar in towels. Get a large rubber mallet, and do some whacking. A little at a time. Just my thoughts.
Let us know what you decide, and what the results are.

OP
OP

afterdarq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
Old school time. Wrap the B-Pillar in towels. Get a large rubber mallet, and do some whacking. A little at a time. Just my thoughts.
Let us know what you decide, and what the results are.
Yeah this is most likely the approach I will take. I need to find a schematic how to remove the interior trim on the pillar. I've had bad experiences with breaking interior trims and don't want to cause unnecessary additional damage. I basically need access to something like this (taken from the B-pillar weld TSB):
Jeep Wrangler JL Slightly bent B-pillar on the driver side 1634121193054

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I would remove the rear door, put a 2 or 3 foot block of wood on the b pillar, and hit the wood with a 3 lb hammer. I would only concentrate on making the gap even. A 1/4 inch off at the outside of the b pillar hopefully/probably didn’t affect the inner part of it. If your not comfortable with that then a body shop can knock it back in place.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would remove the rear door, put a 2 or 3 foot block of wood on the b pillar, and hit the wood with a 3 lb hammer. I would only concentrate on making the gap even. A 1/4 inch off at the outside of the b pillar hopefully/probably didn’t affect the inner part of it. If your not comfortable with that then a body shop can knock it back in place.
I thought about the wooden block too, but It might damage the paint. You could wrap the pillar in a towel, then use the wooden block against the towel, for more accuracy, and less of a chance at bending an edge. Or, wrap the block of wood with a cloth.

OP
OP

afterdarq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
I thought about the wooden block too, but It might damage the paint. You could wrap the pillar in a towel, then use the wooden block against the towel, for more accuracy, and less of a chance at bending an edge. Or, wrap the block of wood with a cloth.

Thanks, I will try not to damage the paint, but if I manage to get this fixed somehow, I am willing to sacrifice the paint if necessary. Do you know what the steps are for the internal trim removal, does it start with the bolts that connect the roof or the ones that are for the speakers?

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I will try not to damage the paint, but if I manage to get this fixed somehow, I am willing to sacrifice the paint if necessary. Do you know what the steps are for the internal trim removal, does it start with the bolts that connect the roof or the ones that are for the speakers?
No idea.

Sponsored