Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Not saying you're wrong but he already has the wheels
More than the OP will read this thread. Info is great. And since I no longer stand to profit from the sales....

I'm just trying to help.
Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Used to. Haven't worked there for the past 7 months. I stand behind the principle just as I have for the past 10 years.

If you're up for a healthy debate I'm game.
That's fair. Nothing to debate, if OP said he was looking for some wheels and you recommended trail worthy I wouldn't disagree with you, they are good wheels.

More than the OP will read this thread. Info is great. And since I no longer stand to profit from the sales....

I'm just trying to help.
Agreed, cheers.

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Double beadlocks keep the rim and tire seated the best but aren't there times where something sharp or small is pushing against the tire wall and you'd rather have it debead than puncture?? Even Trailrecon has switched back to non beadlocks. I believe the main reason was he wanted the tire shops to be willing to work on his wheels.

Last edited:

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I designed the 17" double bead lock for TWF. I'm obviously biased towards them. But I also believe that many people in the bead lock market have been conditioned to buy stuff they don't really understand.

Look at the off road racing market. Most all of the single bead lock competitors were all running tire balls. That isn't exactly apples to oranges. Now ask me if the competitors are running the same cast wheels the end user purchases.

I've been into Jeeps for 20 years. I've learned that people are going to purchase whatever they believe to be the best for them. There are so many different factors at play. Budget, knowledge, availability. All of it factors in so I'm trying to add some decent info into the interwebs so people can make a better informed decision.

There are advantages and disadvantages in every choice you make in the off road world. Whether it be single bead lock or double.... running a bead lock is always an advantage over running without them.

Always felt like it was similar to the first time I put my Jeep on a trailer. I knew I could get it home. With bead locks... just one less thi

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Double beadlocks keep the rim and tire seated the best but aren't there times where something sharp or small is pushing against the tire wall and you'd rather have it debead than puncture?? Even a certain overlander (can't remember if its OK to reference him or not) has switched back to non beadlocks.

In slow situations having a tire debead is easy to remedy. I've seen people pop a tire back on in many different ways. Ratchet straps, ether, cussing. Just have to be prepared for it.

I will never get there personally. I believe keeping the tire on the wheel will lead to less head ache in the majority of situations. I have shit luck. So I try to accommodate that as much as possible. Usually where you punch a tire off the wheel isn't the spot you want to reseat the bead.

Just my opinion though. I feel like the only truth to all of this is go prepared regardless of what you run. Only time I ever popped a tire was when I didn't have a spare with me. Just like the glass coverage I pay for on my insurance policy. Now that I have the insurance I'll probably never bust another windshield. LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I designed the 17" double bead lock for TWF. I'm obviously biased towards them. But I also believe that many people in the bead lock market have been conditioned to buy stuff they don't really understand.

Look at the off road racing market. Most all of the single bead lock competitors were all running tire balls. That isn't exactly apples to oranges. Now ask me if the competitors are running the same cast wheels the end user purchases.

I've been into Jeeps for 20 years. I've learned that people are going to purchase whatever they believe to be the best for them. There are so many different factors at play. Budget, knowledge, availability. All of it factors in so I'm trying to add some decent info into the interwebs so people can make a better informed decision.

There are advantages and disadvantages in every choice you make in the off road world. Whether it be single bead lock or double.... running a bead lock is always an advantage over running without them.

Always felt like it was similar to the first time I put my Jeep on a trailer. I knew I could get it home. With bead locks... just one less thi
I always thought beadlocks were safer, but first trip out and 2 tires get slashed and I start to think hmmmm......if I had nonbeadlocks maybe the tire would have just debeaded. I would have 2 good tires, not waited 6 hrs on tow truck and not have to be towed 3 hrs back to the house the next day. I don't know.......

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I always thought beadlocks were safer, but first trip out and 2 tires get slashed and I start to think hmmmm......if I had nonbeadlocks maybe the tire would have just debeaded. I would have 2 good tires, not waited 6 hrs on tow truck and not have to be towed 3 hrs back to the house the next day. I don't know.......

I hear you. I have hundreds of people who tell me the Arkansas trees are side wall killers. I went to Byrd's and Hot Springs and the majority of people all ran swampers due to their thicker side walls.

If we could figure out a way to not puncture side walls you and I should go into business together. ;)

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The issue is you're running a ko2 for wheelin terrain with sharp rocks/stumps and claim to not be mindful watching out for potential trail hazards. You need a proper offroad tire with a stronger sidewall mounted on your beadlocks...something like a Nitto Trail Grappler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I hear you. I have hundreds of people who tell me the Arkansas trees are side wall killers. I went to Byrd's and Hot Springs and the majority of people all ran swampers due to their thicker side walls.

If we could figure out a way to not puncture side walls you and I should go into business together. ;)
I was staying at Byrds. Trail was right around the corner from them.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
I'm not going to post on here that the only sidewall I ever cut was a BFG KO, because I'm superstitious. If I were to post that, I would slice the sidewall of my Nittos the next time I go out. So there...I'm not going to say it!

Sponsored

OP
OP
LUV2JEEP

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I picked up 3 new KO2s today. 2 to replace the 2 the ripped and 1 for a 2nd spare. Just not sure what to do. This tire/wheel delima is going to drive me crazy. Maybe I should change title....

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I picked up 3 new KO2s today. 2 to replace the 2 the ripped and 1 for a 2nd spare. Just not sure what to do. This tire/wheel delima is going to drive me crazy. Maybe I should change title....
Doesn't seem complicated...didnt you say you haven't debeaded a tire after switching to beadlocks? If so, that should solve the debeading issue. Now you are having issues cutting ko2's which arent designed to have a super strong sidewall or for wheelin tougher terrain. Why not sell the ko2's and get a more durable tire designed for wheelin around stumps/sharp rocks/mud? Nitto trail grappler would hold up better or ridge grappler if you want a hybrid that rides better on the street. Cooper STT Pro or Toyo M/T would also be more durable in the conditions you're wheelin.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Doesn't seem complicated...didnt you say you haven't debeaded a tire after switching to beadlocks? If so, that should solve the debeading issue. Now you are having issues cutting ko2's which arent designed to have a super strong sidewall or for wheelin tougher terrain. Why not sell the ko2's and get a more durable tire designed for wheelin around stumps/sharp rocks/mud? Nitto trail grappler would hold up much better or ridge grappler if you want a hybrid that rides better on the street. Cooper STT Pro or Toyo M/T would also be more durable in the conditions you're wheelin.
I have heard great things about Falkens. I drive mine through creeks weekly and hope that they will never get sliced. Local Jeep/off-road shop told me they have never seen a Falken sliced, after they sold me the tires with warranty