Sponsored

Slight coolant smell, no trace of a leak anywhere that I can find.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
When rock wheeling a few months ago had a slam on a rock and got hung up a bit, went out to check where to try again and noticed a coolant smell. Never found any obvious leak and didn't really notice much difference in the coolant tank level.

Still notice a very faint coolant smell when the Jeep has been driven a while when I get back in my garage. The coolant tank level has gone down just a bit since that wheeling trip, like a 1/4". I've checked all the hose clamp areas, looked at the radiator the best I can, and checked around the coolant reservoir, nothing jumps out. Don't see any residue around the water pump. Just wondering if there's a place that's not obvious that I may have overlooked.
TIA.
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
The one place that I've read about on a 3.6 is to look in the front where a coolant pipe is pressed into the thermostat housing. Seems to be hard to spot since it can be a very minimal leak sometimes. Hidden behind the alternator, but can be see from below.

The problem with that pipe leaking is related to the factory assembly is just not pressing the pipe in place fully. I personally have not seen this on mine although I do catch a faint whiff of coolant on occasion. I'm sure there are several places for coolant to escape.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Radiator is the most likely leak on any Jeep, though they are fairly obvious.

Your Jeep isn’t having any Problems running on cold starts is it? No engine light?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
See if the local parts store rents pressure testers. If not, $89 at HF.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The one place that I've read about on a 3.6 is to look in the front where a coolant pipe is pressed into the thermostat housing. Seems to be hard to spot since it can be a very minimal leak sometimes. Hidden behind the alternator, but can be see from below.

The problem with that pipe leaking is related to the factory assembly is just not pressing the pipe in place fully. I personally have not seen this on mine although I do catch a faint whiff of coolant on occasion. I'm sure there are several places for coolant to escape.
I'll have to do some careful observation in that area, thanks!

Radiator is the most likely leak on any Jeep, though they are fairly obvious.

Your Jeep isn’t having any Problems running on cold starts is it? No engine light?
No, everything is running as normal, no CEL lights. Probably something so small that it just dries up tucked away in some small pocket somewhere in there :(

See if the local parts store rents pressure testers. If not, $89 at HF.
Have to see if I can rent one of those, wonder if I would be able to ID the leak since it seems like it's very minor???

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service

No, everything is running as normal, no CEL lights. Probably something so small that it just dries up tucked away in some small pocket somewhere in there :(

Have to see if I can rent one of those, wonder if I would be able to ID the leak since it seems like it's very minor???
Do the pressure test when cold, it will prevent evaporation. Looks for a pink crust on coolant system parts.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds

If you have a small leak that dries up quickly, there should be a pinkish residue left behind.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you have a small leak that dries up quickly, there should be a pinkish residue left behind.
I thought I would have seen some clues, but nothing that I can detect thus far. I'll keep looking in as many nooks & crannies I can find :)

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
This same issue perplexed me with my JKU. I came to the belief that it was the overflow tube. It vents down on purpose. Parking in a garage makes the odor more concentrated.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
This same issue perplexed me with my JKU. I came to the belief that it was the overflow tube. It vents down on purpose. Parking in a garage makes the odor more concentrated.
Same here. My JK would have a faint smell of coolant when I shut it off. Never found a leak and never had an overheating problem with it.

Sponsored

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I have a 2018 JL with only 20k miles. I’ve had the same issue. Slight coolant smell in the garage, never a drop on the floor. I had to add a quart or so to the coolant tank for the first time. When I brought it in for an oil change the mechanic noted I had a radiator leak. When I got home I got a flashlight out and looked around and found the pinkish coolant residue on the drivers side where the fins meet up with the plastic tank. After more googling, I found out this is a common problem. I am debating replacing the OEM with an all aluminum Cold-Case radiator. I don’t want to buy another radiator that has lots of unhappy users.
Anyone have experience with the cold case radiator?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I have a 2018 JL with only 20k miles. I’ve had the same issue. Slight coolant smell in the garage, never a drop on the floor. I had to add a quart or so to the coolant tank for the first time. When I brought it in for an oil change the mechanic noted I had a radiator leak. When I got home I got a flashlight out and looked around and found the pinkish coolant residue on the drivers side where the fins meet up with the plastic tank. After more googling, I found out this is a common problem. I am debating replacing the OEM with an all aluminum Cold-Case radiator. I don’t want to buy another radiator that has lots of unhappy users.
This area, drivers side where fins meet up with tank, is the weak link in the radiators on the JK’s. Primarily 2014 and 2015, but some Also on other years. I was not aware that this leaky radiator continued on into the JL’s.
I would stay with the OEM.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Not personally but the OEM sucks, the price isn’t bad onthe cold case. Go for it, let us know how it works out. I’m sure I’ll need another radiator within a few years. Mine leaked at the same spot.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's good info, I'll have to do some more digging into mine, it's a very minor leak but want things nice & tight.

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
That's good info, I'll have to do some more digging into mine, it's a very minor leak but want things nice & tight.
Same here. Mine is very minor, but it won’t fix itself. I don’t like smelling coolant, knowing there is a lingering issue.
Sponsored