First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
A deer antler shed took out 2 brand new 37-13.50 15 Pro comp xterrains 12 years ago! Tires had less
than 50 miles on them and they were on single bead locks. I feel your pain but still run beadlocks off road. Have had the inner beads knocked off by under water obstacles twice in the exact same spot on Upper Buzzworm in S. Dakota 2 years in a row! Still smillin' you do the same!
Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I've been riding in Arkansas Ozarks for a while and after having my nonbeadlock wheels debead on me twice at 15psi I decided that beadlocks were the way to go. When they debeaded I was going through a mudhole and something (rock or tree stump) must of pushed against the sidewall. I had a ton of mud and water inside the tire. I won't go into detail of how Discount Tire aired the tire back up and said "it's ready". I am curious how you balance a tire with all that in it???

I finally got to take the Jeep out this past weekend and see how the new beadlocks perform. I still only depressurerized them to 15 psi. I realize beadlocks can go down to maybe 5 psi, but I have to occasionally get on asphalt and gravel roads and go 50 mph when traveling between trails so I think 15psi is a good compromise. I also need my ground clearance and I would think <10psi would really reduce that. I made it about 2 days before my first tire somehow got it's sidewall slashed by a rock. I thought that sucks, but I have a spare. I swapped them out and continue on down the trail. At first I thought I would go ahead and enjoy my last day of trail ridding without a spare, but then I thought of how even the 0.1% chance of something bad happening tends to happen to me (I know......I know......call it pessimism) and so I decided it was best to go ahead and head back to campsite and leave. It's better to play it safe. Well I made it 15 more minutes and boom another tire goes. I said a few choice words and chewed myself out for a little bit because the rock that did it was obvious and somehow I completely missed it........I know.......man points lost........Luckily I was 200ft from the end of the trail so I slowly drove on the flat tire and reached the asphalt road. It was 3pm and by 930pm I had a tow truck!! I really want to vent on why it took 6 hrs, but I will try and maintain my maturity.

So I have been thinking are beadlocks really helping me?? What if in both cases I had a rock push against the sidewall and because I had beadlocks the next weakest link is the rubber itself and so the sidewall gets slashed and tire is toast. If I had nonbeadlocks the tire would have debeaded and I would have simply had to put a strap around the circumference and reseat the bead?? I'd have 2 perfectly good tires right now and I could have continued with my trip. Then again maybe my tire went up over these 2 rocks and then slide off and the tire sidewall got sandwiched between the rim edge and the rock and that sliced the tire. In this case I would imagine both types of rims would have led to a sliced sidewall.

Which type of rim is better for these trails? I'd rather have the lightweight, cheaper nonbeadlock rims that Discount Tire will work on, but if beadlocks are going to get me out of these trails more often then I'd stick with them.

Beadlock Pros:
1. Can't debead tire (but is this always a good thing????)
2. Can air down to 5 psi (doesn't apply to me because I need to drive 50mph occasionally; also airing down looses ground clearance which I need to get over rocks)
3. Tires can be mounted yourself (I might just keep a 6th bare tire with me, but it wouldn't be balanced). Although I have seen videos of people mounting tires on a nonbeadlock wheels by themselves.
4. As the edge of the rim (Beadlock Ring) gets damaged you can just replace the ring itself. Sometimes the rings are ridiculous prices though. The DV8 wheels I am using aren't bad. Replacement ring $75.

Beadlock Cons:
1. Cost more
2. Time consuming to mount tire. Seems like it takes a good 4 or more cycles around the rim to get all the bolts uniformly tightened.
3. Requires maintenance (checking the ring bolts periodically)
4. Heavier (robs power and gas mileage)
5. Tire companies won't touch them

I'm tempted to default to the most common rule reagarding beadlocks. If I don't air down to say 5psi then I don't need them (which I take to mean they would not benefit me). I'd really like to hear from people that have had both types of rims and who have a lot of experience going offroad. That will keep the thread short, to the point and hopefully provide more benefit to future readers.

PHOTO_20200606_104936.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_134232.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_141707.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_141831.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151524.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151531.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151719.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_213348.jpg
Sorry to see this happen. I once took a trip outside Florence AZ to some coke ovens a few years back, and the Firestone tires (all 4), had to be replaced. The vehicle was a 74 GMC Jimmy, and my buddy who I'ave done a lot of off-roading had to vomit twice. Me, I just grabbed another cold brew.

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Alright everyone..... I need some more help!

Got new tires installed and started to pull forward and steering wheel is 120 degrees off. Why would sliding off a rock and slashing tires do this? I guess I hit it harder than I thought. Do I need an alignment or should a more in depth inspection? I've looked underneath and nothing looks bent. I don't see any skipped threads on tie rod, drag link or track bar. Pitman arm has weird curve to it, but I believe it always been shaped that way.

The falcon steering stabilizer clamps to the tie rod. This clamp was knocked over a couple inches. I figured I must have hit it earlier in the day and I figured I just need to recenter the clamp. Now I wonder if this clamp movement is related to steering wheel being 120 degrees off. Also the aluminum clamp doesn't have any dent marks on it.

Ughhhhh....my luck lately with tires, Roadside assistance and now this is going to drive me crazy.......

Thanks for help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Dropping Jeep off at 4x4 shop in the morning. Wondering if it something in steering box or bent Pitman arm.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Dropping Jeep off at 4x4 shop in the morning. Wondering if it something in steering box or bent Pitman arm.
Good idea... make friends with your local 4x4 shop

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Looks about the same.

PHOTO_20200616_165249.jpg

PHOTO_20200616_165243.jpg

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
No offense but why would you beadlock and run the stock tires? They are load range c and are made for smooth ride.

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
No offense but why would you beadlock and run the stock tires? They are load range c and are made for smooth ride.
First 2 trips I took Jeep out I debeaded the tire so I switched to beadlocks. Now I solved debeading issue only to shift to Slicing. I'm averaging 1 tire failure per trip. Ironically it's the same trail. Although it's one of the more challenging trails. Most people are mesmerized a jeep can come back there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is stupid question but did you check to make sure your drag link adjuster nut is not loose and worked its way off alignment?

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
First 2 trips I took Jeep out I debeaded the tire so I switched to beadlocks. No I solved debeading issue only to shift to Slicing. I'm averaging 1 tire failure pur trip. Ironically it's the same trail. Although it's one of the more challenging trails. Most people are mesmerized a jeep can come back there.
Try stt pros or nitto trail grapps

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I know this is stupid question but did you check to make sure your drag link adjuster nut is not loose and worked its way off alignment?
Nuts are snug but I will admit that the ink line I drew on them doesn't line up.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Nuts are snug but I will admit that the ink line I drew on them doesn't line up.
May try that first and then drive to see how it feels. Don’t do 80 on the freeway though :)

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Try stt pros or nitto trail grapps
I'm going to see if I slice any more KO2s between now and Labor day. If I do I'm probably going to buy a set of STT Pros at 15% off at DT. They had that sale last year.
Sponsored