Sleeping Pad in the JL Unlimited

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I made a pretty cool little sleeping platform that doubles as storage underneath and cooler on top when I’m not on a solo trip.

Took out the 40% side rear seat. Basically a wood platform leveled with the rear area. Piano hinge that folds forward when I slide the driver seat all the way forward. I fit laying straight and I’m 6’2.

Oh and a home depot 3” foam mattress I cut to fit. Basically those little wooden supports I made go in the holes when I flip the extension forward. There are two further back as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm used many different options in sleeping in the back of the JK and had finally discovered the the NitePad (https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Wrangler-2007-2017-1-5-inch-Portable/dp/B01M8NH4OB, https://www.altitudejeep.com/products/nitepad-premium-portable-sleeping-pad-cushion) but I knew the JL was on the horizon so didn't get it. I contact Xprite and they have no plans to make a pad for the JL anytime soon. Skydiving season is starting and I sleep in the back of my Jeep most times at the DZ so I want to find a solution. There are air mattress options but they don't seem to have positive feedback for the most part (https://www.amazon.com/PAVONI-Heavy...8&qid=1522447431&sr=8-4&keywords=suv+mattress). I started to measure and may make a custom one for me but I wanted to see what other JL owners have done for sleeping in the back. Before buying some memory foam and fabric and building something I figured I'd see if anybody else has found or come up with a good solution or plan.

For what it's worth, I ordered the Xprite pad, and immediately sent it back. There's a number of "home-brew" solutions, however, being NOT handy with power tools and wood I decided to order a goose-gear system for the back of my JL. That "canyon" that exists between the folded rear seats and the back simply cannot be dealt with short of removing the seat, and building or ordering a custom system altogether. My 2005 Xterra had it's shit together this way as the rear seats folded flat, no gape. :)

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Gonna have to figure out something soon for myself.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
E9C5B2ED-EA9E-45D0-81EB-50F6B602D183.jpeg
I removed rear seat. Then I cut this to fit. The whole job took an hour.
The front sits on 50 cal ammo cans. Perfect height.
All tools and recovery gear, including Hi-Lift, fit underneath.
I considered hinging it, but decided it’s easier to just pull it out the door.
Need to paint it, though.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ive just used my backpacking REI flash pad and a comforter. done this a few times with just me. when my girl comes along we tent it for now. looking to get a Maximus-3 roof rack and a roam RTT hard shell. should fix all my needs

29_Palms

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for all who shared innovative ideas on this.

I am going camping in near freezing temperatures in a week, too cold for a tent. Since I am 5'9" and my girlfriend is 5'3" I went with this setup. Fits pretty well, just going to pack some jackets on the sides, add lots of blankets and a couple of pillows from home. Filled very quickly with supplied pump that just plugs in the 12v plug in back. It took just a few minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S36P8JR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also a thanks to @banessi for doing the legwork on the internal tailgate release. That goes in tomorrow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping Pad in the JL Unlimited IMG_3883

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Thanks for all who shared innovative ideas on this.

I am going camping in near freezing temperatures in a week, too cold for a tent. Since I am 5'9" and my girlfriend is 5'3" I went with this setup. Fits pretty well, just going to pack some jackets on the sides, add lots of blankets and a couple of pillows from home. Filled very quickly with supplied pump that just plugs in the 12v plug in back. It took just a few minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S36P8JR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also a thanks to @banessi for doing the legwork on the internal tailgate release. That goes in tomorrow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping Pad in the JL Unlimited IMG_3883
Make sure to put a few blankets underneath you! Air mattresses are horrible for cold weather. Practically no insulation and you’ll feel the cold big time underneath you.

Much more expensive but the pads like REI camp dreamer or exped Megamat are awesome in cold weather. Way more comfortable too so that’s another plus.

29_Palms

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Make sure to put a few blankets underneath you! Air mattresses are horrible for cold weather. Practically no insulation and you’ll feel the cold big time underneath you.

Much more expensive but the pads like REI camp dreamer or exped Megamat are awesome in cold weather. Way more comfortable too so that’s another plus.
I will do just that, and will check on the pads... Thanks!

JL2021guy

First Name
JL2021guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler rubicon 3.6
Occupation
Jeep fun