Sponsored

Sleeping Pad in the JL Unlimited

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm used many different options in sleeping in the back of the JK and had finally discovered the the NitePad (https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Wrangler-2007-2017-1-5-inch-Portable/dp/B01M8NH4OB, https://www.altitudejeep.com/products/nitepad-premium-portable-sleeping-pad-cushion) but I knew the JL was on the horizon so didn't get it. I contact Xprite and they have no plans to make a pad for the JL anytime soon. Skydiving season is starting and I sleep in the back of my Jeep most times at the DZ so I want to find a solution. There are air mattress options but they don't seem to have positive feedback for the most part (https://www.amazon.com/PAVONI-Heavy...8&qid=1522447431&sr=8-4&keywords=suv+mattress). I started to measure and may make a custom one for me but I wanted to see what other JL owners have done for sleeping in the back. Before buying some memory foam and fabric and building something I figured I'd see if anybody else has found or come up with a good solution or plan.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
How could you possibly be comfortable back there, you can't even lay down straight.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
If you slide the seats forward it's 72" tall. Should be comfortable for most people. The cut out where the center console is makes that section 69". The width is 54" where it isn't tapered. Looking on Amazon now and thinking about buying a full foam mattress like this one and cutting it down. Most of the full size mattresses are 72" x 54" -ish so you can cut out the section for the center console and the taper at the gate. Looks like you can cut them with an electric carving knife. You need a little support under where your head would be because of the foot well for the rear seats and if you've got cloth seats I might need support at the dip since cloth didn't come with the gap cover.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
This topic makes me think my decision to get the wrangler wasn’t the best idea. The other option was the 4Runner but I’m hoping the top off and doors off experience this summer makes up for the lack of room when sleeping in the vehicle.

I’m curious to find out how others are sleeping in the back of their unlimiteds, especially couples.

jeepfandotcom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepfan.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Grey JLUR 4xe, 2004 TJ, 1978 CJ-5
I've slept in the back of my 4 door JK's many times. I'm 5'10" and an air mattress on the passenger side will fit even with the driver side of the rear seat still up to sit on. Fitting two people would be tight. I've found sleeping in the Jeep when the hard top is on it rather quiet and comfortable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's always this option too.
I live with this for months at a time for work.
20180130_145200.jpg
20180206_102348.jpg
20180206_102601.jpg
Probably a little more unnecessarily robust than my cut up foam pad idea. That's cool though.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Probably a little more unnecessarily robust than my cut up foam pad idea. That's cool though.
Thanks, just a thought.

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Thanks, just a thought.
Your setup looks awesome!

Alright, spent the last several hours looking at options on Amazon. I'm going to buy this one and cut to shape. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SF6QS...colid=UV0KZOTCCHEO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Could you take pics and take notes along the way? Very interested to see how this turns out. I think I recall a redditor doing a setup like this but attaching it to the cargo area and the backs of the rear seats so when the seats were folded down the bed was always available!
Sponsored