LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Maybe it's possible the source of my problems is the KO2s. Has anybody thought of that? Just trying to think outside the box.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Maybe it's possible the source of my problems is the KO2s. Has anybody thought of that? Just trying to think outside the box.
Lol....now we might be on to something :LOL:

20 years ago, the bfg ko at was the tire to get for all around performance. I think for a family vehicle that’s a pavement pounder they are still fine. For your build and what you’re doing, I think you’d be better servered with a good ole nasty aggressive sidewalled proven off road tire.

Brett

Last edited:
OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I do have to put a decent blame on myself especially on the 2nd flat. I didn't notice the rock at all...... Guess I was looking elsewhere. I must have put the edge of the tire right in line with edge of rock. I felt and heard it, jumped out of Jeep and was amazed to see such a large rock that I somehow completely missed. If I would have gone further left I would have avoided it. If I would have gone right I would have put tire completely on top of it. Not sure a mud tire would have just been scratched. In terms of the first flat I don't remember seeing or feeling anything. I walked back a few feet and found this rectangular rock sitting on its side with black rub marks so I think it was the culprit.

I might need a replacement driver......

Jeep Wrangler JL Sliced 2 BFG KO2s 10 minutes apart on Arkansas trails 20200613_081843

Jeep Wrangler JL Sliced 2 BFG KO2s 10 minutes apart on Arkansas trails 20200613_081823

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
On my first 2 Jeeps I would only run BFG. I loved the original MT. Heck my Dad ran them on his truck when I was a kid. But things have changed with the design. I don't know if it was intentional to get a better ride and appeal to more drivers, or what. But I have seen more BFG ATs and MTs with sliced sidewalls in the past 10 years than any other off road tire. I wish they offered the Baja as DOT approved. As it seems to have a great sidewall.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I take it all BFG KO2's are not E-Rated? I have BFG KO2's 275/70R/18 E-Rated tires. They are a little harder ride wise but I take it better sidewalls? Still learning.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I do have to put a decent blame on myself especially on the 2nd flat. I didn't notice the rock at all...... Guess I was looking elsewhere. I must have put the edge of the tire right in line with edge of rock. I felt and heard it, jumped out of Jeep and was amazed to see such a large rock that I somehow completely missed. If I would have gone further left I would have avoided it. If I would have gone right I would have put tire completely on top of it. Not sure a mud tire would have just been scratched. In terms of the first flat I don't remember seeing or feeling anything. I walked back a few feet and found this rectangular rock sitting on its side with black rub marks so I think it was the culprit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sliced 2 BFG KO2s 10 minutes apart on Arkansas trails 20200613_081823

That rock was just bad luck. That thing looks nasty! Don’t even want to speculate that other tires wouldn’t done better but it could’ve damaged a stronger tire so bad that it blew out on the way home and you missed seeing the cut when airing up. In that case, maybe your tires saved you from a really bad day! Taking lemons and making lemonade!

Brett

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

I have driven, squished, and rubbed against sharper rocks than that on my Falkens and been fine. Hope it stays that wat

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

No it's definitely your tires. I drive the Nittos through trails covered in rocks like that all day long. Not a single issue.

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I've read numerous very positive reviews on KO2s. Very strong sidewalls..... 20% stronger.... Core gard technology and I've read numerous threads where people tell me to run. Not sure there's a tire out there that's all positive. Thought about Cooper STT Pros. Again one guy gets 60k miles out of them, one guy can't make it to 25k with 5k rotations. One guy says they're just as quiet as A/T and another says they just keep getting louder and louder.

I want strong sidewalls, but I want decent life, not too loud, pretty good offroad but safe on wet Asphalt (drifting around a bend in my Milestars left a stain in my pants). If I was still driving a RZR I'd want exceptional offroad performance, but I'm driving a Jeep and it still has to get me around town and back and forth to the trails.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've read numerous very positive reviews on KO2s. Very strong sidewalls..... 20% stronger.... Core gard technology and I've read numerous threads where people tell me to run. Not sure there's a tire out there that's all positive. Thought about Cooper STT Pros. Again one guy gets 60k miles out of them, one guy can't make it to 25k with 5k rotations. One guy says they're just as quiet as A/T and another says they just keep getting louder and louder.

