Sponsored

bwest5

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 4 door
Thanks all for the ideas. I ended up buying a low profile marine inspection hatch from Bomar. It fits perfectly under the fridge slide. I moved my jack, lug wrench, recovery gear, etc. to that little storage compartment. I just need to slide the fridge all the way out, then the hatch is accessible.

Pics below...

4398EF6D-3667-4E78-8E7D-FD57C3462C38.jpeg

931287C8-4C2E-4208-9579-B0B009C5121A.jpeg

A2818A18-9991-4DBF-AC5B-C3FA0E7F9AD2.jpeg

D02481AD-BF4B-4551-A026-120D4646C7B2.jpeg
I just found this thread...would it be possible to share what you used to cut the panel for the hatch cover?

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I just found this thread...would it be possible to share what you used to cut the panel for the hatch cover?
@bwest5, I just pulled the whole thing out (it just slides out), put it on a couple saw horses, and drilled a hole big enough for a jig saw blade. Then I just used the jig saw like the one in the pic below to cut out the square. Easy peasy. The material is sort of like corrugated cardboard with a strong board on top and bottom. Not something you’d be able to cut with a utility knife.

Jeep Wrangler JL Slick way to access rear storage cubby with a fridge mounted 29326838-EE54-49D3-82DA-96705F572BFA

Last edited:

bwest5

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 4 door
@bwest5, I just pulled the whole thing out (it just slides out), put it on a couple saw horses, and drilled a hole big enough for a jig saw blade. Then I just used the jig saw like the one in the pic below to cut out the square. Easy peasy. The material is sort of like corrugated cardboard with a strong board on top and bottom. Not something you’d want to try to cut with a utility knife.

29326838-EE54-49D3-82DA-96705F572BFA.jpeg

Thank you!!! I hope you don't mind if I copy your solution to accessing the storage area under a fridge slide...I'll make sure you get credit!!! ;)

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I hope you don't mind if I copy your solution to accessing the storage area under a fridge slide...I'll make sure you get credit!!! ;)
Don’t mind at all! That’s why I shared the idea. Just paying it forward for some of the knowledge this forum has given me!

And I don’t need you to give me credit. Maybe just a small royalty check every time you show it off to someone :like:

Enjoy!

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I just cut the carpeted cover back to the hinge. the passenger 2/3 of the cover is separate now from the drivers 1/3 of cover. Works good. the material is corrugated cardboard sandwiched between plastic under the carpeting. the forward part of the cover that does not swing up was not cut.

Just curious, why is everyone wanting a slide for the fridge? You don't really create more space in the jeep with a slide out. Is the door of the fridge to tall to open enough for people using slide outs? My dometic cfx35 opens just fine with it parked behind the drivers side seating and the front of fridge right by the tailgate latch (covers up the stock 12V outlet, so I added outlets elsewhere). And as far as restraining the fridge, a short tight bungi in front and back to the forward and rear stock tie downs works perfect, fridge doesn't budge.

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
0147096D-7A98-40A4-97D8-370149C32908.jpeg
Just curious, why is everyone wanting a slide for the fridge? You don't really create more space in the jeep with a slide out. Is the door of the fridge to tall to open enough for people using slide outs?
Two reasons why I needed the slide for the fridge:

1. I installed a Vector GGB cargo basket above the fridge. The top of the fridge simply won’t open up unless it is slid out entirely from the cargo area of the Jeep.

2. Shorter family members can more easily access stuff in the bottom/back of a 50 liter fridge if it’s on a slide. Anything I can do to make camping more like “glamping” gets us out there more often, and makes her happier!

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR

1. I installed a Vector GGB cargo basket above the fridge. The top of the fridge simply won’t open up unless it is slid out entirely from the cargo area of the Jeep.

2. Shorter family members can more easily access stuff in the bottom/back of a 50 liter fridge if it’s on a slide. Anything I can do to make camping more like “glamping” gets us out there more often, and makes her happier!
ok, forgot about the shelf systems. that is an important reason.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR

Since slider are usually used with a boxbuilt around fridge, what is minimum clearance around vents holes without making fridge work too hard?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I agree that while I'm thankful for any storage from the factory it's about as smart as the Ridgeline's "trunk": keep all your important shit buried under your payload so when you really really need it you can't get to it.

With the muffler delete I've considered trying to access from the bottom but that's got a whole host of issues from weather tight-ness to convenience also...

Sponsored

Albertabackroad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler JLU sport. 2020 wrangler JLU rubicon
I strap my fridge to a platform that allows access to the rea4 cubby in my 2 door. The platform is bolted to the tub using the rear seatbelt bolts. In addition when the tailgate is locked everything underneath is secure.

View attachment 69854

F1EEA68F-9CA3-4ED8-9FD5-134F2D0E89E9.jpeg
That platform is fantastic. I’m planning to make one that slides out, what did you make it out of?

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
That platform is fantastic. I’m planning to make one that slides out, what did you make it out of?
Plywood, metal angle brackets that bolt to the rear seatbelt mounts. Plan on redoing it with aluminium if i get a chance.

Albertabackroad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler JLU sport. 2020 wrangler JLU rubicon
Plywood, metal angle brackets that bolt to the rear seatbelt mounts. Plan on redoing it with aluminium if i get a chance.
This is what I came up with; I don’t currently have a fridge, but I wanted a way to access my cooler without removing it, or get anything else without climbing in back!

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have a blueprint you followed? Or just wing it?
Made it up as I went along, would love to have something fabricated out of aluminum however but don’t have skills there.
Sponsored