I want strong sidewalls, but I want decent life, not too loud, pretty good offroad but safe on wet Asphalt (drifting around a bend in my Milestars left a stain in my pants). If I was still driving a RZR I'd want exceptional offroad performance, but I'm driving a Jeep and it still has to get me around town and back and forth to the trails.
Well if I split 2 sidewalls in the same day I would definitely run, but maybe that's just me.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I hope we're getting trolled. I'm out
It isnt a wrong view to have. One slice, sure, expected even. Two on the same trail across different terrain, happens. Two on the same mild terrain close together? That indicates the tire isnt meant for the conditions. I wouldnt fault the tire if several folks on the trail having different tires were all getting flats

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
bout 2 days before my first tire somehow got it's sidewall slashed by a rock. I thought that sucks, but I have a spare. I swapped them out and continue on down the trail. At

So I have been thinking are beadlocks really helping me?? What if in both cases I had a rock push against the sidewall and because I had beadlocks the next weakest link is the rubber itself and so the sidewall gets slashed and tire is toast. If I had nonbeadlocks the tire would have debeaded and I would have simply had to put a strap around the circumference and reseat the bead?? I'd have 2 perfectly good tires right now and I could have continued with my trip. Then again maybe my tire went up over these 2 rocks and then slide off and the tire sidewall got sandwiched between the rim edge and the rock and that sliced the tire. In this case I would imagine both types of rims would have led to a sliced sidewall.

Which type of rim is better for these trails? I'd rather have the lightweight, cheaper nonbeadlock rims that Discount Tire will work on, but if beadlocks are going to get me out of these trails more often then I'd stick with them.

Beadlock Pros:
1. Can't debead tire (but is this always a good thing????)
2. Can air down to 5 psi (doesn't apply to me because I need to drive 50mph occasionally; also airing down looses ground clearance which I need to get over rocks)
3. Tires can be mounted yourself (I might just keep a 6th bare tire with me, but it wouldn't be balanced). Although I have seen videos of people mounting tires on a nonbeadlock wheels by themselves.
4. As the edge of the rim (Beadlock Ring) gets damaged you can just replace the ring itself. Sometimes the rings are ridiculous prices though. The DV8 wheels I am using aren't bad. Replacement ring $75.

Beadlock Cons:
1. Cost more
2. Time consuming to mount tire. Seems like it takes a good 4 or more cycles around the rim to get all the bolts uniformly tightened.
3. Requires maintenance (checking the ring bolts periodically)
4. Heavier (robs power and gas mileage)
5. Tire companies won't touch them

I'm tempted to default to the most common rule reagarding beadlocks. If I don't air down to say 5psi then I don't need them (which I take to mean they would not benefit me). I'd really like to hear from people that have had both types of rims and who have a lot of experience going offroad. That will keep the thread short, to the point and hopefully provide more benefit to future readers.

PHOTO_20200606_104936.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_134232.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_141707.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_141831.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151524.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151531.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151719.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_213348.jpg
I've been riding in Arkansas Ozarks for a while and after having my nonbeadlock wheels debead on me twice at 15psi I decided that beadlocks were the way to go. When they debeaded I was going through a mudhole and something (rock or tree stump) must of pushed against the sidewall. I had a ton of mud and water inside the tire. I won't go into detail of how Discount Tire aired the tire back up and said "it's ready". I am curious how you balance a tire with all that in it???

I finally got to take the Jeep out this past weekend and see how the new beadlocks perform. I still only depressurerized them to 15 psi. I realize beadlocks can go down to maybe 5 psi, but I have to occasionally get on asphalt and gravel roads and go 50 mph when traveling between trails so I think 15psi is a good compromise. I also need my ground clearance and I would think <10psi would really reduce that. I made it about 2 days before my first tire somehow got it's sidewall slashed by a rock. I thought that sucks, but I have a spare. I swapped them out and continue on down the trail. At first I thought I would go ahead and enjoy my last day of trail ridding without a spare, but then I thought of how even the 0.1% chance of something bad happening tends to happen to me (I know......I know......call it pessimism) and so I decided it was best to go ahead and head back to campsite and leave. It's better to play it safe. Well I made it 15 more minutes and boom another tire goes. I said a few choice words and chewed myself out for a little bit because the rock that did it was obvious and somehow I completely missed it........I know.......man points lost........Luckily I was 200ft from the end of the trail so I slowly drove on the flat tire and reached the asphalt road. It was 3pm and by 930pm I had a tow truck!! I really want to vent on why it took 6 hrs, but I will try and maintain my maturity.

So I have been thinking are beadlocks really helping me?? What if in both cases I had a rock push against the sidewall and because I had beadlocks the next weakest link is the rubber itself and so the sidewall gets slashed and tire is toast. If I had nonbeadlocks the tire would have debeaded and I would have simply had to put a strap around the circumference and reseat the bead?? I'd have 2 perfectly good tires right now and I could have continued with my trip. Then again maybe my tire went up over these 2 rocks and then slide off and the tire sidewall got sandwiched between the rim edge and the rock and that sliced the tire. In this case I would imagine both types of rims would have led to a sliced sidewall.

Which type of rim is better for these trails? I'd rather have the lightweight, cheaper nonbeadlock rims that Discount Tire will work on, but if beadlocks are going to get me out of these trails more often then I'd stick with them.

Beadlock Pros:
1. Can't debead tire (but is this always a good thing????)
2. Can air down to 5 psi (doesn't apply to me because I need to drive 50mph occasionally; also airing down looses ground clearance which I need to get over rocks)
3. Tires can be mounted yourself (I might just keep a 6th bare tire with me, but it wouldn't be balanced). Although I have seen videos of people mounting tires on a nonbeadlock wheels by themselves.
4. As the edge of the rim (Beadlock Ring) gets damaged you can just replace the ring itself. Sometimes the rings are ridiculous prices though. The DV8 wheels I am using aren't bad. Replacement ring $75.

Beadlock Cons:
1. Cost more
2. Time consuming to mount tire. Seems like it takes a good 4 or more cycles around the rim to get all the bolts uniformly tightened.
3. Requires maintenance (checking the ring bolts periodically)
4. Heavier (robs power and gas mileage)
5. Tire companies won't touch them

I'm tempted to default to the most common rule reagarding beadlocks. If I don't air down to say 5psi then I don't need them (which I take to mean they would not benefit me). I'd really like to hear from people that have had both types of rims and who have a lot of experience going offroad. That will keep the thread short, to the point and hopefully provide more benefit to future
PHOTO_20200607_141831.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151524.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151531.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_151719.jpg

PHOTO_20200607_213348.jpg
$

if people insist on taking on razor edge boulders a Fred Flintstone tire is a better choice.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I've pulled nails and screws out of my Toyo MT's. Hell, I had a sheetrock screw in one last week, got the patch kit out. Grabbed it with pliers and started to put the plug in.. it wasn't losing air. Still hasn't lost any. I've had sidewall tears on both BFG and Goodyear duratracks. NEVER a Toyo MT.

As for the 6 hour flatbed tow.. they don't like having to drive out to remote locations. I lost a fuel pump in the Pike National Forest. It took them about 6 hours as well to get to me. Then the driver gets out of the tow truck and immediately starts puking. I thought it might the altitude or having to drive a tow truck up to get me. Coming back down wasn't fun either. Fortunately my First Guard bumper to bumper warranty paid for the $500 tow.
Sponsored